Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Has anyone tried knurling on a CNC milling machine

Here's a weird question.

Got these knurls out of a cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I began to wonder if, perhaps, I can use them on my CNC mill, in order
to make knurled surfaces. Just put one (on a toolholder) in a spindle,
put the spindle on brake, and knurl the surface? Anyone tried this?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-18, Ignoramus6708 wrote:
Here's a weird question.

Got these knurls out of a cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I began to wonder if, perhaps, I can use them on my CNC mill, in order
to make knurled surfaces. Just put one (on a toolholder) in a spindle,
put the spindle on brake, and knurl the surface? Anyone tried this?

Not I. Not sure that the spindle can apply sufficient force.

Just hold them to swap into the Turret T knurlers discussed in
another thread. Knurls wear out, and you will need matched pairs for
the knurler.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:15:40 -0500, Ignoramus6708
wrote:

Here's a weird question.

Got these knurls out of a cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I began to wonder if, perhaps, I can use them on my CNC mill, in order
to make knurled surfaces. Just put one (on a toolholder) in a spindle,
put the spindle on brake, and knurl the surface? Anyone tried this?

Thats not the best way to knurl.

http://www.proshoppublishing.com/articles_knurling.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...w-knurl-78492/

http://www.ehow.com/how_7608890_knurl-cnc-lathe.html

I think that he was talking about putting a knurl pattern of a
flat surface by moving it under the knurling tool held in the mill's
locked spindle.

I don't think that the mill can apply enough force to do this,
however.

As for good *lathe* knurling tools -- my preference is the
Aloris sort of like this:

eBay auction # 370517093202

except that instead of having a shank, it fits directly on a BXA
toolpost. The knob turns a leadscrew with left-hand thread on one end,
and right-hand on the other so the rollers and arms remain centered
above and below the workpiece as you adjust the diameter.

Or -- with the turret, I prefer the 'T' style ones like in

eBay auction # 120738214924

except that mine have a 1" shank to fit my turret without an adaptor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Jun 2011 04:57:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:
snip
I think that he was talking about putting a knurl pattern of a
flat surface by moving it under the knurling tool held in the mill's
locked spindle.

snip
Guy Lautard's book _The Machinist's Third Bedside Reader_
has a write up on flat knurling.
snip
Do you want to know how to:

* fit a backplate to a lathe chuck?
* use an edgefinder to best advantage, and how to "Pick
up" an edge in a hurry?
* hold a gib strip for machining?
* pull a tee in the wall of a pipe?
* get broken taps out of aluminum?
== * knurl the edge of a rectangular block?===
* file off that last half thou?
snip

goto http://lautard.com/books.htm
or
http://www.amazon.com/Machinists-Thi.../dp/096909809X

for first two book in the series see
http://www.amazon.com/Machinists-Bed.../dp/0969098022
http://www.amazon.com/Guy-Lautard-TM.../dp/B0006J3G06

I have all three books and recommend them highly.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6708" wrote in message
Here's a weird question.

Got these knurls out of a cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I began to wonder if, perhaps, I can use them on my CNC mill, in order
to make knurled surfaces. Just put one (on a toolholder) in a spindle,
put the spindle on brake, and knurl the surface? Anyone tried this?

I ran a job (a tool) for one of my customers that required a straight knurl
in a groove. Using a single coarse roller, I made a holder that was held
in a 3/4" collet and knurled the part (tool steel). Worked fine, but
required several passes. Did it on a Bridgeport mill, in fact.

I expect you'd have similar success with a diamond tool, although you won't
be able to achieve the diamond pattern on a blind piece unless you do it
with single rollers, one at a time.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just had this thought:

You can make a very similar surface quickly with a scribe tool on a
CNC mill. Just program your pattern. I wouldn't risk harm to your Z
ball screw.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Just had this thought:

You can make a very similar surface quickly with a scribe tool on a
CNC mill. Just program your pattern. I wouldn't risk harm to your Z
ball screw.

Karl

I've never discounted the possibility of bearing damage (brinelling) on the
static spindle, either.

Harold

I-5 and a milling machine. Bill McKee Metalworking 17 November 28th 09 05:09 AM
milling machine gilles Woodworking 6 February 17th 07 07:16 PM
milling machine gilles Woodworking 11 January 24th 07 12:23 PM
cnc milling machine gilles Woodworking 8 December 20th 06 04:36 AM
F.S. Milling machine Dan Buckman Metalworking 1 March 10th 04 10:27 PM