Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My new engine hoist

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 07:43:56 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

The wheels do
swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work
really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in
order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty
help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel
casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That
really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron
without grunting.

It's getting that ton of arn up into the air almost a _foot_ which was
the real task, eh? 'Cept for that, I love larger casters.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Grease dem puppies, boy!

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.