Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Two questions:

- Why so soon?

- Does the new house have a big shop?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OH, boy.. now you've gone and done it. I suspect that the family didn't
outgrow the present domicile, but your needs(?) did.

Moving is right up there, near the top of the list of some of life's most
stressful experiences, along with marriage, close family death, and similar
events.

I recommend that you take the time during the course of moving to have some
family fun/enjoyment, not thinking about the moving details (trips to a zoo,
museum or a big Cabela's store, for example).

--
WB

"Ignoramus13991" wrote in message
I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Two questions:

- Why so soon?

Due to housing crisis, good deals on homes are available, even under
replacement costs. and I do not expect this to last long.

- Does the new house have a big shop?

Yes, it does have a very nice shed, the size of two of my
garages. Plus a lot more land.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 11:03*pm, Ignoramus13991 ignoramus13...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-03-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Two questions:

- Why so soon?

Due to housing crisis, good deals on homes are available, even under
replacement costs. and I do not expect this to last long.

- Does the new house have a big shop?

Yes, it does have a very nice shed, the size of two of my
garages. Plus a lot more land.

Does it have a HOA?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Wild_Bill wrote:
OH, boy.. now you've gone and done it. I suspect that the family didn't
outgrow the present domicile, but your needs(?) did.

It was a combination of many things: low house prices, my (moderate)
inflation expectations, reasonable interest rates etc.

Plus it has a big shed and more land.

Moving is right up there, near the top of the list of some of life's most
stressful experiences, along with marriage, close family death, and similar
events.

yep

I recommend that you take the time during the course of moving to have some
family fun/enjoyment, not thinking about the moving details (trips to a zoo,
museum or a big Cabela's store, for example).

This is a good idea, I am not that kind of person, but I will try to
do it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Now - Moving

Despite what's "predicted" by overly optimistic (or possibly intentionally
misleading) media reports, I expect the real estate market to continue to
decline, but that's just my cynical viewpoint.

There is too much global volatility, IMO, for anyone to be making any
economic predictions beyond, well, yesterday.

Home values are down by 30% in some areas, according to some of the info
I've seen, and the major banks are saying that forclosures are going to be
historically high for the remaining year (but may level off.. yeah, right,
they would know).

The potential U.S. involvement in one or two more conflicts in foreign
countries and a couple of domestic natural disasters/hurricanes/floods
could/likely would start a real economic ****storm here.
I don't think the population would tolerate another FEMA/Katrina cluster****
again.. but then about half/most? folks are content with their sports,
celebrity news and TV.

There are other major problems looming on the horizon which can't be fixed
with Congressional allocations (more debt).

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, changing duty stations, even internationally.. BTDT although I was
about 40 years younger then.. and pre-arranged transport, a duffle plus
carry-on isn't moving IMO, either.

Stress is what it is.. I've seen interviews with people who's pets have been
killed, completely hysterical (needing sedation).. and wanting some serious
revenge, and sometimes getting it.

It seems as though moving was a regular routine, Steve, well before the 40th
move.

--
WB

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message

I've moved 40 times, not counting stuff like from
97th General barracks to Dornigheim or Merrell Barracks
to Langwasser Sued. Same mailing address, so I don't
count them even though there certainly was packing up
of "stuff" and physically moving it. Sure, moving is
more stressful than a regular routine, but I can
absolutely assure you that moving isn't even on the same
scale with marriage and death.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Wild_Bill wrote:
Despite what's "predicted" by overly optimistic (or possibly intentionally
misleading) media reports, I expect the real estate market to continue to
decline, but that's just my cynical viewpoint.

Wel, the future will tell. I am not looking to make a quick buck. But
I know that good things happen when one buys things at below
replacement costs.

There is too much global volatility, IMO, for anyone to be making any
economic predictions beyond, well, yesterday.

This is a great point. Many things that happen, are such that almost
no one expects them.

Home values are down by 30% in some areas, according to some of the info
I've seen, and the major banks are saying that forclosures are going to be
historically high for the remaining year (but may level off.. yeah, right,
they would know).

This would, more or less, follow unemployment rate.

I am not trying to be a global pundit and try to consider every
worldwide interdepencency of interest rates, central banks, and
conflicts in oil countries. I just try to go by price and see if a
price offers a margin of safety when buying.

I was gung ho on stocks for the last two years. After they had such a
great run and became much pricier, I no longer consider them to be as
safe as I thought about then when they were cheap. Meanwhile, real
estate continued to get cheaper.

I would also hate to lose my savings due to inflation, and I think
that homes/land offer a good degree of inflation protection, with much
less risk than kooky stuff like gold.

