Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car repair - starter motor won't engage

In 1999 Honda Civic 1300 (UK): About every fourth or every third start
the key-turn produces a horrible loud grating / rasping which sounds
like the starter has failed to engage properly with the gearing on the
flywheel.

A second key-turn immediately starts the car and away we go.

Is the gearing non-engagement a correct analysis?

Is this a garage job?

Any simply fix?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"muymalestado" wrote in message
In 1999 Honda Civic 1300 (UK): About every fourth or every third start
the key-turn produces a horrible loud grating / rasping which sounds
like the starter has failed to engage properly with the gearing on the
flywheel.

A second key-turn immediately starts the car and away we go.

Is the gearing non-engagement a correct analysis?

Is this a garage job?

Any simply fix?

Rip it out.
Clean the working components with degreaser, don't lubricate any moving part
as it will attract dirt.
Allow to dry properly
Re-attach to car.
Test

Posted to uk.d-i-y

muymalestado wrote:
In 1999 Honda Civic 1300 (UK): About every fourth or every third start
the key-turn produces a horrible loud grating / rasping which sounds
like the starter has failed to engage properly with the gearing on the
flywheel.

A second key-turn immediately starts the car and away we go.

Is the gearing non-engagement a correct analysis?

Is this a garage job?

Any simply fix?

I would have thought a starter motor of that era would be pre-engaged but if
not then it's probably the starter gear sticking on the Bendix spiral. A
good clean up (no lubrication as you've already been advised) might fix it
or stick a new starter motor on. Leave it too long and it'll rip up the
teeth on the flywheel and then you're into a big repair job.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

muymalestado wrote:
In 1999 Honda Civic 1300 (UK): About every fourth or every third start
the key-turn produces a horrible loud grating / rasping which sounds
like the starter has failed to engage properly with the gearing on the
flywheel.

A second key-turn immediately starts the car and away we go.

Is the gearing non-engagement a correct analysis?

Is this a garage job?

Any simply fix?

a tooth or two or 3 chipped,?
so when 2 broken ones engage it slips-
if so it will get worse and worse...

hope its just teeth on the starter broken
as you dont want to replace the teeth on the flywheel/engine
or wherever they are on a honda....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for quick responses. This means a trip down to that nice
man who . . . .

Best wishes of the season.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

muymalestado wrote:
In 1999 Honda Civic 1300 (UK): About every fourth or every third start
the key-turn produces a horrible loud grating / rasping which sounds
like the starter has failed to engage properly with the gearing on the
flywheel.

A second key-turn immediately starts the car and away we go.

Is the gearing non-engagement a correct analysis?

yes.

Is this a garage job?

Not neceessarily
Any simply fix?

In my expereince there are three possible causes.

1/. The starter motor is actually loose.
2/. It's not getting enough power - check battery voltage and/or loose
connections. worn brushes also cause this.

3/. The inertia pinion is semi corroded and gunked up, in which case a
spray of silicone oil will fix if you can get to the pinion.

However most of these require you to at least get to the bolts and wires
to check: if thats beyond you its a garage job. And they will probably
simply sling in a reconditioned motor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
muymalestado wrote:
In 1999 Honda Civic 1300 (UK): About every fourth or every third start
the key-turn produces a horrible loud grating / rasping which sounds
like the starter has failed to engage properly with the gearing on the
flywheel.

A second key-turn immediately starts the car and away we go.

Is the gearing non-engagement a correct analysis?

Is this a garage job?

Any simply fix?

There are two basic types of starter motor drive - inertia and
pre-engage. The first simply throws the pinion down a thread when the
motor starts turning to engage the drive - rather crude. They can stick
due to dirt etc and cleaning it may work.

The second type uses a solenoid to pull the pinion in place - identified
by what looks like a smaller motor piggy backed onto the main one. Those
can also stick - although cleaning them can be more tricky.

Cleaning either really means removing the motor - and this job varies from
dead simple to pretty complicated according to model.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
muymalestado wrote:
[...]

Missed the original. I don't know the car, but from the symptoms it'll
be stuck Bendix gear.

Note some pre-engaged models also have Bendix gear. It isn't a classic
pre-engagement solenoid fault, or nothing would happen at all.

Easiest and best fix is a re-conditioned starter motor. Should be
possible for any half-way competent home mechanic, it's a "one spanner"
job in the Haynes manual - which I suggest you get.

Andy