Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Bridgeport. Wow

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 07/01/2011 10:13 AM, David Billington wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Even at that price I can't drag it home this year (business _sucked_
for several months, and it's still not recovered).

But unless the ways are trashed, I think that one could actually end
up with something better than a Chinese machine at a price consistent
with a new mill/drill piece of crap.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2469548188.html

Damn. If I'd seen this last year at this time, I'd be heading out
there with a truck and a checkbook.

Might be better to stay away and wait for something that's all
Bridgeport. I don't know what the base is but it doesn't look like
anything I've seen on a J head BP. As there doesn't appear to be a ram
behind the head I wonder if it's a horizontal mill that has had a BP
head added.

I need to wait, perforce, until the fill level on the monitory reservoirs
is a bit higher. I was just posting it for interest's sake.

There seem to be a lot of deals coming up right around $2000 for small
good mills (B-port, Rusnok, and Jet, if you consider that 'good'). That's
without much tooling, but hey -- a starter set is a starter set. This was
just an astonishing enough price that I had to share.

It does seem to be a bit cobbled together -- it looks like the head is
attached to an adapter plate (or perhaps a shim). That would account for
the two bolts instead of four, as well.

It'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than my Smithy.

It is my opinion that it wouldn't have any problems being worse than your
Smithy.
It is also my opinion that it is overpriced considerably. I expect scrap
iron is going for much less than they're asking.

Harold