Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AC question

I know it's kinda OT but ...

My son called last night to say his central AC wasn't cooling . Went over
early this am and found that the fuse had seriously overheated , to the
point that the contact has lost tension and no longer grips the tab on the
fuse carrier (he's calling a 'lectrician today to replace it with a breaker
panel) . I rewired the AC over to the stove fuse , and neither the
compressor or fan will come on . Meter checks tell me that when he turns it
to "cool" the relay engages , and there's power to the motors - 247V
unloaded , drops to 230+- when the relay closes .
I suspect that due to poor contacts , the voltage drop at the unit has
burned up both the fan and compressor motors ... anybody out there with
experience in the field that can shed more light on this ?
I considered that maybe the capacitor has gone bad , but I'm not sure ,
and that wouldn't(shouldn't ?) cause the overheating problem in the fuse box
.. We're having record high temps here , and I surely don't have room for him
and his two roomies at my house , since the eldest and his spawn have moved
back in .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
[...]

It was the cap ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

(...)

It was the cap ...

So fuse holders are there to protect the fuses, eh?

Glad you found it. One RCM attaboy.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wish I was more help. I've done some HVAC repair. I read
your writing, twice, and nothing comes to mind. I'd call
someone else who has electrical experience. Maybe two of
you, together, can troubleshoot?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Snag wrote:

(...)

It was the cap ...

So fuse holders are there to protect the fuses, eh?

Glad you found it. One RCM attaboy.

--Winston

I had help , talked to an AC guy that the property management company I
sometimes work for uses . I didn't know it , but a bad cap can do in a fuse
.. Breaker would more than likely have tripped from the heat , I was told .
But they got cool now , and they are happy .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Wish I was more help. I've done some HVAC repair. I read
your writing, twice, and nothing comes to mind. I'd call
someone else who has electrical experience. Maybe two of
you, together, can troubleshoot?

--
Christopher A. Young

See my response to Winston .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/4/2011 3:13 PM, Snag wrote:

It was the cap ...

Remember, I had the same problem (almost) and it too was the cap. The
top bulged a bit to automatically disconnect and save the fan motors. I
bet you feel good about THAT!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 8/4/2011 3:13 PM, Snag wrote:

It was the cap ...

Remember, I had the same problem (almost) and it too was the cap. The
top bulged a bit to automatically disconnect and save the fan motors.
I bet you feel good about THAT!

Not as good as my son does ! He's decided to bite the bullet and have a
breaker box installed , get rid of the fuses . The fact that his stove is
disconnected might have something to do with that ... I moved the AC supply
wires over to the stove fuse , ain't no way I'd trust the one it was hooked
to . I'd do the install myself , but insurance companies get real funny
about non-licensed electricians doing that sort of thing .
I'll be going over tomorrow to check the refrigerant charge , see if we
need to have it serviced by a "licensed professional" . When I left the low
side line was quite warm , but then the temps inside were in the high 90's .
We'll see where it's at when it's had time to stabilize a bit .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-04, Snag wrote:
I know it's kinda OT but ...

[...]
.

Actually -- it could. Based on when my compressor cap went bad,
what happens is that the motor tries to start, but keeps drawing current
until the overheat switch in the compressor opens. It recloses after a
certain number of minutes (IIRC, it was about ten minutes or so.) I
don't know how long it took to reach that point, but after everything
was hot, it took about 15-20 seconds for the overheat switch to open
each time. The lights dimmed each time it came on, and brightened when
it opened again, which says a lot of current was being drawn.

This is a lot more current -- and for a lot longer -- than the
normal starting surge. So it will heat the fuse clips enough to
eventually cook off the fuse itself.

Replace the cap -- note that it is a *run* cap, not a starting
cap. A starting cap will blow up very quickly in this service.

Mine had two caps in a single package -- something like 45 uF
for the compressor cap, and 15 uF for the fan cap. It happened to open
at the common ground, so I missed it when trying to measure it in place
by disconnecting only one side at a time.

We're having record high temps here , and I surely don't have room for him
and his two roomies at my house , since the eldest and his spawn have moved
back in .

Of course -- air conditioners don't fail (or don't get noticed
to fail) when the temperature is other than record high. I've been
there too many times.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

I know it's kinda OT but ...

My son called last night to say his central AC wasn't cooling . Went
over
early this am and found that the fuse had seriously overheated , to the
point that the contact has lost tension and no longer grips the tab on the
fuse carrier (he's calling a 'lectrician today to replace it with a
breaker panel) . I rewired the AC over to the stove fuse , and neither the
compressor or fan will come on . Meter checks tell me that when he turns
it to "cool" the relay engages , and there's power to the motors - 247V
unloaded , drops to 230+- when the relay closes .
I suspect that due to poor contacts , the voltage drop at the unit has
burned up both the fan and compressor motors ... anybody out there with
experience in the field that can shed more light on this ?

