DanG

Default How do you tell if a toilet is properly seated

If it is showing water anywhere at the base, it is not properly
sealed. It is not rare to need 2 wax rings. I usually buy the
one with the plastic sleeve and one plain one. If the floor
flange is at or below the floor level, I start right out with 2.
If it is slightly above the floor level, I try it with 1.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I had to take out the toilet in one of my bathroomw so that we

could
wallpaper the wall behind it. When I replaced it, I put a new

seal.
Lately, I have noticed that the grout in the ceramic floor is

getting
damp and spreading away from the toilet. There is also what

appears to
be a stain on the floor at the back. I am assuming that the

toilet is
not properly sealed to the drain. I don't recall if I just used

one of
the rings made just of beeswax or one with a plactic ring and

beeswax.
How do I know when it is correctly sealed? There are no

apparent cracks
in the toilet itself.

Any suggestions?
Take out the trash to reply

RB

Ah, beeswax. Those were the good old days. Now it comes from an oil
well unless you have a hive in your pasture.

I'm looking at Fernco's toilet seal for a new bath I'm putting in. It
looks like the best solution and HD carries Fernco.

http://www.fernco.com/FTS.html

RB

Ultraglide wrote:
I had to take out the toilet in one of my bathroomw so that we could
wallpaper the wall behind it. When I replaced it, I put a new seal.
Lately, I have noticed that the grout in the ceramic floor is getting
damp and spreading away from the toilet. There is also what appears to
be a stain on the floor at the back. I am assuming that the toilet is
not properly sealed to the drain. I don't recall if I just used one of
the rings made just of beeswax or one with a plactic ring and beeswax.
How do I know when it is correctly sealed? There are no apparent cracks
in the toilet itself.

Any suggestions?
Take out the trash to reply

Adiabatic

The top of the flange should be level (or near to) with the finished
floor. If it is lower then get a spacer ring that goes between the
flange and the sealant ring.