Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Bridgeport. Wow

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 07/01/2011 10:13 AM, David Billington wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

I need to wait, perforce, until the fill level on the monitory reservoirs
is a bit higher. I was just posting it for interest's sake.

There seem to be a lot of deals coming up right around $2000 for small
good mills (B-port, Rusnok, and Jet, if you consider that 'good'). That's
without much tooling, but hey -- a starter set is a starter set. This was
just an astonishing enough price that I had to share.

It does seem to be a bit cobbled together -- it looks like the head is
attached to an adapter plate (or perhaps a shim). That would account for
the two bolts instead of four, as well.

It'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than my Smithy.

Tim,

If you want to use a mill there is usually room for another vise on one of
my Fadals.

I-5 north--just off exit 28