Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made a Turner's cube

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4120" wrote in message
It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That is really, really cool. I also like the 'demo samples' the rapid
prototyping guys have on their stands at exhibitions. Spheres within cubes
within ellipsoids etc....

JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, JB wrote:

"Ignoramus4120" wrote in message
It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That is really, really cool. I also like the 'demo samples' the rapid
prototyping guys have on their stands at exhibitions. Spheres within cubes
within ellipsoids etc....

I saw some cool examples too.

The code to do it, is actually a recursive G code function (which is
understandable, since the shapes are recursively nested).

(Makes a turner's cube. See projects.txt for formulas).

Oturners_cube sub
#xc = #1 (X Center)
#yc = #2 (Y Center)
#z = #3 (Current Z)
#size = #4 (Side)
#milld = #5 (Mill Diameter)
#k1 = #6
#k2 = #7

#R = [#k1 * #size/2]

Oif if [ #R gt #milld]
G0 X#xc Y#yc
Owithdraw call [#z + 0.01]
#d = [ [#x/2 - #R] + #k2*#R*[1 - 1/sqrt[ 2 ]]]

Odeepcylindricalpocket call [#xc] [#yc] [#z + 0.01] [#z - #d] [#R] [#milld]

#X1 = [#size - 2*#d]

Oturners_cube call [#xc] [#yc] [#z - #d] [#X1] [#milld] [#k1] [#k2]
Oif endif

G0 X#xc Y#yc
Owithdraw call [#z + 0.01]
Oturners_cube endsub

M2
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and
machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense.

It would also greatly add to the fixturing precision that is required.

I was thinking, to try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and
machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.

Add to that, probably use custom soft jaws in the small vice on the 4th
axis in order to properly locate the part. Also probably machine in AL,
polish in a tumbler and anodize for sale.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...tml#post411565
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and
machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.

I think that clamping this is to rotary table do difficult, that flipping the part
over 6 times is easier.

If I wanted to make quantities, I would machine three cubes at a time,
setting three in a row in a vise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and
machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.

Add to that, probably use custom soft jaws in the small vice on the 4th
axis in order to properly locate the part. Also probably machine in AL,
polish in a tumbler and anodize for sale.

Oh, yes, I realize that I have a question. How can I make this cube
beautiful, as in, remove manufacturers marks on the aluminum,. etc?

Tumbling? In what?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I wanted to make quantities, I would machine three cubes at a time,
setting three in a row in a vise.

FWIW, three is a vice is asking for trouble. One will be loose. Four
in a vice - OK. multiple vices - OK.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I'm going to guess w/o reading the rest of the thread first, you did it on your mill?

You are having way too much fun

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

[...]

I'd look at the large vibratory polisher / tumbler that HF sells (on
sale now). It looks like it should be large enough to handle 2" cubes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-v...ose-96923.html

I have the smaller version that I picked up for cleaning / polishing
brass for reloading, but I haven't got around to using it yet. It looks
decent enough at any rate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html

They also carry some assorted media for the tumblers, and of course you
can get media from a lot of other places as well.

Polishing is the first step of course, after that you need some sort of
finish to protect from rust or oxidation. There are a lot of options
depending on what material you are making the parts from, look at the
Caswell site for various ideas.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and
machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.

I think that clamping this is to rotary table do difficult, that flipping the part
over 6 times is easier.

If I wanted to make quantities, I would machine three cubes at a time,
setting three in a row in a vise.

Clamping on the RT shouldn't be that difficult really.

If you want production, clearly you'll need to make a custom fixture to
hold six or eight cubes, with air over hydraulic clamping, and a parts
handling robot to flip the cubes around for you while you watch on the
webcam from your office

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4120 fired this volley in
:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...rJdxO3bjAhN7B4
2H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink

Ig, it's pretty, as far as you went. But why didn't you complete it?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

Oh, yes, I realize that I have a question. How can I make this cube
beautiful, as in, remove manufacturers marks on the aluminum,. etc?

Bead blasting will give it a matte finish.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

Oh, yes, I realize that I have a question. How can I make this cube
beautiful, as in, remove manufacturers marks on the aluminum,. etc?

