Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Back yard drainage...

FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:
Dave wrote:
Posted earlier about standing water in the back yard, and we are now
headed into another installment of the rainy season around here.
Wondering: what would be wrong with routing the worst of the drainage
problem into the sewer, via the drain that the washer uses. This one,
I am fairly certain, will get shot down in flames. But I have no idea
as to how or why as of yet. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking that
if I can provide sufficient filtration to catch the majority of
debris, it ought to work. I've even seen large square drains in the
middle of yards on the other side of town that can't go anywere but
the sewer. They are just larger, with (I presume) larger pipes. Does
anyone think that a 4" line could be made to suffice for such a
purpose? Please, fire away. All I am trying to do is give the water
that collects over the back sidewalk during a heavy rain somewhere to go.

Thanks,

Dave

Can you make a French drain for it? It's surprising what a person can do
with a little shovel work, plastic pipe and some gravel. Drain it to a
lower spot that will get the water on to a storm sewer.
http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/groun..._french_drain/

Hi,
I just wonder how people build a house on a site without proper prep.
for drainage? What is local building dept. doing? In our city we can't
even wash cars on our drive way.(city bylaw)