Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Hi Res Photos of Earthquake Damage in Japan

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25.
At least it wasn't a nuclear one.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:13:00 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:33:14 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25.
At least it wasn't a nuclear one.

Hey, I lived downwind from SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generation
Station) for 35 years. It's right on the beach in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ono...rating_Station
They probably got a few waves today.
shrug

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

The paving machine was 1/2 as wide as the road and made a seam
down the middle?

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

A pilot friend of mine tells me that in an event like that nothing in
the air is allowed to land (unless there is insufficient fuel on board)
and anything on the ground is sent up asap. However this still doesn't
explain how all the planes on the ground at the time escaped damage
(if they all indeed did). He flies cargo out of Miami FL and prior to a
hurricane everything is sent well out of reach of it.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Artemus wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25.
At least it wasn't a nuclear one.

I was up watching the thing unfold on the TeeVee last night and the
announcer kept emphasizing that none of their nuclear plants suffered
any damage at all.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:33:14 -0800, "Artemus"
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25.
At least it wasn't a nuclear one.

Hey, I lived downwind from SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generation
Station) for 35 years. It's right on the beach in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ono...rating_Station
They probably got a few waves today.
shrug

I once saw a video of a boneyard airplane being catapulted into one
of those containment vessels, and the airplane sort of splashed and
left an airplane-shaped stain on the surface of the concrete. They're
built to contain a whole meltdown - one of those could probably survive
going off a cliff in a landslide and not leak.

But, there's no getting through the paranoia of the NIMBYs. They're a
lot like the warmingists, that way.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:13:00 -0800, Jim Stewart
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

I'm guessing it's because it was a subduction fault.

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

They pour them in two pieces, and that's where the seam was.

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

Maybe they'd been washed away? I have no real guesses on this one.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 11, 11:13*am, Jim Stewart wrote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Check the video on the right of the airport flooding.
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._204250-1.html

A meltdown is possible. Two nuclear plants lost cooling.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...117843738.html

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

The surge of water hitting the shelf and underwater terrain. This causes
them a lot.

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

The way most roads are laid up and paved leaves a main seam down the
center.

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

Any time there is a quake/tremor they try to get anything on the ground
in the air because it's safer that way.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wonder if that was the entire island, or just selected
places? Looks like a lot of work to rebuild. Someday. I'm
guessing that our Community Organizer in Chief will print a
couple trillion dollars to send them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I wonder if that was the entire island, or just selected
places? Looks like a lot of work to rebuild. Someday. I'm
guessing that our Community Organizer in Chief will print a
couple trillion dollars to send them.

The pictures of the major damage have been from more or less one region
of Japan.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:29:03 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

The paving machine was 1/2 as wide as the road and made a seam
down the middle?

Oh, and the earth under it decided to follow suit. I see. Thanks, Art.
;^) How did the road builders find the fault and follow it exactly?

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

A pilot friend of mine tells me that in an event like that nothing in
the air is allowed to land (unless there is insufficient fuel on board)
and anything on the ground is sent up asap. However this still doesn't
explain how all the planes on the ground at the time escaped damage
(if they all indeed did). He flies cargo out of Miami FL and prior to a
hurricane everything is sent well out of reach of it.

I guess everything with enough fuel to go to another airport was sent
off as soon as the quake and tsunami warnings hit. It looked quite
weird, though, didn't it? Did you see the video taken from the
terminal? It looked very slow moving until it got right next to the
camera and you could see it was moving past at 30+ mph.

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/11/2011 10:29 PM, Artemus wrote:

However this still doesn't explain how all the planes on the ground
at the time escaped damage (if they all indeed did).

One picture I saw showed a number of light planes wadded up in a pile of
debris along with cars, IIRC it was from Narita. With staff on hand, and
given the expense of airliners, getting them off the ground would be a
priority. The light planes, the owners probably couldn't get there in
time. In that light, given they didn't have much warning before the
tsunami hit, it's rather amazing they got all the big iron off the ground.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/11/2011 11:50 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

But, there's no getting through the paranoia of the NIMBYs. They're a
lot like the warmingists, that way.

Well there's some NIMBYs saying "Told you so" this morning. I turned on
the TV to catch the explosion of the containment building at one of
those reactors.... They'd been been venting radioactive steam trying to
avert such an explosion.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:53:21 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:13:00 -0800, Jim Stewart
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

I'm guessing it's because it was a subduction fault.

