Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Made a Turner's cube

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

On 2011-03-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

That's cute. Surely you can get out your tiny end mills and work it down
a few more levels...

That's possible, but would add to the time expense. I was thinking, to
try selling this stuff on ebay.

My work involved here, is to open the vise six times and flip the
cubes in the vise.

Dude, you have a 4th axis, only two vise changes required. Load part and
machine sides 1-4, stop, flip part and machine sides 5 and 6.

Add to that, probably use custom soft jaws in the small vice on the 4th
axis in order to properly locate the part. Also probably machine in AL,
polish in a tumbler and anodize for sale.

Oh, yes, I realize that I have a question. How can I make this cube
beautiful, as in, remove manufacturers marks on the aluminum,. etc?

Tumbling? In what?

I'd look at the large vibratory polisher / tumbler that HF sells (on
sale now). It looks like it should be large enough to handle 2" cubes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-v...ose-96923.html

I have the smaller version that I picked up for cleaning / polishing
brass for reloading, but I haven't got around to using it yet. It looks
decent enough at any rate.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html

They also carry some assorted media for the tumblers, and of course you
can get media from a lot of other places as well.

Polishing is the first step of course, after that you need some sort of
finish to protect from rust or oxidation. There are a lot of options
depending on what material you are making the parts from, look at the
Caswell site for various ideas.