Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default 3/4 drive sockets for home use and EMT

Dennis wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 3/24/2011 7:28 AM, Winston wrote:
Dennis wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
(rehashing some old rcm topic names)

I used a cheap 3/4 drive socket today for "home" use. Also some
EMT. I need a 1 5/8 DEEEEEEEEEEEP socket to tighten up the drain
retention nut on the drain I put in one of the mini mill
enclosures. Had some el cheapo 3/4 drive sockets from somewhere. Cut
one in
half and welded a piece of 2" EMT between the halves. Worked
perfectly.

Attaboy, Bob!

--Winston

Bob isn't the first to come up with that idea , us Harley guys
been using
one like that for years to get at the sprocket/front pulley nut
on Big Twins . Mine's made with a piece of 2" pipe about 3" long
. It was a pure
bitch cutting that socket in half on the lathe , burned a couple
of HSS cutters before I figgered out it was tempered steel .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

What then? Grinding disk or a cut off wheel on a dremmel?

(just in case I need to do it one day!)

Or anneal in the oven, then back on the lathe?

--Winston

Fiber blade chop saw works pretty good. The cut is not perfect, but
if you orient the pieces on your extension tube the same its works
out well enough. In this case I threw it on the no name Chinese
mill/drill mill and squared off the cut end before welding in the
extensions tube. I imagine a slow cut saw with a tounrey blade might be
better, but I
don't have one.

Thanks - its a good idea to get out of a bind.

I just slowed the lathe way down and switched to an M42 cutter . Turned
out it was just a bit harder than the "normalized" 4140 I use for stuff I
make for Harley suspensions , and the heat from cutting too fast was causing
it to harden more . Lesson learned !

--
Snag
Learning keeps