Tony

Default Motor Starter question

I need to get a motor starter for a 15hp air compressor. I plan on running
220v 3phase. My question is, when selecting a motor starter, what voltage
coil should I get to power the contactor? They make 110v and 208~240. If I
get a 110v coil, I would assume I need to run a neutral wire back to the
panel? If I select a 220v coil, then I can just pull 2 leads L1 & L2 to
power the coil?

--
Tony

Visit TonysToolroom for info on Precision Scraping.
***Now with Powerscraping***

Don't skive that belt before you visit my flatbelt page!

http://www.csgnet.net/toolroom/

Spammers Beware : Your entering the No-Spam zone
**** Protected by Mailwasher **** www.mailwasher.net
Caution:Bouncing Spam: Eye protection required!

TSJABS

You do have options, but I would..

Go with the 110 coil, that is the standard that 95% of all industry is using
these days. Years ago it wasen't uncommon to see 208-240v and 480 coils in the
control circuits of motor starters. If the starter you buy doesn't already
have a control transformer to get 110 from your 220v source they are cheap to
buy. Just remember to fuse the transformer.

If you are using second had equiptment you might not have the option of
choosing your voltage and many off brand starters are increasingly becoming
harder to buy parts for. In that case you might have to buy a transformer to
step up or step down your power to whatever your starter coil is rated for.

tim
Paul Batozech

Tony wrote:

I need to get a motor starter for a 15hp air compressor. I plan on running
220v 3phase. My question is, when selecting a motor starter, what voltage
coil should I get to power the contactor? They make 110v and 208~240. If I
get a 110v coil, I would assume I need to run a neutral wire back to the
panel? If I select a 220v coil, then I can just pull 2 leads L1 & L2 to
power the coil?

--
Tony

You could go the control xformer route, but as the only control device
is just a pressure switch and not normally accessed by personnel, just
go with the 220 coil, it's how all the air compressors I'm familiar with
do it.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 02:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 02:49 PM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 05:20 AM