Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Chimney, Shingles - Earthquake Damage

Hi gang!

Just talked to son in Indiana today, for first time since the earthquake
(about a month ago?) He just
noticed that some shingles around his chimney appear pushed up and
thinks, perhaps, the quake
might have caused movement of the chimney. He said the morning of the
quake, he woke from
a very sound sleep because it sounded like someone trying to break in,
kind of like the thumping
of a washing machine when the load isn't balanced. Wow! I've been
through some very mild ones,
but nothing like that. He has full basement, with wide fireplace in
basement, so it is probably pretty sturdy.
On end of house. Can a chimney like that move that much without
cracking? he hasn't looked real
close, but is very good about taking care of the house and does lots of
his own work.

The only quakes I have experienced didn't make a sound, other than
knick-knacks rattling on the
shelf or dishes on the dinner table. Do quakes make a sound like that
without structural sounds?
Eek!