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

They pour them in two pieces, and that's where the seam was.

Oh, please! Did you see the pictures, Rich? One side of the street
dropped 8' in a curving line exactly in the middle of the middle line.
It wasn't just a split, it was a vertical shear, clean and neat.
It's picture 21 in the series of 48.
http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03...its-japan/#/20

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

The surge of water hitting the shelf and underwater terrain. This causes
them a lot.

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

The way most roads are laid up and paved leaves a main seam down the
center.

See my reply to Rich, look at the referenced pic, and tell me if you
still have that answer. :/

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Crack down to the subduction zone where magma will turn it to steam
and thus they get a new volcano on top of it.

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

I took a second look at that, looks like new fill across a ravine.
Maybe cracked there at the cold joint of the two fused asphalt and
kinda like two band aids held at their ends and parallel and the
resonation influenced the liquefied fill and split down hill of the
ravine.

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

Took a double take of that picture of the cars and planes mixed like
toys. I'd love to see the damage to the lower parts of the small
private planes, that would be interesting.

Ever felt an earth quake? I felt the one in Hell Eh when the bridges
smushed all those people. Was kinda like the wakes of boats when your
swimming. NO, that was the second one, never mind. They seem unique
from each other.

Wait till something slams into an ocean and it will clean out the
whole area and go half way up all the mountains in the distance.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Especially after they watch the video of the one in Japan blowing up. Those
people are Soooooo paranoid.

Too bad thay can't withstand power outages.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Artemus wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25.
At least it wasn't a nuclear one.

I was up watching the thing unfold on the TeeVee last night and the
announcer kept emphasizing that none of their nuclear plants suffered
any damage at all.

As usual, you can never trust what the power companies tell you, as we see
today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Water flowing on one side of a otherwise enclosed body of water. It happens
along the sides of rivers all the time, where the river turns or has opening
along the side.
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

They pour them in two pieces, and that's where the seam was.

Oh, please! Did you see the pictures, Rich? One side of the street
dropped 8' in a curving line exactly in the middle of the middle line.
It wasn't just a split, it was a vertical shear, clean and neat.
It's picture 21 in the series of 48.

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03...its-japan/#/20

Yes, I saw the picture. It split on the seam because that's where the
seam was; the roadbed was just dirt, after all, which didn't really
care where the split was.

Of course, if you have another explanation, please be so kind as to
enlighten us. :-)

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

The way most roads are laid up and paved leaves a main seam down the
center.

See my reply to Rich, look at the referenced pic, and tell me if you
still have that answer. :/

Well, I'm going to stick with mine until you come up with a better one,
rather than just naysaying.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Crack down to the subduction zone where magma will turn it to steam
and thus they get a new volcano on top of it.

Then why a whirlpool instead of a steaming start to a mountain?
NOGO

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

I took a second look at that, looks like new fill across a ravine.
Maybe cracked there at the cold joint of the two fused asphalt and
kinda like two band aids held at their ends and parallel and the
resonation influenced the liquefied fill and split down hill of the
ravine.

The seam in the middle of the road was exactly over the fill, no more
and no less? BZZZZZZT! NOGO

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

Took a double take of that picture of the cars and planes mixed like
toys. I'd love to see the damage to the lower parts of the small
private planes, that would be interesting.

Yeah, the private portion of the airport was hammered, as were all the
parking areas. But there wasn't a single commercial jet on the field
and they showed all those empty terminals, just hangin' out there.
Eerie!

Ever felt an earth quake? I felt the one in Hell Eh when the bridges
smushed all those people. Was kinda like the wakes of boats when your
swimming. NO, that was the second one, never mind. They seem unique
from each other.

I grew up in California. What do you think? (I think the most I've
felt was 4.5, pretty mellow.)

Wait till something slams into an ocean and it will clean out the
whole area and go half way up all the mountains in the distance.

It might build up some heat coming through the atmosphere, too, so
when it hits, it'll boil the first million gallons of sea water it
hits, before making a gigantic tsunami. As it hits the floor of the
ocean, it'll trigger global earthquakes, too. Bye bye mankind!

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:34:07 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/5skdvxb
No radiation release from Japanese nuclear plants: IAEA
By: Agencies Date: 2011-03-12 Place: Vienna

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Crack down to the subduction zone where magma will turn it to steam
and thus they get a new volcano on top of it.

Then why a whirlpool instead of a steaming start to a mountain?
NOGO

Gonna be difficult , how about Lake Peigneur salt mine drain hole?
It will take a while for all that water to heat, wait for it...
Probably eddy currents , wasn't there to see the whole spectacle.

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

I took a second look at that, looks like new fill across a ravine.
Maybe cracked there at the cold joint of the two fused asphalt and
kinda like two band aids held at their ends and parallel and the
resonation influenced the liquefied fill and split down hill of the
ravine.

The seam in the middle of the road was exactly over the fill, no more
and no less? BZZZZZZT! NOGO

Look again, ya can see even the tiny break down lane/foot path and the
road are doing the same thing.

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

Took a double take of that picture of the cars and planes mixed like
toys. I'd love to see the damage to the lower parts of the small
private planes, that would be interesting.

Yeah, the private portion of the airport was hammered, as were all the
parking areas. But there wasn't a single commercial jet on the field
and they showed all those empty terminals, just hangin' out there.
Eerie!

Anyone flying around at the time would have heard a earth quake alert
on their radios and would have been the first to discover it coming
ashore.

Sounds like your dirving at, that it was set up.

Ever felt an earth quake? I felt the one in Hell Eh when the bridges
smushed all those people. Was kinda like the wakes of boats when your
swimming. NO, that was the second one, never mind. They seem unique
from each other.

I grew up in California. What do you think? (I think the most I've
felt was 4.5, pretty mellow.)

Wait till something slams into an ocean and it will clean out the
whole area and go half way up all the mountains in the distance.

It might build up some heat coming through the atmosphere, too, so
when it hits, it'll boil the first million gallons of sea water it
hits, before making a gigantic tsunami. As it hits the floor of the
ocean, it'll trigger global earthquakes, too. Bye bye mankind!

From the books I've been reading a lot are regional.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03...its-japan/#/20

Thanks Larry, that's a great series of pics. My favorite is the one with
the soldier carrying the old man.

I can't help but notice the difference between how the Japanese people are
dealing with this crisis, compared to how the Haitians dealt with theirs.
Or the people in Louisiana, for that matter.

As completely FUBAR as the situation is in Japan, I can't think of a more
resilient and hardworking people than the Japanese.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

I took a second look at that, looks like new fill across a ravine.
Maybe cracked there at the cold joint of the two fused asphalt and
kinda like two band aids held at their ends and parallel and the
resonation influenced the liquefied fill and split down hill of the
ravine.

The seam in the middle of the road was exactly over the fill, no more
and no less? BZZZZZZT! NOGO

Look again, ya can see even the tiny break down lane/foot path and the
road are doing the same thing.

g Think what you like. I don't buy it for a second.

How were there no planes on the ground in Narita Int'l Airport?

Took a double take of that picture of the cars and planes mixed like
toys. I'd love to see the damage to the lower parts of the small
private planes, that would be interesting.

Yeah, the private portion of the airport was hammered, as were all the
parking areas. But there wasn't a single commercial jet on the field
and they showed all those empty terminals, just hangin' out there.
Eerie!

Anyone flying around at the time would have heard a earth quake alert
on their radios and would have been the first to discover it coming
ashore.

That, too, but I was amazed at no comm'l planes on the ground.

Sounds like your dirving at, that it was set up.

Huh?

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:57:52 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03...its-japan/#/20

Thanks Larry, that's a great series of pics. My favorite is the one with
the soldier carrying the old man.

Not my post, just a repost. Yeah, great pic of Hope, moving toward
Safety.

I can't help but notice the difference between how the Japanese people are
dealing with this crisis, compared to how the Haitians dealt with theirs.
Or the people in Louisiana, for that matter.

Yeah, the US handling of that still shames us every time anyone else
helps even one person in need during disaster, doesn't it?

As completely FUBAR as the situation is in Japan, I can't think of a more
resilient and hardworking people than the Japanese.

Yes, they're fine examples of the good side of human nature, Jon.

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:25:37 -0600, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA

Crack down to the subduction zone where magma will turn it to steam
and thus they get a new volcano on top of it.

Then why a whirlpool instead of a steaming start to a mountain?
NOGO

Have you ever flushed a toilet?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:23:40 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:25:37 -0600, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA

Crack down to the subduction zone where magma will turn it to steam
and thus they get a new volcano on top of it.

Then why a whirlpool instead of a steaming start to a mountain?
NOGO

Have you ever flushed a toilet?

