DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you tell if a toilet is properly seated (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/59036-re-how-do-you-tell-if-toilet-properly-seated.html)

DanG June 19th 04 10:48 PM

How do you tell if a toilet is properly seated

If it is showing water anywhere at the base, it is not properly
sealed. It is not rare to need 2 wax rings. I usually buy the
one with the plastic sleeve and one plain one. If the floor
flange is at or below the floor level, I start right out with 2.
If it is slightly above the floor level, I try it with 1.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I had to take out the toilet in one of my bathroomw so that we

could
wallpaper the wall behind it. When I replaced it, I put a new

seal.
Lately, I have noticed that the grout in the ceramic floor is

getting
damp and spreading away from the toilet. There is also what

appears to
be a stain on the floor at the back. I am assuming that the

toilet is
not properly sealed to the drain. I don't recall if I just used

one of
the rings made just of beeswax or one with a plactic ring and

beeswax.
How do I know when it is correctly sealed? There are no

apparent cracks
in the toilet itself.

Any suggestions?
Take out the trash to reply

RB June 20th 04 01:49 AM

How do you tell if a toilet is properly seated

Ah, beeswax. Those were the good old days. Now it comes from an oil
well unless you have a hive in your pasture.

I'm looking at Fernco's toilet seal for a new bath I'm putting in. It
looks like the best solution and HD carries Fernco.

http://www.fernco.com/FTS.html

RB

Adiabatic June 22nd 04 01:44 PM

How do you tell if a toilet is properly seated

The top of the flange should be level (or near to) with the finished
floor. If it is lower then get a spacer ring that goes between the
flange and the sealant ring.