Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport. Wow

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

It's a Bridgeport head, but the rest of the machine does not look like a
Bridgeport.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

Forgot to mention that the head seems to only have 2 bolts holding it on
instead of the normal 4.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/01/2011 10:13 AM, David Billington wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

I need to wait, perforce, until the fill level on the monitory
reservoirs is a bit higher. I was just posting it for interest's sake.

There seem to be a lot of deals coming up right around $2000 for small
good mills (B-port, Rusnok, and Jet, if you consider that 'good').
That's without much tooling, but hey -- a starter set is a starter set.
This was just an astonishing enough price that I had to share.

It does seem to be a bit cobbled together -- it looks like the head is
attached to an adapter plate (or perhaps a shim). That would account
for the two bolts instead of four, as well.

It'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than my Smithy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

looks like almost scrap metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

It's a Bridgeport head, but the rest of the machine does not look like a
Bridgeport.

I knew something was wrong with the picture.

I kept looking at the 2 bolts holding the
head on and couldn't figure out why someone
would leave the 2 bottom ones out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:55:02 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

Interesting mill. Im not sure what it orignally was..but they stuck a BP
head on it. Rather nice size if nothing is worn out.

Though the Van Norman behind it has more possibilities.....

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:13:18 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

No..its unlikely to be a horizontal. It originally was a vertical mill,
but a small one. Putting that BP head on it wasnt all that bad an
idea..makes it a much smaller footprint machine, assuming the head
doesnt slowly deflect the ram its mounted on.

It sort of reminds me of an old Index mill with a BP head....

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Where are you at Tim?

Ive got people all over the US..might be able to find you something
decent......

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why not call the guy and ask him about the (green) Van Norman behind the
BP abortion? It would be a Superior machine to a BP...magatudes better.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-01, Tim wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

looks like almost scrap metal.

Oh gawd. If you're saying that, then it's a goner for sure :P.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I gotta wait. I'm actually getting SWMBO to pinch pennies: I don't want
to set a bad example now.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/1/2011 11:55 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

Yea, as long as you're not concerned with a warranty, factory support or
parts availability. :|

----

A lot of people end up buying the small machines because they simply
don't have room for any large machine.

They want a new machine because they have no clue how to diagnose, fix
or find parts for any old one. The China stuff has a lot of faults, but
a truck brings them to your house in a few days after you order it, most
brands usually have all the parts in the box, and they work when you
plug them in and turn them on.

And people buy the China machines because there's no US companies making
small machines anymore, and there hasn't been for 50 years.

-And that last point tells you a HUGE amount about where the US
machinest profession is headed (mostly, to retirement).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/1/2011 12:09 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

It's a Bridgeport head, but the rest of the machine does not look like a
Bridgeport.

It looks a lot like a Benchmaster with a BP head. This is something I'd
like to do with my Benchmaster.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:

[...]

I'll also note that some of those Chinese companies are pretty good and
actually care about the products they produce. I certainly wouldn't bash
a company that produces a decent, affordable, hobby sized machine
because it doesn't meet the standards of a fully industrial machine that
cost 20X the price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

It's a Bridgeport head, but the rest of the machine does not look like a
Bridgeport.

It looks a lot like a Benchmaster with a BP head. This is something I'd
like to do with my Benchmaster.

It does seem that those nice BP heads ended up on a lot of older iron as
a useful life extender.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

That is a head off a tracer machine. Now to make you all cry and me
too, a shop I work with threw out a perfectly good 3 axis bridgeport
tracer machine. Another guy saw it in the scrap yard and wondered what
it was with the tracer attachment mounted on it. The also scrapped a
perfectly good Cincinnatti #2 tool and cutter grinder too, fourteen
cents a pound. Makes you want to cry .

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

If you want to use a mill there is usually room for another vise on one of
my Fadals.

I-5 north--just off exit 28

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/2/2011 3:21 AM, Jim Stewart wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

It's a Bridgeport head, but the rest of the machine does not look like a
Bridgeport.

I knew something was wrong with the picture.

I kept looking at the 2 bolts holding the
head on and couldn't figure out why someone
would leave the 2 bottom ones out.

The longditudinal feed handles are missing as well , and maybe the
screw as well.

But in the first pic it shows its turbocharged so may make it worth while.

Looks like a junker to me.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/1/2011 12:55 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

Here in the east, this would be a $300 research project. Are mills in
such short supply on the other side?

Behind that amalgamation, however appears to be a real VN, a worthy
machine. Wait for it. That's the one you want.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/1/2011 6:40 PM, axolotl wrote:
On 7/1/2011 12:55 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

Here in the east, this would be a $300 research project. Are mills in
such short supply on the other side?

Behind that amalgamation, however appears to be a real VN, a worthy
machine. Wait for it. That's the one you want.

Kevin Gallimore

Maybe we are all getting played?

Maybe the ad for the franken-Port scrap metal is a dupe to get people to
rush in offering to buy the other one.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

In picture number two, it looks as though that could be one of the
very rare Turbo Charged Bridgeports, in which case, that is an
excellent price.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-01, Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_ for
several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end up
with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent with
a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out there
with a truck and a checkbook.

I looked at this again more closely (I was driving when I first
replied).

What a piece of trash this is and what a bull**** artist, claiming
this is a Bridgeport mill!

This rusted head is missing a lot of stuff, worth $150 alone at best,
and with the rest attached, it is worth just $60.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus2853" wrote in message This
rusted head is missing a lot of stuff, worth $150 alone at best,
and with the rest attached, it is worth just $60.

Only if seller powers it up and you can
hear it run.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-02, azotic wrote:

"Ignoramus2853" wrote in message This
rusted head is missing a lot of stuff, worth $150 alone at best,
and with the rest attached, it is worth just $60.

Only if seller powers it up and you can
hear it run.

I bought a perfectly working Bridgeport head for $50 recently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

It is my opinion that it wouldn't have any problems being worse than your
Smithy.
It is also my opinion that it is overpriced considerably. I expect scrap
iron is going for much less than they're asking.

Harold