Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default 3/4 drive sockets for home use and EMT

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 3/24/2011 7:28 AM, Winston wrote:
Dennis wrote:
wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
(rehashing some old rcm topic names)

I used a cheap 3/4 drive socket today for "home" use. Also some EMT.
I need a 1 5/8 DEEEEEEEEEEEP socket to tighten up the drain
retention nut on the drain I put in one of the mini mill enclosures.

Had some el cheapo 3/4 drive sockets from somewhere. Cut one in half
and welded a piece of 2" EMT between the halves. Worked perfectly.

Attaboy, Bob!

--Winston

Bob isn't the first to come up with that idea , us Harley guys been
using
one like that for years to get at the sprocket/front pulley nut on Big
Twins . Mine's made with a piece of 2" pipe about 3" long . It was a
pure
bitch cutting that socket in half on the lathe , burned a couple of HSS
cutters before I figgered out it was tempered steel .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

What then? Grinding disk or a cut off wheel on a dremmel?

(just in case I need to do it one day!)

Or anneal in the oven, then back on the lathe?

--Winston

Fiber blade chop saw works pretty good. The cut is not perfect, but if
you orient the pieces on your extension tube the same its works out well
enough. In this case I threw it on the no name Chinese mill/drill mill
and squared off the cut end before welding in the extensions tube.

I imagine a slow cut saw with a tounrey blade might be better, but I don't
have one.

Thanks - its a good idea to get out of a bind.