Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Has anyone tried knurling on a CNC milling machine

"Ignoramus6708" wrote in message
Here's a weird question.

Got these knurls out of a cabinet

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I began to wonder if, perhaps, I can use them on my CNC mill, in order
to make knurled surfaces. Just put one (on a toolholder) in a spindle,
put the spindle on brake, and knurl the surface? Anyone tried this?

I ran a job (a tool) for one of my customers that required a straight knurl
in a groove. Using a single coarse roller, I made a holder that was held
in a 3/4" collet and knurled the part (tool steel). Worked fine, but
required several passes. Did it on a Bridgeport mill, in fact.

I expect you'd have similar success with a diamond tool, although you won't
be able to achieve the diamond pattern on a blind piece unless you do it
with single rollers, one at a time.

Harold