Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default U joint installation. Is this ring seated?

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. I can see the ring grove and the ring is
there but I am not sure the ring is fuly seated. Is there an easy way
to tell and if it is not seated what could cause it?

I know typically the first answer is a needle bearing. But every time
I have had a needle bearing fall into the cup, you cant even see the
groove the snap ring goes into. Also when I have had a needle fall
into the cup, there is typically a gap between the rubber seal for
that cup and the u joint body. I can say for sure there is no gap in
this area.

The opposite side I installed the snap ring fully into the bore before
pressing the opposite cup into the boar. On the one I know is fully
seated, there is a nice gap between the ends of the pretzel looking
ring. (I would think this indicates the ring is expanded fully into
the groove). On the opposite cup, the ring is almost touching. By
eyballing the depth from the snap ring to the top of the driveshaft it
looks about the same. I may just be anal about this but I want to make
sure it is right. I did drive it down the road about 1/4 of a mile and
there was no noise or problems. I appreciate any help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 8:33*am, stryped wrote:
One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 7:45*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 15, 8:33*am, stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw

Would it be ok to slightly grind the diameter of the ring? I seem to
have tried everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. I can see the ring grove and the ring is
there but I am not sure the ring is fuly seated. Is there an easy way
to tell and if it is not seated what could cause it?

I know typically the first answer is a needle bearing. But every time
I have had a needle bearing fall into the cup, you cant even see the
groove the snap ring goes into. Also when I have had a needle fall
into the cup, there is typically a gap between the rubber seal for
that cup and the u joint body. I can say for sure there is no gap in
this area.

Well its not a loose needle bearing, because as you noted you wouldn't
be anywhere near this close if it was.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal and expected. You put a small
screw driver in the gap on the ring that is not fully seated and give it
a little turn. That will seat the ring and everything is nice and snug.

-jim

The opposite side I installed the snap ring fully into the bore before
pressing the opposite cup into the boar. On the one I know is fully
seated, there is a nice gap between the ends of the pretzel looking
ring. (I would think this indicates the ring is expanded fully into
the groove). On the opposite cup, the ring is almost touching. By
eyballing the depth from the snap ring to the top of the driveshaft it
looks about the same. I may just be anal about this but I want to make
sure it is right. I did drive it down the road about 1/4 of a mile and
there was no noise or problems. I appreciate any help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 11:23*am, stryped wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:45*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:33*am, stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw

Would it be ok to slightly grind the diameter of the ring? I seem to
have tried everything.

Scrape the groove clean and remove any burrs on the edge.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 6:33*am, stryped wrote:
[...]

Sometimes the stiff cup seals keep things from seating fully. Put the
ring in on the one side, press the cup in for the other side, install
the snap ring, get a suitable socket for a driver and the rawhide
mallet and give it a swat. Works every time. That assumes you've
cleaned out the road dirt and other crud beforehand. This done BEFORE
you stick the driveshaft in, pounding on it in the vehicle doesn't
help bearings and such.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , stryped wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:45=A0am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 15, 8:33=A0am, stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw

Would it be ok to slightly grind the diameter of the ring?

No, it would *not* be ok. What are you thinking? Those things are the size
they are for a reason. If it's not seated all the way, well, there's a reason
for that, too. You need to find that reason, whether it's misalignment,
incorrect parts, foreign matter in the ring seat, improper installation, or
whatever, and *fix* it.

I seem to have tried everything.

Everything you can think of, that is. Think of some more things. Or maybe
you're just mistaken about it not being fully seated. I don't know -- I can't
see it from here. Try posting some pics somewhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 05:33:46 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

[...]

If the ring is not seated, it's not seated. If the gap is not the
same as on the one you know is seated, it's not seated - and it WILL
come out some day. I generally use a big brass hammer or a dead-blow
to whack the joint all the way to the side with the known properly
seated ring, then using a vice and a spacer (usually the old cup) I
press the second cup in as far as it will go. If the ring will not
seat, you LIKELY have a compressed yoke and you need to spread it so
the clip will fit.

No fun losing the rear U-Joint at 70 MPH in an Aerostar, (on the
friday of a long weekend a thousand miles from home) as both my
daughter and I can attest to. I had both joints replaced by local
garage while I was out of the country because I knew I had to go from
Waterloo to Winnipeg a few days after I got home from Africa.
The mechanic was not as fussy as I am. Perhaps he will be next time.

I got to replace the joint lying on my back in a parking lot without
all the proper tools, and I STILL got it right. Vice on chest to
squeeze everything together.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:52:16 -0500, jim
wrote:

stryped wrote:

[...]

I have seen a joint go together with a needle bearing across the end
of the trunion and still get that snap-ring "almost" in..

As close as the OP indicates his is. Some trunnions have a slot across
the end - and the needle was nicely squashed into that groove.

It didn't last long.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCDA...eature=related

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 15, 11:00*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 15, 11:23*am, stryped wrote:

On Mar 15, 7:45*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:33*am, stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw

Would it be ok to slightly grind the diameter of the ring? I seem to
have tried everything.

Scrape the groove clean and remove any burrs on the edge.

jsw

Update:

Just for kicks I measured the old clips and new ones. an old clip was .
056 thick. New ones were .059. Times two this would be .003. Could
this cause the problem I am having?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 16, 10:51*am, stryped wrote:
On Mar 15, 11:00*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Update:

Just for kicks I measured the old clips and new ones. an old clip was .
056 thick. New ones were .059. Times two this would be .003. Could
this cause the problem I am having?-

You could take it back apart and measure the distance between the
installed snap rings and also across the spider + cups.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

stryped wrote:

On Mar 15, 11:00 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 15, 11:23 am, stryped wrote:

On Mar 15, 7:45 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 15, 8:33 am, stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw

Would it be ok to slightly grind the diameter of the ring? I seem to
have tried everything.

Scrape the groove clean and remove any burrs on the edge.

jsw

Update:

Just for kicks I measured the old clips and new ones. an old clip was .
056 thick. New ones were .059. Times two this would be .003. Could
this cause the problem I am having?

I'm a bit skeptical of your measurements.

But only you can answer your question. If the old clips fit nicely and
the new clips don't then yes that is the cause.

-jim