Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diesel sting

Stephen Howard wrote:
Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Sodium Silicate?

""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said
Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug
of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red
lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull
and crossbones over the profile of a car."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 4, 6:06�pm, Stephen Howard wrote:

All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Sugar?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:

Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Sugar is the traditional additive for such instances, isn't it? or is
that just for petrol?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:
Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Sodium Silicate?

""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said
Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug
of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red
lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull
and crossbones over the profile of a car."

Presumably it would be a good idea if the vehicle made it a certain
distance off the premises before expiring?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:06:54 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:

That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the
scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all
the diesel in the tank runs away.

Has farmer removed the pins from the handle so that you have to hold
it on like retail filler nozzle? Or are the scroates suplying their
own pins or wiring the nozzle open?

If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the
hose.

How about a lockable valve right up against the tank

The daft thing is that if all they nicked was a few gallons on the
quiet, no-one would be any the wiser.

if a quantity of diesel was left in the old tank and a suitable
'additive' added to it, it might make for a nice 'gift' next time the
scrotes come round for a spot of traditional 'Olde Englishe Diesel
Snaffing'.

Water? It'll sit in the bottom of the tank and won't run an engine.
Will the scroates bother to check or notice?

A jerry can or two so of red diesel (always assuming it's not red
they are knicking) might result in them getting knicked for that but
it's probably a slim chance, unless you get registration numbers and
can tip off the authorities.

Not sure that any solids in suspension would get past the fuel filter
in large enough size/quantity to cause damage. They could clog filter
of course but that is simple to change.

Something soluable, sugar has always been an old wives tale. Donno
what affect that would have on a diesel engine. Of course you don't
know what the scroates are doing with the fuel, using it themselves
or flogging it on to so some "unsuspecting" punter, mind you if they
buying cheap diesel from "a man in the pub" they deserve what they
get...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 17:25, Adrian C wrote:

Sodium Silicate?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...09/07/31/AR200...

It is poured into the engine, where the oil would go; see the
Wikipedia entry.

I think diesel tanks usually have a side tapping, or an upstand, to
allow a space for sludge and condensed water to collect below the draw-
off. Heating oil tanks storing red diesel (class D?) are certainly
arranged like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was in the pub t'other night chatting with a local farmer - seems he
had a visit from a number of ne'er-do-wells who pinched a load of
diesel out of the farmyard tanks.
That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the
scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all
the diesel in the tank runs away.
If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the
hose.

The daft thing is that if all they nicked was a few gallons on the
quiet, no-one would be any the wiser.

Anyway, 'elf 'n safety have told him he needs a new tank as the
delivery men aren't allowed to climb ladders ( to fill tanks ) and the
farmer isn't allowed to operate the tanker gear ( hey ho ).

So, he's got a new tank and somewhere more secure to site it - and it
occurred to a few punters in the pub that if a quantity of diesel was
left in the old tank and a suitable 'additive' added to it, it might
make for a nice 'gift' next time the scrotes come round for a spot of
traditional 'Olde Englishe Diesel Snaffing'.

Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 18:06, Stephen Howard wrote:
I was in the pub t'other night chatting with a local farmer - seems he
had a visit from a number of ne'er-do-wells who pinched a load of
diesel out of the farmyard tanks.
That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the
scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all
the diesel in the tank runs away.
If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the
hose.

Fill it with petrol instead of diesel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apparently not http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bolted" wrote in message
On 4 Sep, 18:06, Stephen Howard wrote:
I was in the pub t'other night chatting with a local farmer - seems he
had a visit from a number of ne'er-do-wells who pinched a load of
diesel out of the farmyard tanks.
That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the
scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all
the diesel in the tank runs away.
If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the
hose.

Fill it with petrol instead of diesel.

Now that sounds like fun!

