Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AC question

Wish I was more help. I've done some HVAC repair. I read
your writing, twice, and nothing comes to mind. I'd call
someone else who has electrical experience. Maybe two of
you, together, can troubleshoot?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Snag" wrote in message
I know it's kinda OT but ...

My son called last night to say his central AC wasn't
cooling . Went over
early this am and found that the fuse had seriously
overheated , to the
point that the contact has lost tension and no longer grips
the tab on the
fuse carrier (he's calling a 'lectrician today to replace it
with a breaker
panel) . I rewired the AC over to the stove fuse , and
neither the
compressor or fan will come on . Meter checks tell me that
when he turns it
to "cool" the relay engages , and there's power to the
motors - 247V
unloaded , drops to 230+- when the relay closes .
I suspect that due to poor contacts , the voltage drop at
the unit has
burned up both the fan and compressor motors ... anybody out
there with
experience in the field that can shed more light on this ?
I considered that maybe the capacitor has gone bad , but
I'm not sure ,
and that wouldn't(shouldn't ?) cause the overheating problem
in the fuse box
.. We're having record high temps here , and I surely don't
have room for him
and his two roomies at my house , since the eldest and his
spawn have moved
back in .
--
Snag