Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Back yard storage shed

I wanna store my raw material and some small
tooling in my back yard. My thoughts are to get
a bunch of square tube and weld up a frame and
the use corrigated plastic for the walls. I am planning
on a size of aprox. 10ft by 20ft by 8ft high. Gonna
check the zoning to see if thats ok or i need a building
permit.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions are apperciated.

Best Regards
Tom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
I wanna store my raw material and some small
tooling in my back yard. My thoughts are to get
a bunch of square tube and weld up a frame and
the use corrigated plastic for the walls. I am planning
on a size of aprox. 10ft by 20ft by 8ft high. Gonna
check the zoning to see if thats ok or i need a building
permit.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions are apperciated.

Best Regards
Tom.

Check out the prefab steel carports . Mine was under 800 bucks , but I
didn't get it completely enclosed . 12 X 21 feet , and assembled by a small
crew in a couple of hours . Should be a simple matter (if you choose to do
it that way) to add some horizontal stringers and finish enclosing it
yourself .
Bet it would be cheaper than doing it all yourself too ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 4:37*am, "azotic" wrote:
I wanna store my raw material and some small
tooling in my back yard. My thoughts are to get
a bunch of square tube and weld up a frame and
the use corrigated plastic for the walls. I am planning
on a size of aprox. 10ft by 20ft by 8ft high. Gonna
check the zoning to see if thats ok or i need a building
permit.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions are apperciated.

Best Regards
Tom.

Check out your local zoning laws CAREFULLY.

Most neighborhoods are not HSM friendly.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 4:37 am, "azotic" wrote:
I wanna store my raw material and some small
tooling in my back yard. My thoughts are to get
a bunch of square tube and weld up a frame and
the use corrigated plastic for the walls. I am planning
on a size of aprox. 10ft by 20ft by 8ft high. Gonna
check the zoning to see if thats ok or i need a building
permit.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions are apperciated.

Best Regards
Tom.

Check out your local zoning laws CAREFULLY.

Most neighborhoods are not HSM friendly.

TMT

Roger that.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wanna store my raw material and some small
tooling in my back yard. My thoughts are to get
a bunch of square tube and weld up a frame and
the use corrigated plastic for the walls. I am planning
on a size of aprox. 10ft by 20ft by 8ft high. Gonna
check the zoning to see if thats ok or i need a building
permit.

Fergeddabout corrugated plastic. It will not last very long. Sheeting is
available at the borgs, and if you have any suppliers in your area, you can
pick up deals on over runs, cover sheets, etc. Advertise for "wanted -
steel sheets" and you might be able to pick up some. Put your corner legs
into sonotubes and not in the ground, or they will rot off soon. Pour a
bucket of wet concrete inside, too, and drill a relief hole so water can not
accumulate inside. On all your welds, leave one small gap on the underside
so water can exit.

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for the tips steve. Being in las vegas i found some people that deal
in used pallet racking. It appears to me that i can buy used racks like they
have in home despot cheaper than i can buy new steel for. I had the idea
of putting together a box useing that suff like an erector set. I would tack
weld the joints and cover it as you suggested. Am i barking up the wrong
tree here on this or you think its a workable plan? In case i ever have to
move
i can easily break it down and take it with me.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 4:37 am, "azotic" wrote:
I wanna store my raw material and some small
tooling in my back yard. My thoughts are to get
a bunch of square tube and weld up a frame and
the use corrigated plastic for the walls. I am planning
on a size of aprox. 10ft by 20ft by 8ft high. Gonna
check the zoning to see if thats ok or i need a building
permit.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions are apperciated.

Best Regards
Tom.

Check out your local zoning laws CAREFULLY.

Most neighborhoods are not HSM friendly.

TMT

Reply:
Get a Costco portable garage. They are about $200, are 10x20' and seem to
be acceptable in most neighborhoods. Last a couple years, and are probably
cheaper than what you can build. I store my boat in one and in about 10
years, I am on my 3rd one. You could get a new cover, but probably costs
about the same as a new unit. And you have the left over tubing for shop
jobs. My metal rack on the side of the house is made from an old unit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 4:37 am, "azotic" wrote:

[...]

Almost none of the neighborhoods I have ever lived in would have
allowed a portable garage.

Like I said, check carefully for what is allowed before spending the
money for materials.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It appears to me that i can buy used racks like they
have in home despot cheaper than i can buy new steel for. I had the idea
of putting together a box useing that suff like an erector set. I would tack
weld the joints and cover it as you suggested. Am i barking up the wrong
tree here on this or you think its a workable plan?

I am in the final touches of doing something similar, though I also am
operating under different constraints. I can make anything I want
without a permit as long as it's 120sf or less, and under 35' tall
(!). I found 4 15' uprights and a couple dozen 8' load beams on
craigslist. I would have preferred 10', but this was what I found
without paying twice as much.

With the uprights, the outside length for a pair was 8'6. The metal
siding I found has a 1-1/2" profile (I would have preferred r-panel),
so that made my total width 8'9, divided into 120 allowed me just over
13'6 for the length. With these materials, I would have preferred to
be able to build a foot longer, as it meant the beams I used to span
between the two racks (ends of the shed) had to be cut down a
foot...but I have a buzzbox and a pile of 7014, so all it cost me was
time. I cut the uprights down to 10' to minimize the madness a
little. 12 or 13 would have been nice to allow standing in the
"loft".

I grabbed some metal studs to build out a gambrel roof, with the
center ridge being a chunk of S8 with a hoist trolley, up on welded
brackets. If I had enough sheet steel to do the roof, I'd have just
added a couple of parallel purlins at halfway between that and the
corner, but instead I used rafters, OSB, and the same shingles as I
have on the house. There's a 2' stickout over the 5' wide sliding
door. All the offcuts from the uprights (except for some of the x-
bracing) have gotten recycled into other parts of the shed. The
bumpouts for the gambrel look like they'll be nice shelves.

So yes, I think your plan has possibilities.
--Glenn Lyford

metal yard shed recommendations? aemeijers Home Repair 25 June 17th 11 11:25 PM
Back yard drainage... Dave Home Repair 9 July 7th 10 08:38 PM
back yard tree Don Phillipson[_3_] Home Repair 1 October 15th 08 12:42 AM
Back Yard Patio someguy469 Home Repair 19 August 4th 08 01:49 AM
Need advice for back yard LT Home Repair 6 March 26th 05 04:42 PM