As far as my two bits, this is one of the times that you want to call the
pros, unless you already are one.

When a fuse blows, especially something like the AC to an A/C (heh), you
first must fix what blew the fuse in the first place. If the socket
overheated, then there's some other problem, but I'd still call for a
pro.

Good Luck!
Richh

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmm. Is Winston more handsome than I? Why did he get the
answ.... oh, yeah. Musta been my garlic breath. Sorry!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Wish I was more help. I've done some HVAC repair. I read
your writing, twice, and nothing comes to mind. I'd call
someone else who has electrical experience. Maybe two of
you, together, can troubleshoot?

--
Christopher A. Young

See my response to Winston .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Glad the tenants are comfortable.

In your learning, please take a course in punctuation, and
English usage.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag"
wrote in message ...

I had help , talked to an AC guy that the property
management company I
sometimes work for uses . I didn't know it , but a bad cap
can do in a fuse
.. Breaker would more than likely have tripped from the heat
, I was told .
But they got cool now , and they are happy .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Glad the tenants are comfortable.

In your learning, please take a course in punctuation, and
English usage.

--
Christopher A. Young

And exactly what is wrong with my punctuation and English usage ? I
consider my usage of the language to be a cut above most people I know , and
am a bit peeved that you think you need to comment .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Wish I was more help. I've done some HVAC repair. I read
your writing, twice, and nothing comes to mind. I'd call
someone else who has electrical experience. Maybe two of
you, together, can troubleshoot?

--
Christopher A. Young

See my response to Winston .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Feelin' a bit ****y tonight are we ? The response to Winston was that I DID
have help in diagnosing the problem .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

Not as good as my son does [do not put a space between the
word and the punctuation symbol]! He's decided to bite the
bullet and have a
breaker box installed [do not put a space between the word
and the punctuation symbol], get rid of the fuses [do not
put a space between the word and the punctuation symbol].
The fact that his stove is
disconnected might have something to do with that ... I
moved the AC supply
wires over to the stove fuse [do not put a space between the
word and the punctuation symbol], ain't no way I'd trust the
one it was hooked
to [do not put a space between the word and the punctuation
symbol]. I'd do the install myself [do not put a space
between the word and the punctuation symbol], but insurance
companies get real funny
about non-licensed electricians doing that sort of thing [do
not put a space between the word and the punctuation
symbol].
I'll be going over tomorrow to check the refrigerant
charge [do not put a space between the word and the
punctuation symbol], see if we
need to have it serviced by a "licensed professional" [do
not put a space between the word and the punctuation
symbol]. When I left the low
side line was quite warm [do not put a space between the
word and the punctuation symbol], but then the temps inside
were in the high 90's [do not put a space between the word
and the punctuation symbol].
We'll see where it's at when it's had time to stabilize a
bit [do not put a space between the word and the punctuation
symbol].
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since you are superior, you likely won't be impressed by my
comments. Just that I have a college education and a father
who is an editor. Just go back to being prideful, it's so
much more comfortable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message

And exactly what is wrong with my punctuation and English
usage ? I
consider my usage of the language to be a cut above most
people I know , and
am a bit peeved that you think you need to comment .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

OK , so you don't like the fact that I put a space between the word and
the punctuation . Oh well , learn to deal with it . Been doing it
this way for years , and I'll KEEP doing it . If you don't like the way
I punctuate , killfile me .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

And exactly what is wrong with my punctuation and English
usage ? I
consider my usage of the language to be a cut above most
people I know , and
am a bit peeved that you think you need to comment .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Prideful ? PRIDEFUL ??
Bwahahahahahahaha , can't stop laughin' . FYI , I also have a college
education , and my wife's a teacher . So there !

--
Snag
What is it about you Mor(m)ons that makes you feel like you are so superior

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 07:58:37 -0500, Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

(S. M. added lots of bracketed punctuation notes, eg as below)
"Snag" wrote ...

Not as good as my son does [do not put a space between the
word and the punctuation symbol]! He's decided to bite the bullet and
have a breaker box installed [do not put a space between the word and the
punctuation symbol], get rid of the fuses [do not put a space between
the word and the punctuation symbol].

