Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Detroit Diesel 3-53 would not stop after air intake closed? WTF?

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:17:29 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

On 06/21/2011 12:37 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I would guess that with the valve cover off, the engine is breathing
through the "breather" hose on the valve cover?
Normally the breather would be applying vacuum to the valve area&
crankcase and only "breathing" the limited amount of blowby from past the
rings... but with the valve cover off it's "breathing" fresh air?

That sounds plausible. Also wondering why he isn't using a fuel shutoff
to shutdown like every diesel I've operated uses.

Many Detroit Diesels from that period had an emergency shutdown that
moved little arms into the path of the valve spring retainers, jamming
one valve per cylinder partly open , and in so doing, killing the
compression. That may be what Iggy was referring to as something moving
in the valve cover area. Taking off the valve cover on those
engines definitely would defeat that mechanism.

Jon

I believe that the spring loaded rack system was made as a substitute
for the inlet damper which DD recommended be disconnected. However
engines used in the oil industry are still required to have inlet air
damper type shutdowns.
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have both the rack and air damper.

The cause of my trouble was that one injector was stuck and the rack
could not pull the arms out of the injectors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-29, Jon Elson wrote:
On 06/21/2011 01:01 PM, Ignoramus31413 wrote:

Lastly, even when the engine ran too fast and too loud, the output
pulleys seemed to rotate at a fairly reasonable speed. So perhaps I am
just a little bit too girly and too sensitive to the noise of a two
stroke diesel. But I do not want to take chances on this.

Oh, yes, if you are not a DD devotee, they sound WAYYY different from
conventional 4-stroke Diesels. The Roots blower is an integral part of
the engine, and has a distinctive and high sound. The engine is running
twice as many power strokes as a 4-stroke, and thus sounds twice as
fast. So, full power at near rated RPM sounds to the unexperienced to
be an engine well into a runaway when it is just running fine. (Your
neighbors are just going to LOVE you.....)

Jon

I am now a DD devotee. It is a very beautiful engine. I always had a
love for diesel engines in general.

If I had a farm or a lot of room, I would keep the DD and would make
it do something. I would pay to have it rebuilt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20088 wrote:
On 2011-06-29, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

Is it new enough to be an aluminum block? If so go find a mid 70's GMC
P/U and install it. Would make a great hauler.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nope Iggie, you had an old Jimmy. You rack was the old style that
could stay partially open if an injector stuck. Later versions called
a single screw" will shot off all the injectors except the one that
sticks
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A lot of errors - hmmm must be my spelling checker. It should have
read "called for a "single screw" will shut off".

Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:59:53 -0400, "Steve W."

Ignoramus20088 wrote:
On 2011-06-29, Jon Elson wrote:
[...]

I've seen them installed in F100 FORD P/U trucks too.
Then there was an F350 with a 6-71 in it.