Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Has anyone tried knurling on a CNC milling machine

On 2011-06-19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:15:40 -0500, Ignoramus6708
wrote:

Here's a weird question.

Got these knurls out of a cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I began to wonder if, perhaps, I can use them on my CNC mill, in order
to make knurled surfaces. Just put one (on a toolholder) in a spindle,
put the spindle on brake, and knurl the surface? Anyone tried this?

Thats not the best way to knurl.

http://www.proshoppublishing.com/articles_knurling.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...w-knurl-78492/

http://www.ehow.com/how_7608890_knurl-cnc-lathe.html

I think that he was talking about putting a knurl pattern of a
flat surface by moving it under the knurling tool held in the mill's
locked spindle.

I don't think that the mill can apply enough force to do this,
however.

As for good *lathe* knurling tools -- my preference is the
Aloris sort of like this:

eBay auction # 370517093202

except that instead of having a shank, it fits directly on a BXA
toolpost. The knob turns a leadscrew with left-hand thread on one end,
and right-hand on the other so the rollers and arms remain centered
above and below the workpiece as you adjust the diameter.

Or -- with the turret, I prefer the 'T' style ones like in

eBay auction # 120738214924

except that mine have a 1" shank to fit my turret without an adaptor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564