Tim Marciniak

Default Need Advice for Fabricating Engine Support Bridge

I am trying to design and fabricate an Engine Support Bridge. For those
not familiar this would be similar in function to a hoist but it is a
framework that would fit over the engine (in a car or truck) and be
supported at two points on the cars inner fender lip that meets the hood.
Basically this would consist of a horzontal bar about 48 inch long
supported at two end points about 12 inch above the engine. This is a
rough idea of what it should look like. I will hang chain from the
horizontal piece.

===================================
x x
x x
x x

I want to know what type of steel and form I should use. It has to be
weldable (I have access to gas welding). The frame should be capable of
supporting 350 to 500 lbs. I am thinking something tubular but since I
dont have any depth of knowledge on whats available I thought i would
ask.

thanks

Tim
Leo Lichtman

Tim Marciniak wrote: (clip) I am thinking something tubular (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lets see if I can get a discussion started. Tubular would be fine, as would
a number of other shapes. I picture using angle iron to fit on the edges of
the engine compartment, next to the fenders (if you are in USA.) If you
have to buy a 20' length of angle, I suggest you weld two pieces together to
form a T-section, for the rest of the bridge. In other words, two 4' pieces
together would form the "bridge." Two one-foot pieces on each end, either
vertical or at about a 30 degree angle would give you the height. And, I
figure you can get it all out of one length of material, so that's all you
will have to buy. Any scraps that are left can be used to brace the
corners, if you want.

Probably 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 would be plenty strong, and still easy to
lift.

Doug Arthurs

I jut fiinished removing and reinstalling my sons 5 speed trans on his front
drive car. I used a piece of 1-1/2 square tubing cut to span the engine
compartment and rest inside the fenders. We drilled a 1 in hole above the
lifting eye for the engine. Then took a 18" piece of 7/8 threaded rod and
welded a hook to the end of it. Ran the rod through the hole put a large
washer and nut on and hooked the egine lifting eye. We then tightened the
nut until it took the weight of the engine and used it to lift and lower the
engine to allow the trans to come out and go back in. Worked great but we'd
need to make another if we did a different car because of the fixed length.

--
Doug Arthurs
Kent Bridge, On

Check out my website at http://www.netrover.com/~arthurs/
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

[...]

Leo Lichtman

Tim Marciniak wrote: (clip) Is the ordinary garden variety of angle iron
from the hardware store ok. (clip)
There may be angle-iron available with special properties, but I wouldn't
bother. A job like this can be done with the kind of steel that is readily
available, and then you won't have to worry about special welding
techniques, However, I suggest you go to a steel company and buy a 20'
length. You will have a better choice of sizes, and will pay much less per
foot.

If you are worried about hauling it, a 20' length can be tied under a car
more easily than on top.