Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rittercnc

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

It's a SPAM site, nothing more.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

It's a SPAM site, nothing more.

As I understand it these "para-sites" simply mirror whats on the real NG
server and allow posting to the the site. Some of the more popular NG's
appear on a dozen or so similar sites. I find them a pain as when you are
looking for some information the google results will sometimes be full of
multiple copies of the same thing in these para-sites.

Is my understanding correct?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Pete C. wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

It's a SPAM site, nothing more.

Yep, just a fake spam site, SEO at its worst.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 07:46:46 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

I post regularly from on the road. I simply log into my normal usenet
server...which is giganews and $4.99 a month

My android cellphone allows me to "tether" via the USB port on the
bottom of it and I can connect easily.
Its not High Speed, but not bad and as long as I dont stay on for days
at a time, Sprint doesnt seem to object.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

I post regularly from on the road. I simply log into my normal usenet
server...which is giganews and $4.99 a month

My android cellphone allows me to "tether" via the USB port on the
bottom of it and I can connect easily.
Its not High Speed, but not bad and as long as I dont stay on for days
at a time, Sprint doesnt seem to object.

So are we to surmise you are semi-solvent, at this point?

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Very good!
But don't Repubes say 2+2 = 22?? At least when it's convenient, eh?
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

A number of topic oriented sites have Usenet portals to up their "content."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

It's a SPAM site, nothing more.

As I understand it these "para-sites" simply mirror whats on the real NG
server and allow posting to the the site. Some of the more popular NG's
appear on a dozen or so similar sites. I find them a pain as when you are
looking for some information the google results will sometimes be full of
multiple copies of the same thing in these para-sites.

Is my understanding correct?

No, it isn't. These are SPAM sites that try to lure people to them with
stolen content for the sole purpose of SPAMming them with advertising.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

A number of topic oriented sites have Usenet portals to up their "content."

A number of SPAM sites use stolen content from USENET to try to lure the
gullible to their sites for the sole purpose of SPAMming them with
advertising.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Pete C. wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

A number of topic oriented sites have Usenet portals to up their "content."

A number of SPAM sites use stolen content from USENET to try to lure the
gullible to their sites for the sole purpose of SPAMming them with
advertising.

They are spamming search engines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

Thanks everybody. I'm glad I asked before trying it. I had to change
my email address a while back because i tried too many suspect places.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

I post regularly from on the road. I simply log into my normal usenet
server...which is giganews and $4.99 a month

My android cellphone allows me to "tether" via the USB port on the
bottom of it and I can connect easily.
Its not High Speed, but not bad and as long as I dont stay on for days
at a time, Sprint doesnt seem to object.

Gunner

I'm curious, when I'm on the road I'm using the relatives or the
hotel's computer. Everybody has a browser, but nobody has a
newsreader. I tried google's last year, never again. Anything out
there to look at NG's from a guest computer?

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
... Some of the more popular NG's
appear on a dozen or so similar sites. I find them a pain as when you are
looking for some information the google results will sometimes be full of
multiple copies of the same thing in these para-sites.

Google has a feature to block them. I forget what it's called & whether
it has to be activated, but it works like this: you do a search, click
on a link, and when you go back to the search results, Google has added
a link: "Block all site results". Future searches will not return a
hit for that site.

I use it, but I wish that I didn't have to go the the site & back.
First - I often know before going there that I want it blocked, & second
- I do my site visits in a new tab, so that "back" isn't involved.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

Well ... rec.crafts.metalworking is a usenet newsgroup, which
means that it is not locked to a single sever -- it appears at many
servers throughout the world, and anything which you post at one
eventually should make it to all the others (assuming no no-nos like
binary attachments). And in this sense, *all* usenet servers are
mirrors of each other.

However, what you see is a gateway -- and apparently a one-way
gateway, because I see articles there which I have not seen in my usenet
server -- unless they are still in transit. But your question article
does show up there.

They do not make it clear that they import usenet, which is not
what I would consider proper, but it is not copyrighted, so they can get
away with it.

Personally, I would not use rittercnc.com for posting even if I
were sure that it made it to the full usenet distribution, because I
feel like working in a straitjacket when posting on a web based forum.
(I'm deprived of the features which my choice of editor gives me with a
real newsreader on my system.)

If you have net access, you should be able to access (from
anywhere) any of a number of usenet servers, including the one which I
use (news.newsguy.net) which costs about $10.00 per month, or $100.00
per year (your choice).

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/21/2011 02:42 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, when I'm on the road I'm using the relatives or the
hotel's computer. Everybody has a browser, but nobody has a
newsreader. I tried google's last year, never again. Anything out
there to look at NG's from a guest computer?

Assuming you have Windows, lots of apps are portable.

http://portableapps.com/

You download the suite, put on a thumbdrive. Good to go.

technomaNge
--
Herman Cain for President!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2011 07:51:49 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

I post regularly from on the road. I simply log into my normal usenet
server...which is giganews and $4.99 a month

[ ... ]

I'm curious, when I'm on the road I'm using the relatives or the
hotel's computer. Everybody has a browser, but nobody has a
newsreader. I tried google's last year, never again. Anything out
there to look at NG's from a guest computer?

Well ... assuming that they don't have it blocked -- carry a
newsreader of your choice on a thumb drive. You may have to suffer
through the delays of a virus scan of the whole thumb drive, depending
on how they have things configured, so a small thumb drive with nothing
but your newsreader. Maybe you can "install" it on the thumb drive and
run it that way, since they probably don't want you to install anything
on the hotel's system -- or your relatives may not want that either.
Besides, a lot of installations tend to store your account name and
password in the installation, and you *don't* want to leave that there.

Perhaps you could carry a netbook with what you wanted installed,
and connect via either an ethernet cable or a Wi-Fi port.

If it were unix, I could suggest several newsreaders. For
Windows -- well I don't touch the net with a Windows box so I don't
know, but others probably can suggest good ones.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 15:27:09 -0500, technomaNge
wrote:

On 05/21/2011 02:42 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, when I'm on the road I'm using the relatives or the
hotel's computer. Everybody has a browser, but nobody has a
newsreader. I tried google's last year, never again. Anything out
there to look at NG's from a guest computer?

Assuming you have Windows, lots of apps are portable.

http://portableapps.com/

You download the suite, put on a thumbdrive. Good to go.

technomaNge

thanks for the link. I see they have something called sea monkey.
should work.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Pete C. wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

A number of topic oriented sites have Usenet portals to up their "content."

A number of SPAM sites use stolen content from USENET to try to lure the
gullible to their sites for the sole purpose of SPAMming them with
advertising.

They are spamming search engines.

Yes, but the point is to lure the unsuspecting to their site to SPAM
them with advertising. The search engine bit is a side effect.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

It's a SPAM site, nothing more.

It was a very annoying site. It kept blowing up one of the statistics scripts I use to
generate Monday mornings stats for the last week. I had to rewrite their one of their
headers to fix the problem.

Basically a web parasite as other mentioned. If you want to use a parasite, go to
googlegroups, at least they paid for the privilage.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Pete C. wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

A number of topic oriented sites have Usenet portals to up their "content."

A number of SPAM sites use stolen content from USENET to try to lure the
gullible to their sites for the sole purpose of SPAMming them with
advertising.

They are spamming search engines.

Yes, but the point is to lure the unsuspecting to their site to SPAM
them with advertising. The search engine bit is a side effect.

The search center is the focus of their efforts. Search Engines is
what sends visitors to them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
If you have net access, you should be able to access (from
anywhere) any of a number of usenet servers, including the one which I
use (news.newsguy.net) which costs about $10.00 per month, or $100.00
per year (your choice).

Newsguy's "mini" service is 3GB/mo for $20 a year. It's more than
enough for me, but I/we don't "read" binaries to any extent. Or much
text for that matter. We've used 4-1/2GB in the last 6 mo.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 11:06:53 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

I post regularly from on the road. I simply log into my normal usenet
server...which is giganews and $4.99 a month

My android cellphone allows me to "tether" via the USB port on the
bottom of it and I can connect easily.
Its not High Speed, but not bad and as long as I dont stay on for days
at a time, Sprint doesnt seem to object.

So are we to surmise you are semi-solvent, at this point?

Son..Ive been "semi Solvent" since 1966 when I took my first job.

What is the actual question you are asking?

Do I have cable tv? No.
Do I have land lines at home? No..I have cell phones
Do I have any outside "fun" expenditures other than web acess? No.

