Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport. Wow

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:34:42 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

I need to wait, perforce, until the fill level on the monitory
reservoirs is a bit higher. I was just posting it for interest's sake.

There seem to be a lot of deals coming up right around $2000 for small
good mills (B-port, Rusnok, and Jet, if you consider that 'good').
That's without much tooling, but hey -- a starter set is a starter set.
This was just an astonishing enough price that I had to share.

It does seem to be a bit cobbled together -- it looks like the head is
attached to an adapter plate (or perhaps a shim). That would account
for the two bolts instead of four, as well.

It'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than my Smithy.

Why not call the guy and ask him about the (green) Van Norman behind the
BP abortion? It would be a Superior machine to a BP...magatudes better.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.