Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What size is this piece of pipe?

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:00:45 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

This is USED pipe, from some other application, not "fence pipe". I think
the guy said that he got thousands and thousands of feet of it from some
place in Texas. It is at least as thick walled as schedule 40 pipe. This
guy makes all welded fences for horse people's pastures, mostly.

Thanks for your input, guys,
Pete Stanaitis

Its probably downhole tubing. And much of it has swaged ends and then is
threaded.

They bump up the ends with a hydraulic expanding plug..then thread it

Gunner, from the heart of Californias oil field

----------------

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
On Jun 8, 11:33 pm, "Pete S" wrote:
I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet
long.
I use them for braces, bushings, press fixtures, equipment stands, etc..
These pieces were drops that a guy who builds fences gave me many
years
ago.

For the first time, I need to get a piece threaded. The OD is 2.405".
What the heck size is it? The OD spec. for 2" water pipe is 2.375" OD.
If
I take a piece to my local plumbing company, will they be able to thread
it
with their gear?

It seems likely that this is a nominal 2-3/8" diameter galvanized end
post for chain link fencing. Probably too thin-walled to be threaded
with a water pipe thread.

If you need a short piece of similar (but thicker walled) threaded
material you can probably just pick up a 2" iron pipe nipple at any
real plumbing place.

Tim.

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).

The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking