Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What size is this piece of pipe?

I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet long.
I use them for braces, bushings, press fixtures, equipment stands, etc..
These pieces were drops that a guy who builds fences gave me many years
ago.

For the first time, I need to get a piece threaded. The OD is 2.405".
What the heck size is it? The OD spec. for 2" water pipe is 2.375" OD. If
I take a piece to my local plumbing company, will they be able to thread it
with their gear?

Pete Stanaitis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 10:33*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet long.
I use them for braces, bushings, press fixtures, *equipment stands, etc...
* These pieces were drops that a guy who builds fences *gave me many years
ago.

* For the first time, I need to get a piece threaded. *The OD is 2.405".
What the heck size is it? *The OD spec. for 2" water pipe is 2.375" OD. *If
I take a piece to my local plumbing company, will they be able to thread it
with their gear?

Pete Stanaitis

I believe that ASTM specifies a mill tolerance of 12.5%, so you should
be within spec for your 2" nominal pipe:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=157136
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 22:33:21 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet long.
I use them for braces, bushings, press fixtures, equipment stands, etc..
These pieces were drops that a guy who builds fences gave me many years
ago.

For the first time, I need to get a piece threaded. The OD is 2.405".
What the heck size is it? The OD spec. for 2" water pipe is 2.375" OD. If
I take a piece to my local plumbing company, will they be able to thread it
with their gear?

Pete Stanaitis

NO, fence pipe is not real pipe. It's tubing made to non-standard
sizes ( as far as pipe goes) Wall thickness is most likely too thin.

The 12.5% tolerance is on wall thickness, the OD is held much tighter.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 11:33*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet long.
I use them for braces, bushings, press fixtures, *equipment stands, etc...
* These pieces were drops that a guy who builds fences *gave me many years
ago.

* For the first time, I need to get a piece threaded. *The OD is 2.405".
What the heck size is it? *The OD spec. for 2" water pipe is 2.375" OD. *If
I take a piece to my local plumbing company, will they be able to thread it
with their gear?

It seems likely that this is a nominal 2-3/8" diameter galvanized end
post for chain link fencing. Probably too thin-walled to be threaded
with a water pipe thread.

If you need a short piece of similar (but thicker walled) threaded
material you can probably just pick up a 2" iron pipe nipple at any
real plumbing place.

Tim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is USED pipe, from some other application, not "fence pipe". I think
the guy said that he got thousands and thousands of feet of it from some
place in Texas. It is at least as thick walled as schedule 40 pipe. This
guy makes all welded fences for horse people's pastures, mostly.

Thanks for your input, guys,
Pete Stanaitis
----------------

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 11:33 pm, "Pete S" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:00:45 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

This is USED pipe, from some other application, not "fence pipe". I think
the guy said that he got thousands and thousands of feet of it from some
place in Texas. It is at least as thick walled as schedule 40 pipe. This
guy makes all welded fences for horse people's pastures, mostly.

Thanks for your input, guys,
Pete Stanaitis

Its probably downhole tubing. And much of it has swaged ends and then is
threaded.

They bump up the ends with a hydraulic expanding plug..then thread it

Gunner, from the heart of Californias oil field

----------------

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 11:33 pm, "Pete S" wrote:
[...]

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).

The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pipe cutting dies have a wide funnel to lead in pipe.
The difference is .0255 or consider tick coating.

What will happen is a deeper thread will be cut - bringing the
whole pipe into spec. The threads might be 90% or something not 65 or
70% sizing.

More coolant and lube but the machines should handle it.

Martin