Tumbling? In what?

Did I say beadblast?
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...Soma-parts.jpg

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I'm going to guess w/o reading the rest of the thread first, you did it on your mill?

You are having way too much fun

Yes, on the mill. I have a bunch of relatives visiting right now, they
all decided that they want a cube like this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 06:52:46 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

Oh, yes, I realize that I have a question. How can I make this cube
beautiful, as in, remove manufacturers marks on the aluminum,. etc?

Tumbling? In what?

Did I say beadblast?
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...Soma-parts.jpg

That doesn't look anything like Huxley's brave new drug, Soma.

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-19, Pete wrote:

On 2011-03-19, Pete wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

[...]

I had the Dillon vibratory polisher.
I bought it to deburr aluminum workpieces.
It was *way too* gentle for that. It took hours to make very little
visible progress. Prolly just fine for putting the final polish
on brass, though.

Next time, I will go with a real tumbler.
Prolly get an old wood lathe and modify to suit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGB_g7Dxlo

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:30:53 -0700, Winston
wrote:

I had the Dillon vibratory polisher.
I bought it to deburr aluminum workpieces.
It was *way too* gentle for that. It took hours to make very little
visible progress. Prolly just fine for putting the final polish
on brass, though.

Next time, I will go with a real tumbler.

I don't do tumbling, but everything I've read says that vibratory
tumblers work more quickly than rotaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-aHXBDO30&NR=1
This big guy seems to work more quicky.

Prolly get an old wood lathe and modify to suit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGB_g7Dxlo

Um, that's not a wood lathe and I'll bet he goes through 5gal buckets
several times before he has to change media in that thing.

Can't beat the price. I got my old wood lathe and two 1/3hp motors
for $20 at a tailgate sale in Sandy Eggo.

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I had the Dillon vibratory polisher.
I bought it to deburr aluminum workpieces.
It was *way too* gentle for that. It took hours to make very little
visible progress. Prolly just fine for putting the final polish
on brass, though.

Next time, I will go with a real tumbler.

I don't do tumbling, but everything I've read says that vibratory
tumblers work more quickly than rotaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-aHXBDO30&NR=1
This big guy seems to work more quicky.

Here's the actual cleaner. It is *dry use* only.
There is a tiny size and capability difference, IMHO.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...y_Case_Cleaner

Prolly get an old wood lathe and modify to suit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGB_g7Dxlo

Um, that's not a wood lathe

* Built pretty stoutly,
* Says 'Logan' on the headstock,
* Has a compound instead of a tool rest,
* Capable of crawling along at ~50 RPM

You might be right, Larry.

...and I'll bet he goes through 5gal buckets
several times before he has to change media in that thing.

That HDPE is pretty stout stuff.

Can't beat the price. I got my old wood lathe and two 1/3hp motors
for $20 at a tailgate sale in Sandy Eggo.

Now that sounds promising!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28184 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I'm going to guess w/o reading the rest of the thread first, you did it on your mill?

You are having way too much fun

Yes, on the mill. I have a bunch of relatives visiting right now, they
all decided that they want a cube like this.

Sounds like you have a bunch of blocks to square. Do you have a relative or two you can
trust to help out?

That was time consuming just to model one in Alibre.
http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...urnerscube.pdf (3d pdf)

I've finally found a good use for some cerrocast I have if I ever get the jones to make
one. http://www.hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_002.htm

That way I could have flat interior faces and not worry about all hell breaking loose

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes fired this volley in
:

Sounds like you have a bunch of blocks to square. Do you have a
relative or two you can trust to help out?

Not really. The squaring of the block (for the first re-mount) can be done
as part of the machining of the first face. After that, it's just turn,
locate, and machine again. (done it).

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Wes fired this volley in
:

Sounds like you have a bunch of blocks to square. Do you have a
relative or two you can trust to help out?

Not really. The squaring of the block (for the first re-mount) can be done
as part of the machining of the first face. After that, it's just turn,
locate, and machine again. (done it).

