Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney, Shingles - Earthquake Damage

Hi gang!

Just talked to son in Indiana today, for first time since the earthquake
(about a month ago?) He just
noticed that some shingles around his chimney appear pushed up and
thinks, perhaps, the quake
might have caused movement of the chimney. He said the morning of the
quake, he woke from
a very sound sleep because it sounded like someone trying to break in,
kind of like the thumping
of a washing machine when the load isn't balanced. Wow! I've been
through some very mild ones,
but nothing like that. He has full basement, with wide fireplace in
basement, so it is probably pretty sturdy.
On end of house. Can a chimney like that move that much without
cracking? he hasn't looked real
close, but is very good about taking care of the house and does lots of
his own work.

The only quakes I have experienced didn't make a sound, other than
knick-knacks rattling on the
shelf or dishes on the dinner table. Do quakes make a sound like that
without structural sounds?
Eek!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 May 2008 19:00:30 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

[...]

I awoke one night in Las Vegas to a sound. Then tremble came along and
the shaking. A local in Reno, NV described his as a vehicle hitting
the house.

In a Sports Bar 11 miles away, the moved customers outside when the
bottles shook

Listening to Earthquakes
Created by Andy Michael, USGS, and Daniel Ross, 12 year old USGS
Volunteer for Science.

To learn about this we will convert the shaking during earthquakes to
sound and then listen to the sounds.

Converting Shaking to Sound

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/listen/index.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do quakes make a sound like that
without structural sounds?

NOAA

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/listen/index.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do quakes make a sound like that
without structural sounds?

NOAA

**http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/listen/index.php

Sorry! A link to the sounds. Tiny *.wav files.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/.../allsounds.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
[...]

The one that I heard sound from sounded like a big truck backing up just
outside. Then the shaking arrived.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:34:02 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
[...]

Those are the first and third waves. The first sound; is rocks and
earth cracking. Third is the shaking. The second wave is described
like a limp rope.

When the third wave arrives, you feel like it's a roller coaster.