Not that I would suggest any such thing but I recall that the "standard"
thickening agent in a Molotov used to be pieces of a pair of tights.
Wikipedia differs and says: "Thickening agents such as tar, strips of tire
tubing, sugar, animal blood, XPS foam, egg whites, motor oil, rubber cement,
and dish soap have been added to help the burning liquid adhere to the
target and create clouds of thick choking smoke."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:06:54 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:
So, he's got a new tank and somewhere more secure to site it - and it
occurred to a few punters in the pub that if a quantity of diesel was
left in the old tank and a suitable 'additive' added to it, it might
make for a nice 'gift' next time the scrotes come round for a spot of
traditional 'Olde Englishe Diesel Snaffing'.

If he's not going to use that tank again, a couple of landmines buried
around the nozzle area would do, I'd think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 18:06, Stephen Howard wrote:

8
Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Milk shake syrup (not chocolate), custard powder, bleach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:41:03 +0100, Jim wrote:
Adrian C wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:
Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Sodium Silicate?

""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said
Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug
of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red
lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull
and crossbones over the profile of a car."

Presumably it would be a good idea if the vehicle made it a certain
distance off the premises before expiring?

Hooooo, yes. the last thing you want is a bunch of hacked-off scroates (though
there's an idea ...) with no transport wandering around an otherwise deserted
farmhouse.
I did see an episode of Mythbusters where they were trying various ways to
kill a car. ISTR they added bleach to the oil. The engine ran for some time
until it died a death. I don't know what effect it would have in diesel.
Anyone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]

Anyone?- Hide quoted text -

Tony Martin for Prime Minister!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

Any suggestions?

Something that doesn't do any damage but stinks.
Then you can find out who has the fuel.
As it is not tax paid you can then inform C&E and they have the power to
confiscate the vehicle and they will given the chance.
Red diesel is perfumed if you noticed, I can tell a car burning red as it
drives past, the same goes for paraffin in the diesel tank.

Maybe a metacaptainate (sp?) of some sort.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lino expert" wrote in message
On 4 Sep, 18:06, Stephen Howard wrote:

8
Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Wire the tank up the mains electric?

Wavey Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Maybe a metacaptainate (sp?) of some sort.

Mercaptan?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 18:22, "Clive George" wrote:
"Bolted" wrote in message

Fill it with petrol instead of diesel.

Far too obvious.

I guess, if they are putting it a container where they can see,before
filling their own tank (which I'm guessing they would, while at it).

How about some fertiliser and sugar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 14:15:48 -0700 (PDT), Bolted wrote:

I guess, if they are putting it a container where they can see,before
filling their own tank (which I'm guessing they would, while at it).

TBH the ones using the nozzle are amateurs at nicking fuel. The pros
have a the ubiquitous white van with one of those caged cubic metre
tanks in the back, a decent capacity 12v pump and a length of hose.
They park near the tank, stuff the hose into the filler of the tank
and pump it dry in a very few minutes...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bolted writes:
How about some fertiliser and sugar.

Just ammonium nitrate would do, I think.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On Sep 5, 1:46 pm, Stephen Howard wrote:
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:49:34 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:06:54 +0000, Stephen Howard wrote:

That in itself was bad enough, but it seems it's quite common for the
scrotes to leave the filler handle fixed open on the floor so that all
the diesel in the tank runs away.

Has farmer removed the pins from the handle so that you have to hold
it on like retail filler nozzle? Or are the scroates suplying their
own pins or wiring the nozzle open?

They wire the nozzle open - or simply cut it off.
I assume it's so that if they get caught in the act the farmer is
going to have to choose between chasing them or shutting off the
diesel leak.

If the farmer padlocks the filler to the tank, they simply cut the
hose.

How about a lockable valve right up against the tank

Moot point now as he has a new plastic tank - which the scrotes can
cut through with a hole saw....

The daft thing is that if all they nicked was a few gallons on the
quiet, no-one would be any the wiser.

if a quantity of diesel was left in the old tank and a suitable
'additive' added to it, it might make for a nice 'gift' next time the
scrotes come round for a spot of traditional 'Olde Englishe Diesel
Snaffing'.