Am I making a little bit of money? Yes
Is it less than 33% of what I used to make on average?..No..its about
38% based on some quick math.

Am I still taking care of other people besides myself and my ex wife?
Yes.

Am I paying the bills every month? Yes. Except that $185k medical bill

Was there any other questions?

Gunner

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Very good!
But don't Repubes say 2+2 = 22?? At least when it's convenient, eh?

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What is your cell phone format? If you are using an Android type
phone....there are several news readers that will run directly on your
cell phone

http://android.newsgroupstats.hk/

is one such.

Since I have a laptop..and dont have to read the tiny screen..I tether
and use a "regular" computer.

Im tied to my cell phone as I type this on my home desktop via USB port

http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php

its available for a number of cell phone formats and the price is VERY
reasonable if you wish to pay for it. I liked it so much I actually paid
for (2) copies.

Now my wife can log into the net via her cellphone as well.

We live in a rural area..so the speeds possible during the day time is
less than what I can get in the city, but its still very respectable.

And since Sprint just raised the "all in one" cost $10 per month for
data..I have no qualms about running it.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Assuming you have Windows, lots of apps are portable.

http://portableapps.com/

You download the suite, put on a thumbdrive. Good to go.

technomaNge

thanks for the link. I see they have something called sea monkey.
should work.

Your very own copy of Forte Agent will run from a thumbdrive.

BTW diybanter and craftkb are two more of those annoying usenet mirrors cough
I found them recently searching for something I have been working on since
January. Momentary WTF seeing my name and words on a forum I had never
previously visited until I realized it was my post from here.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-21, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
If you have net access, you should be able to access (from
anywhere) any of a number of usenet servers, including the one which I
use (news.newsguy.net) which costs about $10.00 per month, or $100.00
per year (your choice).

Newsguy's "mini" service is 3GB/mo for $20 a year. It's more than
enough for me, but I/we don't "read" binaries to any extent. Or much
text for that matter. We've used 4-1/2GB in the last 6 mo.

When I selected the level of service which I got, I was assuming
that my wife would be reading as much as I did (she used to, when I ran
my own news server). We don't go for binary newgroups either. As a
result, the unused bandwidth (which rolls over to each succeeding
month) is now nearing 3 TB. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Assuming you have Windows, lots of apps are portable.

http://portableapps.com/

You download the suite, put on a thumbdrive. Good to go.

technomaNge

thanks for the link. I see they have something called sea monkey.
should work.

Your very own copy of Forte Agent will run from a thumbdrive.

BTW diybanter and craftkb are two more of those annoying usenet mirrors cough
I found them recently searching for something I have been working on since
January. Momentary WTF seeing my name and words on a forum I had never
previously visited until I realized it was my post from here.

There is radiobanter as well, that accesses the ham radio & antique
radio groups. I've never seen anything but trolls and spammers posting
through it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Dennis wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm curious, is the below site some sort of mirror of RCM? Can you
post here when on the road and have it show up on RCM? Maybe I've been
sleeping under a rock but didn't know of such things.

Karl

http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworking/1.htm

It's a SPAM site, nothing more.

As I understand it these "para-sites" simply mirror whats on the real NG
server and allow posting to the the site. Some of the more popular NG's
appear on a dozen or so similar sites. I find them a pain as when you are
looking for some information the google results will sometimes be full of
multiple copies of the same thing in these para-sites.

Is my understanding correct?

No, it isn't. These are SPAM sites that try to lure people to them with
stolen content for the sole purpose of SPAMming them with advertising.

Ok. Thanks.

They seem keen on the electronics groups:
http://www.electronicspoint.com/
http://www.electrondepot.com/
http://www.electronics-related.com/index.php
http://www.edaboard.com/
etc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Dennis wrote:
... Some of the more popular NG's appear on a dozen or so similar sites.
I find them a pain as when you are looking for some information the
google results will sometimes be full of multiple copies of the same
thing in these para-sites.

Google has a feature to block them. I forget what it's called & whether
it has to be activated, but it works like this: you do a search, click on
a link, and when you go back to the search results, Google has added a
link: "Block all site results". Future searches will not return a hit
for that site.

I use it, but I wish that I didn't have to go the the site & back. First -
I often know before going there that I want it blocked, & second - I do my
site visits in a new tab, so that "back" isn't involved.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out.