Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Made a Turner's cube

Ignoramus4120 wrote:

It is 2" in size.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Are there "official" dimensions for the sizes of the inner cubes, or would
some kind of scaling algorithm count? (you know, like each inner cube 0.8x
or 0.9x the size of its "parent?") I kind of have nothing but spare
time these days, and I'd _love_ to at least draw one up on my borrowed
AutoCad, and might even get permission from Joe the Machinist (Yes, I
actually have a coworker named Joe, who is a real live machinist) to
use the lathe and mill in the shop to try to make one on my own. It'd
also be really interesting to just draw one up in my spare time and ask
him if he'd like to estimate it. ;-)

Is the defining attribute to qualify as a "Turner's cube" simply the
fact that it's cubes within cubes with thru-holes?

Google is my friend, but won't tell me what dimensions qualify it as
"Turner's" - my first thought would be to use some kind of geometric
ratio from cube to cube, rather than fixed intervals, but how do I
find that out?

Or is it primarily an exercise in CNC programming, as opposed to doing
it "by hand," as it were?

Thanks,
Rich