Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3/4 drive sockets for home use and EMT

(rehashing some old rcm topic names)

I used a cheap 3/4 drive socket today for "home" use. Also some EMT. I
need a 1 5/8 DEEEEEEEEEEEP socket to tighten up the drain retention nut on
the drain I put in one of the mini mill enclosures.

Had some el cheapo 3/4 drive sockets from somewhere. Cut one in half and
welded a piece of 2" EMT between the halves. Worked perfectly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
(rehashing some old rcm topic names)

I used a cheap 3/4 drive socket today for "home" use. Also some EMT. I
need a 1 5/8 DEEEEEEEEEEEP socket to tighten up the drain retention nut
on the drain I put in one of the mini mill enclosures.

Had some el cheapo 3/4 drive sockets from somewhere. Cut one in half and
welded a piece of 2" EMT between the halves. Worked perfectly.

Attaboy, Bob!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good trick! There's a couple of sockets that often bottom-out on me.
If I could just remember which ones they are, I'd make deeeep ones.
Otherwise I'll just hope that I remember this trick when I need it.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
(rehashing some old rcm topic names)

I used a cheap 3/4 drive socket today for "home" use. Also some EMT.
I need a 1 5/8 DEEEEEEEEEEEP socket to tighten up the drain
retention nut on the drain I put in one of the mini mill enclosures.

Had some el cheapo 3/4 drive sockets from somewhere. Cut one in half
and welded a piece of 2" EMT between the halves. Worked perfectly.

Attaboy, Bob!

--Winston

Bob isn't the first to come up with that idea , us Harley guys been using
one like that for years to get at the sprocket/front pulley nut on Big Twins
.. Mine's made with a piece of 2" pipe about 3" long . It was a pure bitch
cutting that socket in half on the lathe , burned a couple of HSS cutters
before I figgered out it was tempered steel .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

What then? Grinding disk or a cut off wheel on a dremmel?

(just in case I need to do it one day!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Or anneal in the oven, then back on the lathe?

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
(rehashing some old rcm topic names)

I used a cheap 3/4 drive socket today for "home" use. Also some EMT.
I need a 1 5/8 DEEEEEEEEEEEP socket to tighten up the drain
retention nut on the drain I put in one of the mini mill enclosures.

Had some el cheapo 3/4 drive sockets from somewhere. Cut one in half
and welded a piece of 2" EMT between the halves. Worked perfectly.

Attaboy, Bob!

--Winston

Bob isn't the first to come up with that idea , us Harley guys been using
one like that for years to get at the sprocket/front pulley nut on Big
Twins . Mine's made with a piece of 2" pipe about 3" long . It was a pure
bitch cutting that socket in half on the lathe , burned a couple of HSS
cutters before I figgered out it was tempered steel .

Actually I did it years ago to do the clutch on my Electra Glide. Still
have that socket too, and use it from time to time. That socket I used a
piece of rigid conduit for the extension. I cut them in half on the chop
saw. I was just posting a play on past group topics.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/24/2011 7:28 AM, Winston wrote:
Dennis wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Fiber blade chop saw works pretty good. The cut is not perfect, but if
you orient the pieces on your extension tube the same its works out well
enough. In this case I threw it on the no name Chinese mill/drill mill
and squared off the cut end before welding in the extensions tube.

I imagine a slow cut saw with a tounrey blade might be better, but I
don't have one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Thanks - its a good idea to get out of a bind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I just slowed the lathe way down and switched to an M42 cutter . Turned
out it was just a bit harder than the "normalized" 4140 I use for stuff I
make for Harley suspensions , and the heat from cutting too fast was causing
it to harden more . Lesson learned !

--
Snag
Learning keeps