Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default He agreed to the Hardinge/Triumph Swap!!

Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

congrats!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:58:14 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

Good on ya!

As I've said before, now you've got two machines with Lucas wiring.
Your weekends will be full from now on. Voice of experience here. In
my youth I owned both a Triumph bike and a Triumph car. One of my best
friends had an MGB. All decent machines EXCEPT for the wiring and
electrical components. Its very hard to diagnose when you got several
flaky intermittent problems at once and don't have the funds to just
chuck it all.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 26, 3:58*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

The dogs will go nuts waiting for their turn in the side car.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:58:14 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

From the sound of it, both of you are going "Yay! I'm trading that old
unused thing for something I _really_ want". Which is, of course, the
essence of a good deal.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:05:16 -0500, Ignoramus7018

congrats!
On 2011-07-26, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

Ive not been this tickled about getting Stuff in years! Maybe Im
regressing into my second childhood. Hummm...pony tail and a pierced
earring..yah..thats the ticket....

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Worst comes to worst..I can simply rewire the entire beasty. Its much
easier to do than doing the same on a CNC mill..which Ive done a fair
amount of recently.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/MoogVisimetrics

I did 9 of these over the last couple months....

While Im waiting..I pulled the fuel tank on the Royal Enfield last
night..the valves are leaking rather badly..50 yr old felt seals..and I
covered them in a very oily solvent..and hopefully they swell enough to
seal. Im not sure how to replace the felt...

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:09:01 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Jul 26, 3:58*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

The dogs will go nuts waiting for their turn in the side car.

Ayup! The ex hates riding on motorcycles..and Im sure she will hate the
side hack..so its gonna be the dogs G

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:28:27 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:58:14 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him. G

From the sound of it, both of you are going "Yay! I'm trading that old
unused thing for something I _really_ want". Which is, of course, the
essence of a good deal.

Indeed. Now when we do the swap..and start digging in..the cursing will
probably start. But Im giving him a good but incredibly ugly lathe..so I
hope the bike is in similar condition. Ive bought Pretty crap
before...shrug.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Your skills certainly far exceed mine of 30 years ago. But the Lucas
infection is insidious. It infects starters, generators, the horn,
everything. One of my favorites from 30 years ago - hit the bright
lights button on the floor and the lights short out. It left me going
110+ on a county road at night. Twas exciting.

Karl

While Im waiting..I pulled the fuel tank on the Royal Enfield last
night..the valves are leaking rather badly..50 yr old felt seals..and I
covered them in a very oily solvent..and hopefully they swell enough to
seal. Im not sure how to replace the felt...

Gunner

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He'll almost certainly be needing some replacement wiring harness smoke
as shown on this page http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

While Im waiting..I pulled the fuel tank on the Royal Enfield last
night..the valves are leaking rather badly..50 yr old felt seals..and I
covered them in a very oily solvent..and hopefully they swell enough to
seal. Im not sure how to replace the felt...

Gunner

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why is it that that most people from 'across the pond' says that the
stuff on the other side sucks?

Having worked with electric stuff all my life I must admit that the
approach on either side of the pond is very different.
Different, but both sides have pro's and both sides have con's.

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

k...

wrote:

[...]

It depends on how old you are. For example, on my '67 MG Midget, which I
bought new, the left front parking light filled up with salt water (salted
ice) one night on the Ohio Turnpike and shorted out the light socket.
Instead of blowing its Lucas fuse, it simply caught all of the wiring under
the dash on fire, filling the cabin with smoke...because it *had* no fuse on
that circuit.

A fine piece of electrical engineering.

However, the Lucas battery worked just fine until the temperature dropped
below 35 deg. F. That was in Michigan, where it rarely got that warm all
winter. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

k...

wrote:

[...]

And that could not happen with anything other than Lucas?

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Uffe Bærentsen" wrote in message
k...
Den 27-07-2011 22:05, Ed Huntress skrev:
k...

wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of it. The car was under warranty, so I got a new wiring
harness installed for free. Then I installed my own block of fuses, on every
circuit. I also replace the parking light cover gasket with some real gasket
material. I think the original was black cardboard. d8-)

As for the battery, after it let me down twice, I just swapped it for a big
Sears Diehard. The new battery was about the same size as the engine. One
January morning at Boyne Highlands in Michigan, when it was -15 F., my car
was the only one in the motel parking lot that started. I crept away as
quietly as I could...

--
Ed Huntress

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 27-07-2011 22:58, Ed Huntress skrev:
"Uffe wrote in message
k...
Den 27-07-2011 22:05, Ed Huntress skrev:
k...

wrote:

[...]

In short, the same fails that we see on all vehicles here no matter if
they are Asian made, US made, European made or wherever the vehicle
comes from.

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Uffe Bærentsen" wrote in message
k...
Den 27-07-2011 22:58, Ed Huntress skrev:
"Uffe wrote in message
k...
Den 27-07-2011 22:05, Ed Huntress skrev:
k...

wrote:

[...]

Uffe, those were just some funny examples. US owners of old Brit sports cars
and motorcycles have Lucas stories coming out their ears.

