Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cell phones kill bumblebees.....?

Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

How many hives have their own cell phone?

If the radiation from a phone under a hive does have an effect, how close does a cell
phone need to be to still have an effect?

Outside of maybe being a warning to beekeepers to turn off their cells when near the
hives, I don't see what is to worry.

Oh, well maybe doen't site your hives near cell towers either.

Reminds me of those sure that the crt was going to kill us all. I guess they moved on to
something like this when we went to flatscreens.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

How many hives have their own cell phone?

If the radiation from a phone under a hive does have an effect, how close
does a cell
phone need to be to still have an effect?

Outside of maybe being a warning to beekeepers to turn off their cells
when near the
hives, I don't see what is to worry.

Oh, well maybe doen't site your hives near cell towers either.

I guess that was what we were supposed to extrapolate from this rigorous
research experiment. Weren't we supposed to be overrun by South American
killer bees by now, anyway?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

How many hives have their own cell phone?

If the radiation from a phone under a hive does have an effect, how close
does a cell
phone need to be to still have an effect?

Outside of maybe being a warning to beekeepers to turn off their cells
when near the
hives, I don't see what is to worry.

Oh, well maybe doen't site your hives near cell towers either.

Reminds me of those sure that the crt was going to kill us all. I guess
they moved on to
something like this when we went to flatscreens.

But, directly or indirectly, the CRT DID lower the collective IQ of the
planet by at least 50 points.
--
EA

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

How many hives have their own cell phone?

If the radiation from a phone under a hive does have an effect, how close
does a cell
phone need to be to still have an effect?

Outside of maybe being a warning to beekeepers to turn off their cells
when near the
hives, I don't see what is to worry.

Oh, well maybe doen't site your hives near cell towers either.

I guess that was what we were supposed to extrapolate from this rigorous
research experiment. Weren't we supposed to be overrun by South American
killer bees by now, anyway?

Weren't those on Saturday Night Live once? Those are HUGE!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 08:03:50 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
news
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

How many hives have their own cell phone?

If the radiation from a phone under a hive does have an effect, how close
does a cell
phone need to be to still have an effect?

Outside of maybe being a warning to beekeepers to turn off their cells
when near the
hives, I don't see what is to worry.

Oh, well maybe doen't site your hives near cell towers either.

I guess that was what we were supposed to extrapolate from this rigorous
research experiment. Weren't we supposed to be overrun by South American
killer bees by now, anyway?

Weren't those on Saturday Night Live once? Those are HUGE!

Who could _ever_ forget John Belushi dressed up as a bee?
Or in a toga?

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctively native American criminal class except Congress.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
news Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Those antennas were starting to really **** him off.
I love where he tosses the tomato in the air, and then cuts it in half with
the samurai sword.
And then there's the Bass-O-Matic.

I guess we are all old and have no sense of humor any more, as the new
comedians and "comedy" just don't turn me on. I guess today's world can't
take a full hour of comedy any more.

Except, maybe Sinbad.

"You know when you're getting old. You HAVE to go to the movies together.
One to watch, and one to hear." He's coming to Tuacan near us, and I think
I'm going to go. He does some funny stuff, and without the N and F bombs.
Just every day life that everyone can relate to.

There's a few others. That crowd on World's Dumbest are a hoot.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2011 6:02 AM, Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...s-study-finds/

Interesting and VERY distressing if true.

How many hives have their own cell phone?

If the radiation from a phone under a hive does have an effect, how close does a cell
phone need to be to still have an effect?

Outside of maybe being a warning to beekeepers to turn off their cells when near the
hives, I don't see what is to worry.

Oh, well maybe doen't site your hives near cell towers either.

Reminds me of those sure that the crt was going to kill us all. I guess they moved on to
something like this when we went to flatscreens.

Wes

doesn't it bother anyone that there was no mention of 1/r^2??? the max
power from an old analog cell phone is 300 mw. it is a point radiator.
what is the power density in a 1 cubic foot hive 100 yards from the
emitter? not very many nanowatts.... do the math.

--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
On 5/15/2011 6:02 AM, Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

[...]

What is astounding is how Fox headlined the story in a manner that falsely
claims a definate, proven link between honey bee colony collapse and cell
phone radiation when in fact the only thing the research demonstrates is
that honey bees get agitated when in the immediate vicinity of cell phone
radiation and that the researcher would like some more monetary funding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/sc...bees.html?_r=1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 10:02:19 -0700, Bill Noble
wrote:

On 5/15/2011 6:02 AM, Wes wrote:
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Id think that the tower emissions is the major issue and any resident
issues that someone keying a cell phone next to a hive may have over not
just talk time, but after the guy drives off. And keep in mind..as long
as a cell phone is turned on..its radiating signal. Often at the same
output as an actual call, even just on standby.

If I hit your foot with a sledge hammer..it may only be for just a
fracton of a second..but how long with that effect you?

And bees travel a considerable distance from the hive. What happens if
you zap their sense of direction or homing abilities while they are out
and about? Or degrade it over time while the hive radius is inside the
"damage range" of a cell tower, busy street or? They may simply fly off
on their normal duties..and not be able to find their way home.

There is some mechanism that has killed off a ****load of bees ALL OVER
the 1st world.

What is it?

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

There is some mechanism that has killed off a ****load of bees ALL OVER
the 1st world.

The beekeeper at our club told me that bees don't winter over very well in northern
michigan. He has to buy some new ones every year.

He also told me that the african bees don't like our weather either and die off.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 15, 7:40*pm, Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
There is some mechanism that has killed off a ****load of bees ALL OVER
the 1st world.

The beekeeper at our club told me that bees don't winter over very well in northern
michigan. *He has to buy some new ones every year.

He also told me that the african bees don't like our weather either and die off.

Wes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

I wonder if remoted speaker audio from the cell phones would agitate
bees.

Do wireless (vs wired) cameras observing the hive also bother them?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 19:40:17 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

There is some mechanism that has killed off a ****load of bees ALL OVER
the 1st world.

The beekeeper at our club told me that bees don't winter over very well in northern
michigan. He has to buy some new ones every year.

He also told me that the african bees don't like our weather either and die off.

Wes

True indeed. And we have been keeping bees for centuries.

Why are they been dying off over the past 30 yrs in amazing numbers?

I sure dont know and we really need to find out.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:57:22 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On May 15, 7:40*pm, Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
There is some mechanism that has killed off a ****load of bees ALL OVER
the 1st world.

The beekeeper at our club told me that bees don't winter over very well in northern
michigan. *He has to buy some new ones every year.

He also told me that the african bees don't like our weather either and die off.

Wes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

I wonder if remoted speaker audio from the cell phones would agitate
bees.

Do wireless (vs wired) cameras observing the hive also bother them?

jsw

Some life forms may..may be sensitive to ranges of frequencies of RF.

Shrug..beyond my paygrade.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

Gunner Asch wrote:

True indeed. And we have been keeping bees for centuries.

Why are they been dying off over the past 30 yrs in amazing numbers?

I sure dont know and we really need to find out.

Bees are not in any danger and neither are crops.
It is only bad beekeeping
and lousy agriculture practices that are in danger.

Small organic beekeepers are not having problems.

It is the large industrial operations that
use lots of chemicals and antibiotics
and feed their bees lots of refined sugar
Those are the bees that are having colonies collapse

http://biobees.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 17, 7:41*am, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote:

Bees are not in any danger and neither are crops. *
It is only bad beekeeping
and lousy *agriculture practices that are in danger.

Small organic beekeepers are not having problems.

It is the large industrial operations that
use lots of chemicals and antibiotics
and feed their bees lots of refined sugar
Those are the bees that are having colonies collapse

http://biobees.com/

I do not a lot of faith in web sites that exist to advertise books.
There is a more detailed article on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

But even if the small organic beekeepers are not having problems
( but as far as I know they are ) , why are the wild bees having
problems?

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

" wrote:

On May 17, 7:41 am, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote:

Bees are not in any danger and neither are crops.
It is only bad beekeeping
and lousy agriculture practices that are in danger.

Small organic beekeepers are not having problems.

It is the large industrial operations that
use lots of chemicals and antibiotics
and feed their bees lots of refined sugar
Those are the bees that are having colonies collapse

http://biobees.com/

I do not a lot of faith in web sites that exist to advertise books.
There is a more detailed article on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

But even if the small organic beekeepers are not having problems
( but as far as I know they are ) , why are the wild bees having
problems?

What makes you think wild bees are dying,
Where I live wild honey bees and bumblebees
are extremely abundant
Right now with the apple, plum and cherry blossoms out
I can see thousands of wild bees in a single glance
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 17, 8:42*am, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote:

What makes you think wild bees are dying,
Where I live wild honey bees and bumblebees
are extremely abundant
Right now with the apple, plum and cherry blossoms out
I can see thousands of wild bees in a single glance

Stories as this one. http://m.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/sep...ng-mason-bees/

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:41:02 -0500, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

True indeed. And we have been keeping bees for centuries.

Why are they been dying off over the past 30 yrs in amazing numbers?

I sure dont know and we really need to find out.

Bees are not in any danger and neither are crops.
It is only bad beekeeping
and lousy agriculture practices that are in danger.

Small organic beekeepers are not having problems.

It is the large industrial operations that
use lots of chemicals and antibiotics
and feed their bees lots of refined sugar
Those are the bees that are having colonies collapse

http://biobees.com/

Thanks for the book cite.

Now how about some proof of your claim?

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 07:42:31 -0500, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net
wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

Where I live...colonies are disappearing ..including wild bees

And Im smack in the middle of Californias ag belt.

Gunner