Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Back yard drainage...

Posted earlier about standing water in the back yard, and we are now headed
into another installment of the rainy season around here. Wondering: what
would be wrong with routing the worst of the drainage problem into the
sewer, via the drain that the washer uses. This one, I am fairly certain,
will get shot down in flames. But I have no idea as to how or why as of
yet. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking that if I can provide
sufficient filtration to catch the majority of debris, it ought to work.
I've even seen large square drains in the middle of yards on the other side
of town that can't go anywere but the sewer. They are just larger, with (I
presume) larger pipes. Does anyone think that a 4" line could be made to
suffice for such a purpose? Please, fire away. All I am trying to do is
give the water that collects over the back sidewalk during a heavy rain
somewhere to go.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:46*pm, "Dave" wrote:
Posted earlier about standing water in the back yard, and we are now *headed
into another installment of the rainy season around here. *Wondering: what
would be wrong with routing the worst of the drainage problem into the
sewer, via the drain that the washer uses. *This one, I am fairly certain,
will get shot down in flames. *But I have no idea as to how or why as of
yet. *Anyone care to comment? *I am thinking that if I can provide
sufficient filtration to catch the majority of debris, it ought to work.
I've even seen large square drains in the middle of yards on the other side
of town that can't go anywhere but the sewer. *They are just larger, with (I
presume) larger pipes. Does anyone think that a 4" line could be made to
suffice for such a purpose? *Please, fire away. *All I am trying to do is
give the water that collects over the back sidewalk during a heavy rain
somewhere to go.

Thanks,

Dave

There may be rules about NOT PUTTING ground water drainage into a
sanitary sewer system in that area, if the authorities know or find
out?

One argument is that it can overload sewage treatment and or sewage
handling equipment/macerators etc. Not only are many of our municipal
infrastructures now old (50 to 100 years etc.) there has also been a
lot of additional building and significant population increase in some
places!

And water/sewer systems are costly to install and maintain. Also, if
they flood it can cause all kinds of health and environmental
problems, especially in high population areas and/or during heavy
rains/flooding.

Putting ground water into a septic sewer system is almost the exact
opposite of misusing water supply! We filter and process millions of
gallons of 'Drinking water' (said to be in short supply?) to an
acceptable standard and then use much of it for watering plants and
washing cars etc.!!!!!! That doesn't make sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

It's pretty likely to be a serious legal infraction. If everyone dumped runoff
into the sewers, there would be frequent sewage discharges into
streams/rivers/lakes during bad storms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:46*am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Depending on your municipality (or whoever owns the sewers), you might
get away with probation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

Using the *sanitary sewer*, the same one the toilets use, is most likely
against local codes. Too much water at the sewage treatment plant
causes problems. With lots of rainwater going into the sanitary sewer,
it can't keep up and raw sewage is then discharged into the
creek/river/whatever.

If it can drain to the *storm sewer*, that should be fine but I'd check
first on how to go about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 11:46*am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

That's a nono. Why can't you drain it somewhere else? No place in
your entire yard lower? 4" corrugated line will handle a good deal of
water but exactly how much depends on the drop. It does come in long
rolls and I recommend you get a roll and use a continuous piece rather
than put together 10' sections. You'll have a lot less root problems
that way. There is also 6" available in rolls if you think you need
bigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 11:46 am, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Okay, this may be my best bet. Reroute it to the storm drain. Not as
close, but probably a much better idea. Hadn't even thought about the
implications of rainwater in the sewer system...

THANK YOU to all who replied, and helped set me straight. Much
appreciated.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

IIRC, your first post mentioned 6" of rain...happen often there? How
often does the water collect? How long does it take to dissipate? I
doubt that anyone can make a recommendation without knowing more about
the lot, slope, soil, grading, elevation, etc. FWIW, if there are
separate storm and sanitation sewers, that might block your plan. You
might also need a building permit to alter drainage. Photos might help
to see the property and help with the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

Can you make a French drain for it? It's surprising what a person can
do with a little shovel work, plastic pipe and some gravel. Drain it to
a lower spot that will get the water on to a storm sewer.
http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/groun..._french_drain/
Posted to alt.home.repair

FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I just wonder how people build a house on a site without proper prep.
for drainage? What is local building dept. doing? In our city we can't
even wash cars on our drive way.(city bylaw)

Wildlife in My Back Yard... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 16 November 2nd 09 07:19 PM
back yard tree JimR Home Repair 0 October 15th 08 01:10 AM
experience with adding yard drainage basin, 150' run to storm sewer tie in? [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 29th 06 03:43 AM
Need advice for back yard LT Home Repair 6 March 26th 05 04:42 PM