My MG went through a Lucas ignition coil about every year. Lucas spark plugs
went right into the trash can. Their starter solenoids, where they actually
installed solenoids, tended to burn contacts; Lucas driving lights, the
high-intensity ones, often suddenly drew unexpected amounts of current and
burned out fuses.

A British mechanic I once knew told me that Lucas basically made two grades
of electrical components. One was used on cheaper cars, like the cheap
sports cars, Minis, and so on that they exported to the US, and the better
line was used on up-market cars that were not exported to the US. We didn't
buy many upscale European sedans in the '60s, except for MB's.

I don't know if what he told me was right or not. But the examples of Lucas
electrical failures are too widespread for it to have been chance. You only
had to take a Lucas ignition coil apart, and compare it with a GM/Delco, for
example, to see what was going on.

Thus, a bumper sticker that you saw on some Brit cars in the US at that
time: "Why do the Brits drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas
refrigerators."

I have heard that things are much improved these days. Oh, Lucas wasn't the
only Brit car component that we considered junk in the US. The Tecalemit
Jackson fuel injection system froze up with regularity. And Laycock de
Normanville overdrives (British, not French) tended to leak hydraulic
pressure and pop out of overdrive unexpectedly.

This was at a time when US built electrical and driveline components had
achieved extremely high degrees of reliability. Even Mercedes-Benz, after a
decade of trying to build their own automatic transmission that didn't
break, wound up copying the Buick Turbo-Hydramatic piece-for-piece and
metricizing it. That was around 1962.

So that's what we comparing them with. Lucas did not come out well. But,
then, most cars and components from Europe didn't come out well in
comparisons of durability or reliability. They sure were winners in the
fun-to-drive department, however.

--
Ed Huntress

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The Royal Enfield may..may be convertable to 12vt simply by changing a
bit of wiring on the alternator according to the boys on the RE site.
Then I can put in a zener diode or an aftermarket voltage regulator,
then simply add all non Lucas stuff I want.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:40:27 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[ ... ]

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

You know -- I don't remember any serious problems with the Lucas
electrics in my MGAs (1957 and 1961 IIRC). But then, I was an
electronics technician, and knew how to repair things, so it perhaps was
sufficiently cowed. :-)

The only electrical thing which gave frequent problems was the
fuel pump, which was SU, not Lucas.

[ ... ]

The Royal Enfield may..may be convertable to 12vt simply by changing a

Only two dots between the repeated words instead of your usual
three? Does this mean that you are more, or less certain? :-)

bit of wiring on the alternator according to the boys on the RE site.
Then I can put in a zener diode or an aftermarket voltage regulator,
then simply add all non Lucas stuff I want.

A question occurs to me. Does the R.E. have an electric starter,
or is it purely kick start? If the former, you may need to rewire that
too. Maybe rewind it with more turns of lighter gauge wire.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good plan to replace the voltage regulator. Another one of the many
failures was the voltage regulator sticking on. It burnt up the
generator and boiled the battery. It would have been nice to have had
an ampmeter, but that had failed earlier.

I'm surprised you said alternator. The brits stuck with generators far
longer than this side of the pond.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 31 Jul 2011 01:10:01 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-07-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:40:27 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

The 6 volt starter would turn the old enfield over twice as fast - so
would not need to run as long - would LIKELY last just as long as on 6
volts. I've converted a fair number of 6 volt cars using the original
starter. Tractors too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:40:27 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[ ... ]

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

You know -- I don't remember any serious problems with the Lucas
electrics in my MGAs (1957 and 1961 IIRC). But then, I was an
electronics technician, and knew how to repair things, so it perhaps was
sufficiently cowed. :-)

The only electrical thing which gave frequent problems was the
fuel pump, which was SU, not Lucas.

[ ... ]

The Royal Enfield may..may be convertable to 12vt simply by changing a

Only two dots between the repeated words instead of your usual
three? Does this mean that you are more, or less certain? :-)

Im going by what the wonks on the Royal Enfield site claimed.
Hence...a certain amount of uncertainty..but...................... G

bit of wiring on the alternator according to the boys on the RE site.
Then I can put in a zener diode or an aftermarket voltage regulator,
then simply add all non Lucas stuff I want.

A question occurs to me. Does the R.E. have an electric starter,
or is it purely kick start? If the former, you may need to rewire that
too. Maybe rewind it with more turns of lighter gauge wire.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Kick start only. So thats not an issue..and it has a magneto to run the
ignition. Which works well enough. Currently its 6vt Positive ground.
The bike that is.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If it's a flywheel dynamo (permanent magnet) it WILL be an alternator
- with external diodes and bypass type regulator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 30 Jul 2011 00:30:38 -0700

While Im waiting..I pulled the fuel tank on the Royal Enfield last
night..the valves are leaking rather badly..50 yr old felt seals..and I
covered them in a very oily solvent..and hopefully they swell enough to
seal. Im not sure how to replace the felt...

Gunner

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

Karl

The Royal Enfield may..may be convertable to 12vt simply by changing a
bit of wiring on the alternator according to the boys on the RE site.
Then I can put in a zener diode or an aftermarket voltage regulator,
then simply add all non Lucas stuff I want.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness

Any relation to Phil, "Prince of Insufficient Lighting"?

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich