Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Totally OT - Dog, Bee Sting, Reaction

On Mon, 23 May 2011 12:28:23 -0700, "chaniarts"
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Saturday I took the dog (32 pound Goldendoodle)
for his daily walk and I noticed there were a lot
of bees out. I thought I might have heard him
yelp at one point. I got him home and he started
going nuts, panting, running around in no particular
direction and trying to bite his back. After 5
minutes of this I started to get concerned. I
looked up the symptoms and they looked like an
allergic reaction. The recommended treatments
were a trip to the vet or a 25mg Benadryl capsule.
I had the Benadryl and gave him one. Within 5
minutes he had settled down and in another 5 minutes
he was himself, no worse for the wear.

I'm pretty sure he got a bee sting and had an
allergic reaction to it.

Allergic reaction or not, his trying to bite his back indicates he
had an irritation on his back, which would certainly be indicative of
a sting. Assuming he did get stung, that would involve local
histamine release, which causes a lot of itching, redness, and
tenderness.
The diphenhydramine you gave him reduces this inflammatory process
(it is an anti-histamine after all), and also serves as a calmative,
with both effects explaining his resulting behavior.

I'm glad fido is back to his normal state.

Jon

yes, but also he'd now be sensitized to the sting, and any following stings
may cause more drastic problems, like failure to breathe or heart
complications. that's why people carry epi-pens.

he MAY be sensitized. Or he may have become less sensitive. Often its
the luck of the draw.

After a massive number of be stings..I became less sensitive to them.
NOT a process I recommend to anyone!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch