Linda W.

Default Question about New Kohler Toilet ...

Hello ...

I hope you don't mind a follow-up to my saga about the cracks in my
toilet. :-)

I have purchased a new Kohler toilet (Wellworth) and had it installed
Wednesay morning by a plumber.

The toilet has the 1.6 (gallons?) capacity. I believe my old one had
a 3.5 (gallons?) capacity.

I've noticed that the water in the new toilet does not fill up the
bowl as fully as the old one did. The old toilet bowl filled up
considerably more with water, so that the water level was higher in
the bowl.

The new toilet bowl has a considerably lower water level and does not
seem to get as much water filled into the bowl after flushing.

Is this what it should be doing? Is this a result of the 1.6
(gallon?) capacity in the new toilet?

Or is there something I should do to increase the amount of water?

Many thanks for any advice.

Linda W.
Joe Bobst

The new toilet bowl has a considerably lower water level and does not seem
to get as much water filled into the bowl after flushing.

If the unit works, don't worry about it. The Kohler engineers have a fine track
record of success. Smile when you get your next water bill, it ought to be
noticeably lower. Enjoy.

Joe

Don't kinow when they were introduced but we bought about the time of
1.6GPF mandate. Were doing 2 bathroom redo and timing fit. HD had
DoD plumber employee with super endurance that ran up stocking ladders
after working day job and yanked boxes onto shoulder and ran down, oh
you wanted info on toilet. Works well, only problems are when we
cause them.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:03:24 -0500, "Tony"
wrote:

Hi, could you tell me about the new Kohler toilet?

wrote in message
.. .
We bought 3 of the Wellworth models and find thye work well. Our
daughter threw a paper towel in one after cleaning up dogs stomach
upchuck, toilet didn't like that. If the flushing action looks like
it's backing up keep the handle down and let more water into the bowl,
the extra weight typically does it.

On 5 Mar 2004 04:57:40 -0800, (Linda W.) wrote:

[...]

Joseph Meehan

Linda W. wrote:
[...]

What you are reporting sounds normal to me.

Since this may be your first low flush toilet I will make a couple of
comments.

First, most (all?) offer two kinds of flush. Normal and Extra. Hold
down the handle a little longer for a stronger flush.

Many if not all have some adjustment capability. If everything seems to
be working for you (after reading the first comment) leave well enough
alone. If you are experiencing some problems then come back and ask for
help.

Most of the current models are at least OK many are very good. Some of
the early low volume flush toilets were not all that good.

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Smile when you get your next water bill, it ought to be
noticeably lower. Enjoy.

Joe

Assuming it works well. If you are just taking a leak, the low flush is
fine and save water. If you are taking a dump, it is often necessary to hit
the handle two or even three times for a proper flush and that way it
actually takes more water per use.
Ed

Joseph Meehan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Smile when you get your next water bill, it ought to be
noticeably lower. Enjoy.

Joe

Assuming it works well. If you are just taking a leak, the low
flush is fine and save water. If you are taking a dump, it is often
necessary to hit the handle two or even three times for a proper
flush and that way it actually takes more water per use.
Ed

For most models the procedure is to hold the handle down an extra couple
of seconds and that will still use less water. The better models (more
expensive does not mean better) seldom need the help.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Alan

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:35:01 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Smile when you get your next water bill, it ought to be
noticeably lower. Enjoy.

Joe

Assuming it works well. If you are just taking a leak, the low flush is
fine and save water. If you are taking a dump, it is often necessary to hit
the handle two or even three times for a proper flush and that way it
actually takes more water per use.
Ed

Not in my experience. Flushing more than once is never required.
Water bills have definitely been lower since I installed the Kohler
Wellworth.
Kai Seymour

Linda W. wrote:

[...]

Both our Kohler & a Borg no-name 1.6gals have shallower levels in the
bowl but generally flush fine (neither have the dual mode flush). At
the risk of being indelicate, if feel like you might, um, beach a whale,
(bran muffin for breakfast), I suggest before making your deposit, flush
it once to "lubricate" the bowl. Yah it may seem to defeat the intent
of a low-flush toilet, but this is not an every time technique so you
still use less water over all.

Believe it or not, this topic still gets the occasional mathematician
who rants about having to use more water flushing a 1.6 twice than their
old 5 gal once.

Linda W.

Kai Seymour wrote in message thlink.net...
Linda W. wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip! :-) (Good grief. The things one discusses,
huh?)

Anyway -- I think it is more of a visual thing than anything else.
I'm just used to seeing more water in the bowl. But I'm starting to
get used to the visual of the lower water level.

I also miss the blue water. I had been using those tank drop-ins in
my other toilet that make the water blue, but the Kohler has a sticker
in the tank that says using those invaliates the warranty and can
cause damage. I telephoned Kohler customer service, and they said
that this is indeed the case, and that the drop-ins can cause damage
to the rubber parts.

I hadn't noticed any problem with this in my old toilet, but figured I
shouldn't use them in the Kohler just in case. (So I wasted $2.00, as
I'd already dropped in one of the blue disks when I noticed the
sticker. So I removed the blue disk and threw both that one and the
other one in the package away.)

The customer service woman said I could use the kind that clip onto
the rim of the bowl. So I purchased on of those. But it doesn't make
the water blue.

Oh, well. I'll just have to get used to not having the blue water.
:-)

Thanks again ...

Linda W.
jim

Linda W. wrote:

[...]

dont know if this will work or not, but try easting blueberries and see
if the water turns blue?????