Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Uffe Bærentsen[_2_] Uffe Bærentsen[_2_] is offline

Default He agreed to the Hardinge/Triumph Swap!!

Den 27-07-2011 22:05, Ed Huntress skrev:
"Uffe wrote in message
k...
Den 27-07-2011 13:47, David Billington skrev:
Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:51:45 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:44:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:58:14 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Yayyy!!!!

I swapped this.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HardingeTFB

for this

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Trumpet#

Yahooo!!!

Now I only have to wait a few weeks until he can get here with his
Trumpet..and I can load the Hardinge for him.G
Good on ya!

As I've said before, now you've got two machines with Lucas wiring.
Your weekends will be full from now on. Voice of experience here. In
my youth I owned both a Triumph bike and a Triumph car. One of my best
friends had an MGB. All decent machines EXCEPT for the wiring and
electrical components. Its very hard to diagnose when you got several
flaky intermittent problems at once and don't have the funds to just
chuck it all.

Karl
Worst comes to worst..I can simply rewire the entire beasty. Its much
easier to do than doing the same on a CNC mill..which Ive done a fair
amount of recently.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/MoogVisimetrics

I did 9 of these over the last couple months....

Your skills certainly far exceed mine of 30 years ago. But the Lucas
infection is insidious. It infects starters, generators, the horn,
everything. One of my favorites from 30 years ago - hit the bright
lights button on the floor and the lights short out. It left me going
110+ on a county road at night. Twas exciting.

Karl

He'll almost certainly be needing some replacement wiring harness smoke
as shown on this page http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

While Im waiting..I pulled the fuel tank on the Royal Enfield last
night..the valves are leaking rather badly..50 yr old felt seals..and I
covered them in a very oily solvent..and hopefully they swell enough to
seal. Im not sure how to replace the felt...

Gunner

I do envy you, these old machines are a blast to ride. In case you
haven't heard me yet. Lucas SUCKS.

Why is it that that most people from 'across the pond' says that the stuff
on the other side sucks?

Having worked with electric stuff all my life I must admit that the
approach on either side of the pond is very different.
Different, but both sides have pro's and both sides have con's.

It depends on how old you are. For example, on my '67 MG Midget, which I
bought new, the left front parking light filled up with salt water (salted
ice) one night on the Ohio Turnpike and shorted out the light socket.
Instead of blowing its Lucas fuse, it simply caught all of the wiring under
the dash on fire, filling the cabin with smoke...because it *had* no fuse on
that circuit.

A fine piece of electrical engineering.

However, the Lucas battery worked just fine until the temperature dropped
below 35 deg. F. That was in Michigan, where it rarely got that warm all
winter. d8-)

And that could not happen with anything other than Lucas?

--
Uffe Bærentsen