Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default radio interference

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"amdx" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Apr 16, 12:54 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Professor Will appears to have jumped the gun. Here's the latest
example:

" [R]espondents were asked whether they agreed with various
characterizations of different racial groups. Only 35 percent of those
who
strongly approve of the tea party agreed that blacks are hardworking,
compared with 55 percent of those who strongly disapprove of the tea
party.
On whether blacks were intelligent, 45 percent of the tea-party
supporters
agreed, compared with 59 percent of the tea-party opponents. And on the
issue of whether blacks were trustworthy, 41 percent of the tea-party
supporters agreed, compared with 57 percent of the tea-party opponents.

"The survey, which included about 1,000 respondents in six battleground
states (like Michigan and Nevada) and California, found similar margins
on
questions regarding Latinos."

http://depts.washington.edu/uwiser/mssrp_table.pdf

George tends to fall in love with his own rhetorical skills and to go
off
half-cocked when he thinks he has a great insight. His "insight" this
time
appears to be that the Tea Party is the second coming of his beloved
Burkean
conservatives, with a strong libertarian bent. The evidence is that not
everyone in the Tea Party is a racist, but that racists seem to
gravitate
toward the Tea Party -- something like Muslims and terrorists.

--
Ed Huntress

It would be interesting if the same questions were asked about white
folks. It could be that members of the Tea Party have a lower opinion
about everyone. In fact I would expect members of a group that thinks
the government is not hard working, trustworthy, or intelligent, would
also think everyone is the same way.

Dan

That's an interesting thought. I'd like to see such a study, too.

--
Ed Huntress

There was study on racism performed in Nov, 2008.
About 95% of blacks voted for a black for president over a white.
Mikek

So did I.

That's smart. What's dumb is blue-collar white men voting for a washed-up
old Republican.

--
Ed Huntress

I'll give you that we didn't have the best candidate, but at least he did
believe that
America is great country and we have helped the world.
The president we have now does not believe in the individual and what we
can
accomplish when government gets out of the way.
I believe a lot of poverty in America is caused by government programs that
promote the idea that you don't need to provide for yourself.
I believe that the rich provide jobs for most people, and it will hurt the
economy
if you take more from them. The top 1% pay 38% of all taxes and the bottom
50%
pay 2% of taxes. That is messed up. In my opinion if you don't pay taxes you
should not have a voice in how those taxes are spent. And I don't want to
hear they
pay payroll taxes, those are social security taxes are a forced retirement
program.
Sometimes known as a ponze scheme.
I believe that if you are motivated you can provide a comfortable lifestyle
and
save for you future, and if the government would get out of the way it would
be much easier.
Our president did say he would raise energy prices and he has done that
and if we let him
he will raise them more.
Have you noticed the rise in your electric bill sense Obama was elected?
We need to reduce the public dole rather than add more, as Obama wants to
do.
It's time for you to grow up and take care of yourself instead of looking to
the taxpayers to
care for you.
Mikek

PS, Karl, how's the 1 wire system problem coming along?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 03:23:39 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:57 pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Seriously, folks. If Karl REALLY needs to monitor the temperature
CONSTANTLY, then all this shielding and grounding and filtering would
be the way to go, BUT, how fast is the temperature going to change? A
couple of lines of code and you can toggle DTR when you want a
reading. I can't imagine any drastic temperature changes occurring in
less than a few minutes. Just take a reading and go to sleep for a
while. Nobody's going to notice a tiny burst of RF every 15 minutes.

yep, I need ten readings an hour. This unit has a chip programmed to
sample constantly. The computer fires up once every six minutes and
records a reading.

I played with 1wire, a DS1820, and visual basic. I was not able to
make it work. Not my area of expertise. I'm going to get another
chance as i need to read an anolog voltage for a leaf wetness meter
too.

I should be able to install a shielded cable in a couple hours.

Karl

If, between readings, you make sure that DTR goes low, the remote unit
will have no power and won't transmit anything.

Would you be willing to provide an example in visual basic? If I could
get an example of how to shut it off for five minutes and then take a
reading, I could take it from there. Sorry VB6 is the only language I
have ANY knowledge.

Karl

Hi Karl,
Here's a forum that is about 1 Wire systems. When I was installing
my system I got a lot of help here.
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...showf orum=41

This is the home of the forum,
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/

Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 10:29*am, Karl Townsend
Would you be willing to provide an example in visual basic? If I could
get an example of how to shut it off for five minutes and then take a
reading, I could take it from there. *Sorry VB6 is the only language I
have ANY knowledge.

Karl-

This QBasic code fragment reads a Radio Shack serial voltmeter:

OPEN "COM2:600,N,7,2,RS,CS,DS,CD" FOR RANDOM AS 2
a$ = "D"
DO
PRINT #2, "D" ' command a reading
in$ = INPUT$(14, #2) ' what if 14 chars sent???
PRINT in$
t! = TIMER
DO: LOOP UNTIL TIMER t! + .1 ' works on D2400 DOS
LOOP UNTIL INKEY$ ""
CLOSE #2

This is from the manual for a Keithley 2420 Sourcemeter:

ComOpen$ = "COM2: 9600,N,8,1,ASC,CD0,CS0,DS0,LF,OP0,RS,TB8192,RB8192 "
OPEN ComOpen$ FOR RANDOM AS #1

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I built a serial port temp. sensor years ago based on this fella's
work:
http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/

And just bought kit 145 from carl's electronics:
http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k145.pdf

The unit uses DS1820 temp sensors and connects to the pc serial port.
There is a fifty foot run from the computer to the sensor.

My better half made me quit using it because of AM radio interference.
There is a constant beep beep beep.

I'm once again in need of 24 X 7 temp. logging. Is there an easy way
to salvage this unit? Or am I better off to just start over with some
sort of analog unit?

Karl

Get out a little portable AM radio and see if you can localize the
interference. We used to do that for noisy insulators on power poles back
when I worked for the phone company. Its shade tree, but it works.

Most likely though that 50' cable is the culprit. Is it shielded cable? Is
the shield loose at the far and attached to ground at the serial port?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

My God. I've never heard anyone who has so completely bought into the whole
enchilada. The billions of dollars that the plutocrats have paid to market
their bill of goods to you has really paid off.

It isn't worth trying to argue those points because there are so many of
them, and you probably wouldn't believe the facts, anyway. But here's one
small example of what you'd see if you actually dug into those ideas of
yours to see if they hold up in the face of the evidence: The price of
electricity has gone *down*, not up, since Obama came into office. But Obama
had nothing to do with it.

Average retail price in 2008 was 11.26 cents/kWhr in 2008. So far in 2011,
it's 10.99 cents/kWhr.:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html (bottom table,
"Electric Sales, Revenue and Average Price")

Maybe you're leaving your lights on at night.

Are you an evidence-based kind of guy, or are you one of those who thinks he
already knows what all the answers are? If you're the former, we can pick
through those things and see what the facts are. If you're the latter, grab
a beer and pull up a stool. You have plenty of company here.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message

I believe that the rich provide jobs for most people,

True in a sense perhaps, but since "most people" happen to live either in
India or China NOT the US....

and it will hurt the economy
if you take more from them.

The problem here is we have been taking less from the rich and from the
corporations for what's going on nearly three decades now and what's
happened instead is that family wage jobs continue to disappear and poverty
rates have been increasing for the entire period, except during Clintons
term....in addition, US wages overall continue to paint a rather dismal
portrait when adjusted for inflation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
newsq6dnabVL9GSrjbQnZ2dnUVZ_qqdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"amdx" wrote in message

I believe that the rich provide jobs for most people,

True in a sense perhaps, but since "most people" happen to live either in
India or China NOT the US....

and it will hurt the economy
if you take more from them.

The problem here is we have been taking less from the rich and from the
corporations for what's going on nearly three decades now and what's
happened instead is that family wage jobs continue to disappear and
poverty rates have been increasing for the entire period, except during
Clintons term....in addition, US wages overall continue to paint a rather
dismal portrait when adjusted for inflation.

I'm afraid that's more a part of working in a world economy than less
taxes for the rich
and corporations. When the rest of the world started to catch up with us in
technology/production -and- had lower wages, it caused that sucking sound
that Perot spoke about.
As far as taxing corporations, as you know, we the purchasers pay all
those taxes, so if
you eliminate corporate taxes we could sell more products overseas (lower
prices)
and add jobs here.
Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Karl- Hide quoted text -

Sure, and there's nothing at all wrong with VB6. Have a look at this
web page:
http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/vb/vb1.html

Or, this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.60).aspx

Basically, you want to do something like:

MSComm1.DTREnable = True 'turn on DTR
' wait a little while here for the other end to wake up
' take a reading
MSComm1.DTREnable = False 'turn off DTR

from the microsoft page:
When DTREnable is set to True, the Data Terminal Ready line is set to
high (on) when the port is opened, and low (off) when the port is
closed. When DTREnable is set to False, the Data Terminal Ready always
remains low.

You could put the whole thing inside a timer event, where the timer
triggers every 5 minutes. The timer timeout is in milliseconds, so
that would be 300000. You can't set a timer that long in vb6, so what
you would do is set a timer for, say, 60000 (one minute) - every time
that triggers, check if it's the fifth time. If it is, then reset the
minute count to zero and go poll for data.

This is all from memory - you're going to have to check to see if I
got it right, but...

Drag a timer object into you project. Set it's timeout property to
60000, and set it to enabled.

At the top of the program, declare a global variable:
Dim NumberOfMinutes as integer
also, declare this function - you're gonna need it soon...
Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwMilliseconds
As Long)

Double click on the timer object, and vb will automatically create a
subroutine to handle the timer's timeout. This subroutine will be
called once a minute.

Sub Timer1.Timer (don't worry about the stuff in parentheses, what
goes there is all automatic and you don't need to change it)
NumberOfMinutes = NumberOfMinutes + 1
if NumberOfMinutes = 5 then
MSComm1.DTREnable = True 'turn on DTR
' wait a second here for the other end to wake up
Sleep 1000
' take a reading
(your code goes here)
MSComm1.DTREnable = False 'turn off DTR
NumberOfMinutes = 0
end if
end sub

One imperfect thing here is that during the sleep 1000, the program is
totally hung. If that's a problem, there are ways around it. Just
google "vb6 sleep"

That's all you ought to need, I think. But if there's more, let me
know.

I'm a hardware guy from way back, but if there's a couple of lines of
code that can fix busted hardware, well, why not?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 1:29*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:26:42 -0500, Karl Townsend

wrote:
I built a serial port temp. sensor years ago based on this fella's
work:
http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/

And just bought kit 145 from carl's electronics:
http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k145.pdf

The unit uses DS1820 temp sensors and connects to the pc serial port.
There is a fifty foot run from the computer to the sensor.

My better half made me quit using it because of AM radio interference.
There is a constant beep beep beep.

I'm once again in need of 24 X 7 temp. logging. Is there an easy way
to salvage this unit? Or am I better off to just start over with some
sort of analog unit?

Buy her a bloody FM radio! *Better yet, a sat radio, with none of the
farkin' commercials playing all the time.

--
Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the
tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that

Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation
of liberals whose default position in any argument is to
indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left
-- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data --
is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding
engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for
the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing
liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral
weakness and bad sociology. * *--George Will 14 JAN 2011
Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"

Two lines of specious information, and a diatribe. So much for
technical information.

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 1:47*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Mark F wrote:

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:26 pm, Karl
wrote:
I built a serial port temp. sensor years ago based on this fella's
work:http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/

Those are not "intentional radiators".

You've missed the point, there is a moral dimension here - its
relatively easy to STOP the interference, no need to run off and get a
lawyer and claim you got no responsibility. Thought you lot were
better than that.

Andrew VK3BFA.