Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Hi Res Photos of Earthquake Damage in Japan

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:33:14 -0800, "Artemus"
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

Incredible. They built a power station right on the beach. Pic #25.
At least it wasn't a nuclear one.

Hey, I lived downwind from SONGS (San Onofre Nuclear Generation
Station) for 35 years. It's right on the beach in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ono...rating_Station
They probably got a few waves today.
shrug

I once saw a video of a boneyard airplane being catapulted into one
of those containment vessels, and the airplane sort of splashed and
left an airplane-shaped stain on the surface of the concrete. They're
built to contain a whole meltdown - one of those could probably survive
going off a cliff in a landslide and not leak.

But, there's no getting through the paranoia of the NIMBYs. They're a
lot like the warmingists, that way.

Thanks,
Rich