Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default U joint installation. Is this ring seated?

One more question. I have installed a u joint. I am not sure one side
snap ring is fully seated. I can see the ring grove and the ring is
there but I am not sure the ring is fuly seated. Is there an easy way
to tell and if it is not seated what could cause it?

I know typically the first answer is a needle bearing. But every time
I have had a needle bearing fall into the cup, you cant even see the
groove the snap ring goes into. Also when I have had a needle fall
into the cup, there is typically a gap between the rubber seal for
that cup and the u joint body. I can say for sure there is no gap in
this area.

The opposite side I installed the snap ring fully into the bore before
pressing the opposite cup into the boar. On the one I know is fully
seated, there is a nice gap between the ends of the pretzel looking
ring. (I would think this indicates the ring is expanded fully into
the groove). On the opposite cup, the ring is almost touching. By
eyballing the depth from the snap ring to the top of the driveshaft it
looks about the same. I may just be anal about this but I want to make
sure it is right. I did drive it down the road about 1/4 of a mile and
there was no noise or problems. I appreciate any help.