Water? It'll sit in the bottom of the tank and won't run an engine.
Will the scroates bother to check or notice?

As the thefts are usually carried out at night it wouldn't be easy for
them to check 'on site' - but I would imagine they'd have a look
later.

A jerry can or two so of red diesel (always assuming it's not red
they are knicking) might result in them getting knicked for that but
it's probably a slim chance, unless you get registration numbers and
can tip off the authorities.

Not sure that any solids in suspension would get past the fuel filter
in large enough size/quantity to cause damage. They could clog filter
of course but that is simple to change.

Something soluable, sugar has always been an old wives tale. Donno
what affect that would have on a diesel engine. Of course you don't
know what the scroates are doing with the fuel, using it themselves
or flogging it on to so some "unsuspecting" punter, mind you if they
buying cheap diesel from "a man in the pub" they deserve what they
get...

I'm wondering is something like Redex might be an option. I don't
suppose it would do any damage, but I know it sure gives off a hell of
a lot of smoke if used in petrol engine.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net

Redex sounds expensive - would plain/old engine oil mix in and stay
mixed with the diesel? what would it do to a users engine? smoke?

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'd assume that the farm may well produce a lot of used oil from
servicing tractors, combines etc.
So how about just dumping all the waste oil in the old tank with the
remains of the diesel. dropping it into the top of a near empty tank
should stir it up enough to mix quite a bit.

Adding oily diesel to the scrotes vehicle would not incapacitate it
immediately but should make good smoke on the way home!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

great minds think alike bob!
jimk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

furnessvale wrote:
On Sep 4, 6:06�pm, Stephen Howard wrote:

All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Sugar?

....has absolutely no effect what so ever, in fact it makes quite a good
filter.

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Stephen Howard wrote:

Bearing in mind that such tanks are gravity powered and bottom ( or
thereabouts ) draining, whatever was added would need to be light
enough to remain in suspension or at least be whipped up by light
turbulence as the diesel drained out.
All I could come up with was fine carborundum powder.

Any suggestions?

Sugar is the traditional additive for such instances, isn't it? or is
that just for petrol?

Apparently not http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

We once has an aircraft sabotaged by some nerk putting sugar in the fuel. It
had no effect for ages until some stupid pilot didn't do his water drains
and the water in the fuel dissolved the sugar.
So we tried it in an old Brig & Stratton engine - it went on for ages- we
gave up in the end. Ten years later we still have the sample in the fuel
test cupboard to show people what sugar in fuel looks like.

Slatts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian C
writes

""We poured it into that Dodge and it killed it in eight seconds," said
Brooks, pointing to another vehicle as he put down the half-gallon jug
of liquid called "Clunker Bomb." The chemical is sodium silicate. In red
lettering on the bottle, it reads, "Engine Grenade," and there's a skull
and crossbones over the profile of a car."

I saw that the first time you posted. What a waste of a decent Volvo
that was.

How does the stuff work to destroy the engine?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]

Sand - it acts in the same way as carborundum powder but is cheaper and more
effective - their engine will soon be utterly useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Stephen Howard wrote:
[...]

How do you stop it from just settling in the bottom of the tank and get
it through the filter ?

--
geoff

OT Hornet Sting Rod UK diy 33 August 2nd 08 04:04 PM
Local Consumer Reporter Sting operation Exposes Crooked Locksmiths. Peter Home Repair 0 February 2nd 06 05:28 AM
Local Consumer Reporter Sting operation Exposes Crooked Locksmiths. Red Neckerson Home Repair 0 February 1st 06 11:04 PM
Cif makes yer eye sting? T i m UK diy 44 July 23rd 05 08:00 PM
Re-doing Bilbo's "Sting" Don Bruder Metalworking 2 June 23rd 05 10:08 AM