Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln SA-200 Starter: repair or replace?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:34:49 -0500, Ignoramus23509
wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

Well, so we have four people saying it is crap, and I agree.

I will call Napa tomorrow, if I can get what I want for $62 and they
take my old starter for core, AND I can have it on Friday, I will be
happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

Well, so we have four people saying it is crap, and I agree.

I will call Napa tomorrow, if I can get what I want for $62 and they
take my old starter for core, AND I can have it on Friday, I will be
happy.

G'luck!

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

Well, so we have four people saying it is crap, and I agree.

I will call Napa tomorrow, if I can get what I want for $62 and they
take my old starter for core, AND I can have it on Friday, I will be
happy.

G'luck!

Napa has a rebuilt one for $45. It will work for me. I may even get it
tonight!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

Well, so we have four people saying it is crap, and I agree.

No, 5 ;-)
See a lot of starters on a daily basis and that one is dead.
If you will try a rebuild of that starter you will minimum need a new rotor
and a new set of brushes for it.

I will call Napa tomorrow, if I can get what I want for $62 and they
take my old starter for core, AND I can have it on Friday, I will be
happy.

For that price you might or might not be able to buy the parts I listed.
What about the bearings/bushings, gears and, and......

I know for sure what I would go for :-)

PS If you are able to get the old one working by Friday, say 10 starts I
will be amazed.

--
Uffe Bærentsen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So you would also get that rebuild at Napa, right?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely. Good price, honorable vendor, immediate access. What's to
think about. Just Do It!

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take
the last step into a thousand years of darkness.?
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep. I might even get the starter today, and work on the welder this
weekend!

My next question is the carb. Since fuel was so gummed up in the bowl,
it is probably gummed up in the carb? SShould I just take it off and
clean?

What sort of solvent works best for this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

Well, so we have four people saying it is crap, and I agree.

I will call Napa tomorrow, if I can get what I want for $62 and they
take my old starter for core, AND I can have it on Friday, I will be
happy.

G'luck!

Napa has a rebuilt one for $45. It will work for me. I may even get it
tonight!

At $45, just go for it. If they don't want the old "core" give it a shot
at turning and rebuilding for the experience and if it works you have a
backup.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:74Sdnf_4UeoHYw7QnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2011-03-31, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:34:49 -0500, Ignoramus23509
wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...er/01-Starter-...

[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

Carb cleaner, see what NAPA has. Used to have a gallon can for sale
with solvent in the bottom, a water seal on top and a basket you could
stick parts in to soak. Not the same stuff as you get in a spray can,
had really nice stuff like cresylic acid in it. Probably EPA'd to
death these days. Did the job, though. Had to make sure only metal
went into the basket, will eat gaskets and rubber parts. Once boiled
out with that stuff, you had to clean off the cleaner and blow dry
with an air hose. Engines didn't like the mix of cleaner and water if
you left it in the passages. May not be a whole lot of call for it in
the last couple of decades since everyone has gone to fuel injection.
Ditto for carb rebuild kits, which you probably will also need for
gaskets and maybe needle and seat.

You might try a can or two of the aeresol cleaner, it's getting spendy
these days, too. I've had floats stuck to the bottom of the bowl when
they'd been sitting long enough, breaking them free got the engines
running but the carbs still needed cleaning because of the gum left.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...er/01-Starter-...

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? Â*I knew you could.

[...]

Absolutely. Â*Good price, honorable vendor, immediate access. What's to
[...]

Berryman's B-9 ChemDip carb cleaner is all you'll ever need (unless
the greenies futzed it up by changing the nastyass chemicals in it)
It comes with a dip basket. DO NOT forget and leave a carb in it
overnight. It works too well.

B-9 for the inside, B-12 for the outside. Can't go wrong.
http://goo.gl/OiMlM 1 gal
http://goo.gl/lofBP 5 gal
http://goo.gl/lLeGs carb linkage cleaner
Berryman puts out the very best stuff I ever used in my years as a
mechanic.

Anything which -can- now be sold in the Republik of Kalifornia is
worthless. Y'know, the cans with contents marked "environmentally
responsible". The greenies got rid of methylene chloride which is the
best carb varnish remover of all time.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take
the last step into a thousand years of darkness.?
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are 3 or 4 places in town that would likely have a good used one
on the shelf for $15 or $20 here, as well as at least 4 rebuilders
that would likely have a couple already on the shelf - that I know
were rebuilt properly. That said, my local NAPA is only less than a
mile away and I drive past it twice a day - so unless I was headed
past one of the other places in my normal daily driving (or at least
close) I'd likely nab the one from NAPA. (assuming they have it in
stock - and the warehouse is only about 15 miles away, so if it's in
the warehouse I can generally have it (delivered) in less than 2
hours) I'm within 1/4 mile of one of the better rebuilders at least
twice a day too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sea Foam.

If that doesn't work, start looking for a "jiffy kit" and a can of
"carb dip"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Carb cleaner in a spray can.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which carb is on that thing? If it is the Zenith R57 it was VERY
common on older tractors and industrial equiment - a fork lift company
would likely have the parts available. So would the antique tractor
guys.
The same basic engine was used in Case V series tractors, Cockshutt 20
and 540 tractors, Oliver Super 44 and 440, Massy 20 series and colt,
Co-op, and numerous other tractors. Some were smaller displacement
(the 163 was the last of the 4 cyl L Head Contis)
If it's a Marvel, parts will be VERY difficult to get hold of, but
the Zenith is a bolt-on replacement. If it is an F163 series 4000 Red
Seal, most likely it is the Zenith

You can get a lot of information at billswelderrepair.com, and I think
they have a lot of parts still available as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I think that it is a Zenith. I looked tonight at it with a
light, and could not find a number.

Should I just take it off and take it to Napa? I will call Lincoln
tomorrow also. They may have replaced a carb, as he manual refers to a
diff carburetor. very unlike the one on the welder.