Once or twice. So, where's the tsunami's drain hole, sir?
That said, look at the direction of spin. It's bassackwards for this
hemisphere.

--
Whomsoever controls the volume of money in any country is
absolute master of all industry and commerce and when you
realize that the entire system is very easily controlled,
one way or another, by a few powerful men at the top, you
will not have to be told how periods of inflation and
depression originate. --James Garfield
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

Anyone flying around at the time would have heard a earth quake alert
on their radios and would have been the first to discover it coming
ashore.

Sounds like your dirving at, that it was set up.

Of course it was. Just like the 9 / 11 business in NYC. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Have you ever flushed a toilet?

Once or twice. So, where's the tsunami's drain hole, sir?
That said, look at the direction of spin. It's bassackwards for this
hemisphere.

Larry that is a "more or less" an "urban myth" .
The way the swirl forms is many time more controlled
by the shape of the area around the exit port.
The Coriolis force is so weak it takes a well
planned scientific experiment to demonstrate it.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:29:47 -0600, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Have you ever flushed a toilet?

Once or twice. So, where's the tsunami's drain hole, sir?
That said, look at the direction of spin. It's bassackwards for this
hemisphere.

Larry that is a "more or less" an "urban myth" .
The way the swirl forms is many time more controlled
by the shape of the area around the exit port.
The Coriolis force is so weak it takes a well
planned scientific experiment to demonstrate it.

Ya took the humor right out of it, Lew. Note the winking smily.
Swirl direction is dictated by bowl hole direction, nothing more.

--
You create your opportunities by asking for them.
-- Patty Hansen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Metalworking... I noticed the construction under the people on the
top floor patio that looks untouched and all the derbies up a couple
of stories. What are the vertical burnt orange things, is the whole
building welded metal frame work like maybe scaffolding. Some of the
buildings moved intact and some held back enormous amount of force and
hardly look bent. Never noticed houses and roofs stay together so
well. Like one picture with a house stuck under a bridge and dented
the top just a bit. Screw and glue everything together? Wonder if some
houses are built to 'float' on their foundations and some of the polar
opposite philosophy of metal and bolted down.

I've been thinking of welding up a building since I saw a convenient
store in Texas. The guy welded just about any steel around and made
his own trusses. Just not sure how to transition to wood and how.
Anyhow, I don't think American houses would pile all together and
still be mostly intact.

Why can't we have cute mini vans here in America? I know where one
could get a deal on some. I just want the body. We're encouraged to
save gas , but only allowed to do so much. Those first Honda civics
and the mini are mini so what's up with the restriction?

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Metalworking... I noticed the construction under the people on the
top floor patio that looks untouched and all the derbies up a couple
of stories. What are the vertical burnt orange things, is the whole
building welded metal frame work like maybe scaffolding. Some of the
buildings moved intact and some held back enormous amount of force and
hardly look bent. Never noticed houses and roofs stay together so
well. Like one picture with a house stuck under a bridge and dented
the top just a bit. Screw and glue everything together? Wonder if some
houses are built to 'float' on their foundations and some of the polar
opposite philosophy of metal and bolted down.

Most of the newer homes are very well built and set on floating piers
due to the seismic activity in Japan.

I've been thinking of welding up a building since I saw a convenient
store in Texas. The guy welded just about any steel around and made
his own trusses. Just not sure how to transition to wood and how.
Anyhow, I don't think American houses would pile all together and
still be mostly intact.

Why can't we have cute mini vans here in America? I know where one
could get a deal on some. I just want the body. We're encouraged to
save gas , but only allowed to do so much. Those first Honda civics
and the mini are mini so what's up with the restriction?

The problem is that the average American won't fit in them. The
interiors are designed for the average Japanese person who stands 5'5"
or so tall. However some are imported here. Scion, Honda, Toyota,
Suzuki, Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan all have tiny cars available to
the US market.

They do have domestic only models though that will not be exported to
other countries.

SW

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Nasty! Condolences to the Japanese and others on affected coastal
cities.

I had some questions about what I saw in some of those pics.

Can anyone explain them?

What caused the whirlpool in Oarai?

Why did the road in Satte split exactly on the yellow middle line?

The paving machine was 1/2 as wide as the road and made a seam
down the middle?

Oh, and the earth under it decided to follow suit. I see. Thanks, Art.
;^) How did the road builders find the fault and follow it exactly?

I agree it sounds completely far fetched but I haven't seen any other
Art