Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Uffe Bærentsen Uffe Bærentsen is offline

Default Lincoln SA-200 Starter: repair or replace?

On 2011-03-31, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:34:49 -0500, Ignoramus23509
wrote:

Pete, look at this picture.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...arter-0006.jpg

The commutator looks like ****.

Understatement.

Can you say "That starter is HISTORY!"? I knew you could.

Put it back together and pray for a core allowance. They might not if
you left the endcap off.

Well, so we have four people saying it is crap, and I agree.

No, 5 ;-)
See a lot of starters on a daily basis and that one is dead.
If you will try a rebuild of that starter you will minimum need a new rotor
and a new set of brushes for it.

I will call Napa tomorrow, if I can get what I want for $62 and they
take my old starter for core, AND I can have it on Friday, I will be
happy.

For that price you might or might not be able to buy the parts I listed.
What about the bearings/bushings, gears and, and......

I know for sure what I would go for :-)

PS If you are able to get the old one working by Friday, say 10 starts I
will be amazed.

--
Uffe Bærentsen