Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Totally OT - Dog, Bee Sting, Reaction

Saturday I took the dog (32 pound Goldendoodle)
for his daily walk and I noticed there were a lot
of bees out. I thought I might have heard him
yelp at one point. I got him home and he started
going nuts, panting, running around in no particular
direction and trying to bite his back. After 5
minutes of this I started to get concerned. I
looked up the symptoms and they looked like an
allergic reaction. The recommended treatments
were a trip to the vet or a 25mg Benadryl capsule.
I had the Benadryl and gave him one. Within 5
minutes he had settled down and in another 5 minutes
he was himself, no worse for the wear.

I'm pretty sure he got a bee sting and had an
allergic reaction to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Saturday I took the dog (32 pound Goldendoodle)
for his daily walk and I noticed there were a lot
of bees out. I thought I might have heard him
yelp at one point. I got him home and he started
going nuts, panting, running around in no particular
direction and trying to bite his back. After 5
minutes of this I started to get concerned. I
looked up the symptoms and they looked like an
allergic reaction. The recommended treatments
were a trip to the vet or a 25mg Benadryl capsule.
I had the Benadryl and gave him one. Within 5
minutes he had settled down and in another 5 minutes
he was himself, no worse for the wear.

I'm pretty sure he got a bee sting and had an
allergic reaction to it.

Allergic reaction or not, his trying to bite his back indicates he had an
irritation on his back, which would certainly be indicative of a sting.
Assuming he did get stung, that would involve local histamine release, which
causes a lot of itching, redness, and tenderness.

The diphenhydramine you gave him reduces this inflammatory process (it is an
anti-histamine after all), and also serves as a calmative, with both effects
explaining his resulting behavior.

I'm glad fido is back to his normal state.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good thinking. I had never heard about reactions for pets before but it
makes total sense. May want to give him more small doses and watch him over
the next few days. Vet will just want to operate...

on your wallet

Tiger Balm works well for sting site when applied ASAP on humans.

------------------
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message ...
Saturday I took the dog (32 pound Goldendoodle)
for his daily walk and I noticed there were a lot
of bees out. I thought I might have heard him
yelp at one point. I got him home and he started
going nuts, panting, running around in no particular
direction and trying to bite his back. After 5
minutes of this I started to get concerned. I
looked up the symptoms and they looked like an
allergic reaction. The recommended treatments
were a trip to the vet or a 25mg Benadryl capsule.
I had the Benadryl and gave him one. Within 5
minutes he had settled down and in another 5 minutes
he was himself, no worse for the wear.

I'm pretty sure he got a bee sting and had an
allergic reaction to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 4:43*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Good thinking. I had never heard about reactions for pets before but it
makes total sense. May want to give him more small doses and watch him over
the next few days. *Vet will just want to operate...

* *on your wallet

Tiger Balm works well for sting site when applied ASAP on humans.

------------------"Jim Stewart" *wrote in ...

Meat tenderizer, mix into a paste. Kills the sting.

Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:
On May 23, 4:43 pm, wrote:
Good thinking. I had never heard about reactions for pets before but it
makes total sense. May want to give him more small doses and watch him over
the next few days. Vet will just want to operate...

on your wallet

Tiger Balm works well for sting site when applied ASAP on humans.

------------------"Jim Stewart" wrote in ...

Meat tenderizer, mix into a paste. Kills the sting.

Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

Interesting. I had a terrible case of poison oak
about 30 years ago. Ever since, if I thought I'd
been exposed, I'd come home, strip, throw my clothes
in the washer and shower good with Dr. Bronner's
Castile soap. Never had a problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 May 2011 12:28:23 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
[...]

yes, but also he'd now be sensitized to the sting, and any following stings
may cause more drastic problems, like failure to breathe or heart
complications. that's why people carry epi-pens.

he MAY be sensitized. Or he may have become less sensitive. Often its
the luck of the draw.

After a massive number of be stings..I became less sensitive to them.
NOT a process I recommend to anyone!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 5:18*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Cross-Slide wrote:
On May 23, 4:43 pm, *wrote:
Good thinking. I had never heard about reactions for pets before but it
makes total sense. May want to give him more small doses and watch him over
the next few days. *Vet will just want to operate...

* * on your wallet

Tiger Balm works well for sting site when applied ASAP on humans.

------------------"Jim Stewart" *wrote in ...

Meat tenderizer, mix into a paste. Kills the sting.

Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

Interesting. *I had a terrible case of poison oak
about 30 years ago. *Ever since, if I thought I'd
been exposed, I'd come home, strip, throw my clothes
in the washer and shower good with Dr. Bronner's
Castile soap. *Never had a problem.

I was once in the hospital for two weeks for serious, systemic(?)
poison ivy...
Wrapped up in sheets, soaked in? The ONLY parts not running sores were
the palms and soles and scalp..
Eyes, fingers, swollen shut, etc...

I would not recomend it as a spa treatment.
It doesn't bother me much, if ever in later life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:
Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

It might remove the resin, but it sure as heck won't "kill" or inactivate
it.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Cross-Slide wrote:
Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

It might remove the resin, but it sure as heck won't "kill" or inactivate
it.

Jon

Strong alkali soaps will wash it off. Bar laundry soaps are the traditional
treatment, but how quickly you have to use them depends on the individual.
With some it won't work more than an hour after exposure. With others, 12
hours or even more is good enough.

I don't know if those alkali laundry soaps, like Lux, are even alkaline
anymore, but they used to be.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 May 2011 15:18:04 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:
On May 23, 4:43 pm, wrote:
Good thinking. I had never heard about reactions for pets before but it
makes total sense. May want to give him more small doses and watch him over
the next few days. Vet will just want to operate...

on your wallet

Tiger Balm works well for sting site when applied ASAP on humans.

------------------"Jim Stewart" wrote in ...

Meat tenderizer, mix into a paste. Kills the sting.

Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

Interesting. I had a terrible case of poison oak
about 30 years ago. Ever since, if I thought I'd
been exposed, I'd come home, strip, throw my clothes
in the washer and shower good with Dr. Bronner's
Castile soap. Never had a problem.

Their headquarters was within spitting distance of where I worked in
Escondido in the mid '70s. I passed by his ALL ONE GOD sign daily to
get beer and a sandwich for lunch.

His Peppermint soap was always my favorite. I used organic blueberry
shampoo back then, too. The girls just loved it & couldn't keep their
fingers and noses out of my hair. 'Twas just what a shy guy needed.

--
Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought
is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 4:43 pm, "Josepi" wrote:

Good thinking. I had never heard about reactions for pets before but it
makes total sense. May want to give him more small doses and watch him
over
the next few days. *Vet will just want to operate...

* *on your wallet

Tiger Balm works well for sting site when applied ASAP on humans.

------------------"Jim Stewart" *wrote in

Papain. Not msg.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 9:36*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't know if those alkali laundry soaps, like Lux, are even alkaline
anymore, but they used to be.

--
Ed Huntress

As I remember Lux was always a soap advertised for how gentle it was
on skin. I think you are thinking of Octagon soap.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On May 23, 9:36 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't know if those alkali laundry soaps, like Lux, are even alkaline
anymore, but they used to be.

--
Ed Huntress

As I remember Lux was always a soap advertised for how gentle it was
on skin. I think you are thinking of Octagon soap.

Dan

May be. Octagon was another one. I think that Lux also made a laundry soap,
but that was a long time ago.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 9:18*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Cross-Slide wrote:
Castile soap kills the resin from poison ivy, or similar plants.

It might remove the resin, but it sure as heck won't "kill" or inactivate
it.

Jon

I browsed around the internet on Poison Ivy and found that the FDA
recently approved a product called Ivy Block which you put on before
exposure to prevent getting poison ivy rash.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message
On May 23, 9:36 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't know if those alkali laundry soaps, like Lux, are even alkaline
anymore, but they used to be.

--
Ed Huntress

As I remember Lux was always a soap advertised for how gentle it was
on skin. I think you are thinking of Octagon soap.

Dan

May be. Octagon was another one. I think that Lux also made a laundry
soap, but that was a long time ago.

"Fels Naptha" is what comes to my mind.....it's even still available in many
stores.

--mixed in the right proportion with washing soda and borax it actually
makes a fairly good laundry "detergent".

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Wasp sting Phisherman[_2_] Woodworking 6 September 14th 09 07:43 PM
Diesel sting Stephen Howard UK diy 29 September 6th 09 12:19 AM
OT Hornet Sting Rod UK diy 33 August 2nd 08 04:04 PM
Cif makes yer eye sting? T i m UK diy 44 July 23rd 05 08:00 PM
Re-doing Bilbo's "Sting" Don Bruder Metalworking 2 June 23rd 05 10:08 AM