This is exactly what I do, I have a part of a program that makes the
first face, that I comment out after the first one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Are there "official" dimensions for the sizes of the inner cubes, or would
some kind of scaling algorithm count? (you know, like each inner cube 0.8x
or 0.9x the size of its "parent?") I kind of have nothing but spare
time these days, and I'd _love_ to at least draw one up on my borrowed
AutoCad, and might even get permission from Joe the Machinist (Yes, I
actually have a coworker named Joe, who is a real live machinist) to
use the lathe and mill in the shop to try to make one on my own. It'd
also be really interesting to just draw one up in my spare time and ask
him if he'd like to estimate it. ;-)

Is the defining attribute to qualify as a "Turner's cube" simply the
fact that it's cubes within cubes with thru-holes?

Google is my friend, but won't tell me what dimensions qualify it as
"Turner's" - my first thought would be to use some kind of geometric
ratio from cube to cube, rather than fixed intervals, but how do I
find that out?

Or is it primarily an exercise in CNC programming, as opposed to doing
it "by hand," as it were?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise fired this volley in news:im6728
:

Is the defining attribute to qualify as a "Turner's cube" simply the
fact that it's cubes within cubes with thru-holes?

No, it's that the multiple cubes within cubes be free from one-another,
and that their peripheries (inside and out) be square and not round.
That was why I asked Ig why he had not completed it...

Or is it primarily an exercise in CNC programming, as opposed to doing
it "by hand," as it were?

The ultimate skill is to do it by hand. CAD and CAM make projects like
this overly simple. It only takes an hour or so to design one in a decent
CAM system, even if you don't have any CAD software available.

There once was a time when a turner's cube was a rite of passage for new
machinists learing their trades (not unlike spending a year at a filing
bench!)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in news:im6728

Is the defining attribute to qualify as a "Turner's cube" simply the
fact that it's cubes within cubes with thru-holes?

No, it's that the multiple cubes within cubes be free from one-another,
and that their peripheries (inside and out) be square and not round.
That was why I asked Ig why he had not completed it...

Or is it primarily an exercise in CNC programming, as opposed to doing
it "by hand," as it were?

The ultimate skill is to do it by hand. CAD and CAM make projects like
this overly simple. It only takes an hour or so to design one in a decent
CAM system, even if you don't have any CAD software available.

There once was a time when a turner's cube was a rite of passage for new
machinists learing their trades (not unlike spending a year at a filing
bench!)

Well, don't let me dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back,
but I _could_ draw something like that up on paper, tedious as it
may be. It's just that using the CAD software is so much more fun!

And I still don't know if there are any "official" dimensions, or if
I'm allowed to just make them up. :-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Rich Grise fired this volley in news:im6728
:

Is the defining attribute to qualify as a "Turner's cube" simply the
fact that it's cubes within cubes with thru-holes?

No, it's that the multiple cubes within cubes be free from one-another,

You mean they could be twirled around inside the outer cube, like that
Boy Scout whittling project with the ball in the cage?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in news:im6728
:

Is the defining attribute to qualify as a "Turner's cube" simply the
fact that it's cubes within cubes with thru-holes?

No, it's that the multiple cubes within cubes be free from one-another,
and that their peripheries (inside and out) be square and not round.
That was why I asked Ig why he had not completed it...

Now I know what you meant. I was wondering.

Or is it primarily an exercise in CNC programming, as opposed to doing
it "by hand," as it were?

The ultimate skill is to do it by hand. CAD and CAM make projects like
this overly simple. It only takes an hour or so to design one in a decent
CAM system, even if you don't have any CAD software available.

I did it in straight G code subroutines.

Here it is .

(Makes a turner's cube. See projects.txt for formulas).

