Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Detroit Diesel 3-53 would not stop after air intake closed? WTF?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:59:53 -0400, "Steve W."

On 2011-06-29, Jon Elson wrote:
On 06/21/2011 01:01 PM, Ignoramus31413 wrote:

Lastly, even when the engine ran too fast and too loud, the output
pulleys seemed to rotate at a fairly reasonable speed. So perhaps I am
just a little bit too girly and too sensitive to the noise of a two
stroke diesel. But I do not want to take chances on this.

Oh, yes, if you are not a DD devotee, they sound WAYYY different from
conventional 4-stroke Diesels. The Roots blower is an integral part of
the engine, and has a distinctive and high sound. The engine is running
twice as many power strokes as a 4-stroke, and thus sounds twice as
fast. So, full power at near rated RPM sounds to the unexperienced to
be an engine well into a runaway when it is just running fine. (Your
neighbors are just going to LOVE you.....)

Jon

I am now a DD devotee. It is a very beautiful engine. I always had a
love for diesel engines in general.

If I had a farm or a lot of room, I would keep the DD and would make
it do something. I would pay to have it rebuilt.

Is it new enough to be an aluminum block? If so go find a mid 70's GMC
P/U and install it. Would make a great hauler.

I've seen them installed in F100 FORD P/U trucks too.
Then there was an F350 with a 6-71 in it.