Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default U joint installation. Is this ring seated?

In article , stryped wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:45=A0am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Mar 15, 8:33=A0am, stryped wrote:

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. ...

Use a small drill bit as a gage to compare the visible height of the
rings or the end gaps.

jsw

Would it be ok to slightly grind the diameter of the ring?

No, it would *not* be ok. What are you thinking? Those things are the size
they are for a reason. If it's not seated all the way, well, there's a reason
for that, too. You need to find that reason, whether it's misalignment,
incorrect parts, foreign matter in the ring seat, improper installation, or
whatever, and *fix* it.

I seem to have tried everything.

Everything you can think of, that is. Think of some more things. Or maybe
you're just mistaken about it not being fully seated. I don't know -- I can't
see it from here. Try posting some pics somewhere.