Oturners_cube sub
#xc = #1 (X Center)
#yc = #2 (Y Center)
#z = #3 (Current Z)
#size = #4 (Side)
#milld = #5 (Mill Diameter)
#k1 = #6
#k2 = #7

#R = [#k1 * #size/2]

Oif if [ #R gt #milld]
G0 X#xc Y#yc
Owithdraw call [#z + 0.01]
#d = [ [#size/2 - #R] + #k2*#R*[1 - 1/sqrt[ 2 ]]]

Odeepcylindricalpocket call [#xc] [#yc] [#z + 0.01] [#z - #d] [#R] [#milld]

#X1 = [#size - 2*#d]

Oturners_cube call [#xc] [#yc] [#z - #d] [#X1] [#milld] [#k1] [#k2]
Oif endif

G0 X#xc Y#yc
Owithdraw call [#z + 0.01]
Oturners_cube endsub

M2
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28184 wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I'm going to guess w/o reading the rest of the thread first, you did it on your mill?

You are having way too much fun

Yes, on the mill. I have a bunch of relatives visiting right now, they
all decided that they want a cube like this.

Sounds like you have a bunch of blocks to square. Do you have a relative or two you can
trust to help out?

I swuare them right with the turner's cube program, it has an optional
one liner to square the top.

That was time consuming just to model one in Alibre.
http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...urnerscube.pdf (3d pdf)

Very nice. It took me about an hour to write a G code routine to do
that same.

The G code subroutine, takes all parameters, like size of the cube,
end mill diameter, shrinkage coefficients etc and works one side of
the cube.

I've finally found a good use for some cerrocast I have if I ever get the jones to make
one. http://www.hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_002.htm

This looks very interesting indeed.

Want to sell some to me?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, Winston wrote:

I had the Dillon vibratory polisher.
I bought it to deburr aluminum workpieces.
It was *way too* gentle for that. It took hours to make very little
visible progress. Prolly just fine for putting the final polish
on brass, though.

Next time, I will go with a real tumbler.
Prolly get an old wood lathe and modify to suit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGB_g7Dxlo

That was called a poor man's deburring tumbler, but this poor man has
a huge Logan lathe! Very clever, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PeteC, I do have a vibratory tumbler.

I may give it a try, but I afraid to damage the delicate cubes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28184" wrote
in message
PeteC, I do have a vibratory tumbler.

I may give it a try, but I afraid to damage the delicate
cubes.

I:

That will depend entirely on the media you use
and the time you're willing to devote to the
process given the machinery deployed.
But if you need to get deep milling marks out,
you can count on angle sharpness suffering in
the indiscriminacy of the process.

I looked for Turner's cubes on eBay once and
only saw some cheesy plastics. You might
try a metal with an apparent color turn away
from aluminum, say bronze/brass, to gauge
differential customer interest.

A nice historical blurb on the history of the cubes
and their significance in evaluating a machinists
skills would be good alongside some nice
poetic quote about "world's within worlds",
"atoms within mass", "geometric projection", etcetera.
Punchy lines are great but the copywriter's guide is
that interested clients will read all they find interesting.
Your descriptive powers will not have insignificant
result. If you ever read the blurbs accompanying the
"pet rock" phenomenon, there's proof.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28184 fired this volley in
:

This looks very interesting indeed.

Want to sell some to me?

Yep, you'll need some cerrotru or cerrocast to finish a turner's cube. It
gets right fussy near the end, as things start to get wobbly inside the
box. G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28184 wrote:

I've finally found a good use for some cerrocast I have if I ever get the jones to make
one. http://www.hitechalloys.com/hitechalloys_002.htm

This looks very interesting indeed.

Want to sell some to me?

I only have two bars left now. I gave some away earlier.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-20, wrote:

I had the Dillon vibratory polisher.
I bought it to deburr aluminum workpieces.
It was *way too* gentle for that. It took hours to make very little
visible progress. Prolly just fine for putting the final polish
on brass, though.

Next time, I will go with a real tumbler.
Prolly get an old wood lathe and modify to suit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGB_g7Dxlo

That was called a poor man's deburring tumbler, but this poor man has
a huge Logan lathe! Very clever, though.

I have been using a plastic pail as a tumbler for years. I have a big
enough lathe that I can chuck the pail and use the tailstock to hold the
lid in place. A couple of 2x2 slats on the inside of the pail held in
by some sheetrock screws makes the tumbler complete. I use it mainly for
stamped parts that need deburring.

John