Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default He agreed to the Hardinge/Triumph Swap!!

On 2011-07-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:40:27 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[ ... ]

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

You know -- I don't remember any serious problems with the Lucas
electrics in my MGAs (1957 and 1961 IIRC). But then, I was an
electronics technician, and knew how to repair things, so it perhaps was
sufficiently cowed. :-)

The only electrical thing which gave frequent problems was the
fuel pump, which was SU, not Lucas.

[ ... ]

The Royal Enfield may..may be convertable to 12vt simply by changing a

Only two dots between the repeated words instead of your usual
three? Does this mean that you are more, or less certain? :-)

bit of wiring on the alternator according to the boys on the RE site.
Then I can put in a zener diode or an aftermarket voltage regulator,
then simply add all non Lucas stuff I want.

A question occurs to me. Does the R.E. have an electric starter,
or is it purely kick start? If the former, you may need to rewire that
too. Maybe rewind it with more turns of lighter gauge wire.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564