(big snip)
We'll see where it's at when it's had time to stabilize a bit [do not
put a space between the word and the punctuation symbol].
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

OK , so you don't like the fact that I put a space between the word
and the punctuation . Oh well , learn to deal with it . Been
doing it this way for years , and I'll KEEP doing it . If you don't
like the way I punctuate , killfile me .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

In reading your posts, I hadn't noticed your punctuation
spacing problem until S.M. mentioned it. Don't know how I
had overlooked it all these years, it's so glaringly obvious.
The first step toward fixing a problem like this is to admit
you have a problem. All those extra spaces take time to type,
so in the long run you can save yourself time by leaving them
out. Also, they make your text harder to read. In a public
medium like Usenet, where dozens of people read each post, it
is the responsibility of each writer to make his or her post
readable. The notion that other people should have to deal
with your spacing problem, instead of you fixing it, e.g. by
getting a new keyboard or learning how to fix what's broke,
is nonsense.

(On a different topic -- if the line before your sig consists
exactly of the three characters dash, dash, space, then good
newsreader software will recognize the sig lines as such, and
automatically not quote them in replies, thus resulting in
cleaner and more-easily-read threads.)

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Holy cow. Now everyone's an editor.

If you didn't notice it for "all these years," then where is the problem?
This isn't Mrs. Stingybottom's English class, and it surprises me how well
the language is handled by the great majority of posters here. It doesn't
appear that Snag is hampering anyone's reading by adding an extra space in
punctuation.

Besides, all of us, myself included, mishandle a common one -- the pair of
"m" dashes, as in this phrase (the second of the pair disappearing in this
case because it ends a sentence). There should be no space before or after
the double-hyphen proxy--like this.

But who cares?

--
Ed Huntress

(On a different topic -- if the line before your sig consists
exactly of the three characters dash, dash, space, then good
newsreader software will recognize the sig lines as such, and
automatically not quote them in replies, thus resulting in
cleaner and more-easily-read threads.)

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
Nothing I really care to repeat .

"Them that can , do .
Them that can't , critic ."

Jimmy , if you "didn't notice it" for all this time , where's the problem
? As I told ****y Chrissy , if you don't like the way I punctuate , killfile
me . In over 13 years of posting to usenet , email lists , etc. you are
exactly the second person to comment on it .
Ain't nobody forcin' you to read it ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:51:16 -0500, Snag wrote:

James Waldby wrote:
Nothing I really care to repeat .

No problem, I can repost it for you:

(Snag wrote)
[...]

Seems to me you have your sense of humor turned off at the moment.
Apparently you didn't see that the comment about the problem being
glaringly obvious, in the context of your exaggerated-spacing post,
is facetious. Likewise the sentence after that, and the comment
about getting a new keyboard. Ok?

"Them that can , do .
Them that can't , critic ."

Jimmy , if you "didn't notice it" for all this time , where's the
problem
? As I told ****y Chrissy , if you don't like the way I punctuate ,
killfile me . In over 13 years of posting to usenet , email lists , etc.
you are exactly the second person to comment on it .
Ain't nobody forcin' you to read it ...

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Jim, it was too subtle for me, too. I'm used to something closer to
slapstick. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
[...]

No problem. I suppose the few serious sentences mixed in with the
facetious ones might have been misleading. But I was sure that the
phrase "dozens of people read each post" would be a dead giveaway,
as we are all so used to seeing claims like "thousands of people read
each post". Anyway, YABT!

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
[...]

Sorry 'bout that James , I'm not in top form right now . Fighting a bitch of
a summer cold , and living up to my G-kids sometimes-nickname of Grumpaw .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Besides, all of us, myself included, mishandle a common one -- the pair of
"m" dashes, as in this phrase (the second of the pair disappearing in this
case because it ends a sentence). There should be no space before or after
the double-hyphen proxy--like this.

But who cares?

Who cares ?

--certainly not me......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Since you are superior, you likely won't be impressed by my
comments. Just that I have a college education and a father
who is an editor. Just go back to being prideful, it's so
much more comfortable.

Shove it up your your ass you piece of **** child molesting cult follower.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-05, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Since you are superior, you likely won't be impressed by my
comments. Just that I have a college education and a father
who is an editor. Just go back to being prideful, it's so
much more comfortable.

What college did you attend and what degree did you get, just curious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:NLydnZ4XLKj45aHTnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Besides, all of us, myself included, mishandle a common one -- the pair
of "m" dashes, as in this phrase (the second of the pair disappearing in
this case because it ends a sentence). There should be no space before or
after the double-hyphen proxy--like this.

But who cares?

Who cares ?

--certainly not me......

Only the editorial director at the last agency I worked for -- Bloody Mary,
who would slit your throat for a misplaced comma. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And you write like that? That's an embarassment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message

Prideful ? PRIDEFUL ??
Bwahahahahahahaha , can't stop laughin' . FYI , I also
have a college
education , and my wife's a teacher . So there !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What is it about you, Snag, that makes you so prideful, and
superior? Don't try to deny it. I've read your posts, and
can quote you back at you.

wrote in message ...

Prideful ? PRIDEFUL ??
Bwahahahahahahaha , can't stop laughin' . FYI , I also
have a college
education , and my wife's a teacher . So there !

--
Snag
What is it about you Mor(m)ons that makes you feel like you
are so superior
to everybody else ? And don't try to deny it , I grew up in
the Mor(m)on
culture , and put up with it for half of my life . Research
your church
history (well , what they haven't hidden) , one of my
ancestors was
supposedly a major player in the translation of those
"golden plates" .
Seen any salamanders lately ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since you've stopped learning (and havn't displayed any
humility), you must be elderly? I bet you're at least 80
years old.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message
James Waldby wrote:
Nothing I really care to repeat .

"Them that can , do .
Them that can't , critic ."

Jimmy , if you "didn't notice it" for all this time ,
where's the problem
? As I told ****y Chrissy , if you don't like the way I
punctuate , killfile
me . In over 13 years of posting to usenet , email lists ,
etc. you are
exactly the second person to comment on it .
Ain't nobody forcin' you to read it ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since you've stopped learning (and stopped having humility
or good humor), I guess you're over 85, then?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag"
wrote in message ...

Sorry 'bout that James , I'm not in top form right now .
Fighting a bitch of
a summer cold , and living up to my G-kids
sometimes-nickname of Grumpaw .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Since you are superior, you likely won't be impressed by my
comments. Just that I have a college education and a father
who is an editor. Just go back to being prideful, it's so
much more comfortable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

If your father is an editor, and assuming he was an editor before we had
desktop computers, ask him this: When you're writing for publication, is it
correct to place *two* spaces after terminal punctuation in a sentence?
Under what circumstances, and why?

Any real editor can answer this.

--
Ed Huntress (an editor since 1974)

.

"Snag" wrote in message

And exactly what is wrong with my punctuation and English
usage ? I
consider my usage of the language to be a cut above most
people I know , and
am a bit peeved that you think you need to comment .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Since you've stopped learning (and havn't displayed any
humility), you must be elderly? I bet you're at least 80
years old.

--
Christopher A. Young

Keep diggin' , the hole isn't deep enough .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
If your father is an editor, and assuming he was an editor before we had
desktop computers, ask him this: When you're writing for publication, is
it correct to place *two* spaces after terminal punctuation in a sentence?
Under what circumstances, and why?

Any real editor can answer this.

--
Ed Huntress (an editor since 1974)

The instructor for the Governmentese writing class I took at MITRE suggested
two spaces between sentences. In practice anyone who had aquired "Ph.D"
after their name could write any way they wanted.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
If your father is an editor, and assuming he was an editor before we had
desktop computers, ask him this: When you're writing for publication, is
it correct to place *two* spaces after terminal punctuation in a
sentence? Under what circumstances, and why?

Any real editor can answer this.

--
Ed Huntress (an editor since 1974)

The instructor for the Governmentese writing class I took at MITRE
suggested two spaces between sentences. In practice anyone who had aquired
"Ph.D" after their name could write any way they wanted.

jsw

Yeah. And then people like me get stuck with editing their stuff into
something that actually can be read. d8-)

I'd much rather write, but in the medical field, I mostly edit.

Since it's unlikely anyone else will comment on the two spaces, it was
standard practice when typewriters produced monospaced type (with a couple
of exceptions), and the variation in visual space between letters (glyphs)
made it difficult to tell whether there was a space after a period -- and
periods themselves are hard to see when the type is all wobbly from
monospacing. So, probably for 100 years, writers enterred two spaces after
periods, exclamation points, and question marks, to make it easy on the
typesetters. It also carried over to everyday typewriting, with the
double-space being a stylistic option.

This continued for years afterward, even after it made work more *difficult*
for typesetters, because they had to extract the extra spaces in an
electronic file, before committing the writing to type. It was common
through the mid-'90s. In medical editing, I saw it as recently as four or
five years ago, mostly from older writers who just couldn't break the habit.

As for editing the professional writing of Ph.Ds, I demand combat pay for
that, especially when I have to argue with them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

Yeah. And then people like me get stuck with editing their stuff into
something that actually can be read. d8-)
I'd much rather write, but in the medical field, I mostly edit.
As for editing the professional writing of Ph.Ds, I demand combat pay for
that, especially when I have to argue with them.
Ed Huntress

As an educated insider I quickly acclimated to the seemingly stilted and
formulaic writing style of chemistry and electronics. The canned phrases
have specific, well-defined meanings just like legal jargon and variations
on them can become misleading. For me they make speed-reading through the
material easier.

jsw