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Can you park a 20 foot container in your driveway? Packing stuff slowly
yourself is far less hassle (and offers some opportunity to clean up and
organize) than packing (or paying people to pack) stuff in a hurry.

My limited experiences with "movers" have made me wish to keep them very
limited indeed - like never again if at all possible. On the other hand,
my local riggers are delightful, and get machines moved with minimum
fuss for a very reasonable cost.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 2, 9:30*pm, Ignoramus13991 ignoramus13...@NOSPAM.
13991.invalid wrote:
I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Congratulations. Bigger shop and more land sound great.

I, for one, will be looking forward to a play-by-play narrative of
your adventure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

13991.invalid wrote:
I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Congratulations. Bigger shop and more land sound great.

I, for one, will be looking forward to a play-by-play narrative of
your adventure.

Thanks. Lots of things to do now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Two questions:

- Why so soon?

Due to housing crisis, good deals on homes are available, even under
replacement costs. and I do not expect this to last long.

- Does the new house have a big shop?

Yes, it does have a very nice shed, the size of two of my
garages. Plus a lot more land.

Since you are now planning to move anyway, and given the latest attacks
on gun owners in your current state, I'd give serious consideration to
making your move to a different state.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Can you park a 20 foot container in your driveway? Packing stuff slowly
yourself is far less hassle (and offers some opportunity to clean up and
organize) than packing (or paying people to pack) stuff in a hurry.

My limited experiences with "movers" have made me wish to keep them very
limited indeed - like never again if at all possible. On the other hand,
my local riggers are delightful, and get machines moved with minimum
fuss for a very reasonable cost.

A you pack it type of move is definitely preferable for anyone with
"unusual" items like large tools. A "full service" mover will charge a
lot to handle stuff they aren't familiar with.

I'm not sure how Iggy's neighbors would like a 20' container in his
driveway, though if it's only for a week or two he may be ok. One of the
consumer oriented "PODS" type of light duty containers would likely be
more acceptable to the neighbors, though I'm not sure one could handle
the weight of Iggy's mill or lathe.

Other you pack type moving options typically will park a regular semi
trailer for a few days for you to pack it, which works fine if you can
park it on street for that duration. Normal items can be loaded by hand
truck and ramp, and big stuff like mills and lathes can be readily
loaded using the services of a flatbed wrecker for an hour or two. I
loaded (and unloaded) a 1T pickup and a forklift to/from a 53' semi this
way with no issues.

If he has sufficient house overlap, he may do just as well doing the
move himself with his covered trailer on a room by room or similarly
logical basis. I did my previous move this way since the distance was
~15 miles and I had no time pressure and it worked well. My most recent
move was 1,700 miles, so even though I still own property in my previous
area, I had to move all the critical stuff in one shot in a u-pack type
53' semi, and then follow up moving other non critical stuff at my
leisure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Two questions:

- Why so soon?

Due to housing crisis, good deals on homes are available, even under
replacement costs. and I do not expect this to last long.

- Does the new house have a big shop?

Yes, it does have a very nice shed, the size of two of my
garages. Plus a lot more land.

Since you are now planning to move anyway, and given the latest attacks
on gun owners in your current state, I'd give serious consideration to
making your move to a different state.

Pete, this is actually a good point, as I would like to be in a gun
friendly state, but at this point it does not seem practical.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus13991 wrote:

[...]

Pete, I think that what we'll do is, I will pack my tools and parts
myself. The movers will pack most of household stuff. I will get a
rigger to move the mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 3, 11:52*am, "Pete C." wrote:

I'm not sure how Iggy's neighbors would like a 20' container in his
driveway, though if it's only for a week or two he may be ok.

Iggy's had some pretty "unusual" things in his driveway. I imagine his
neighbors are pretty understanding. If not, then they c an think of
the container as a step towards being rid of their interesting
neighbor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 11:52 am, "Pete C." wrote:

I'm not sure how Iggy's neighbors would like a 20' container in his
driveway, though if it's only for a week or two he may be ok.

Iggy's had some pretty "unusual" things in his driveway. I imagine his
neighbors are pretty understanding. If not, then they c an think of
the container as a step towards being rid of their interesting
neighbor.

I've been to his house. I think he could sneak a 20' container up his
driveway without it being intrusive. He ought to be able to get away with
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/03/2011 08:01 AM, Ignoramus22805 wrote:

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Yeah, yeah, in THIS group, you need say NO MORE!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Wild_Bill wrote:
OH, boy.. now you've gone and done it. I suspect that the family didn't
outgrow the present domicile, but your needs(?) did.

It was a combination of many things: low house prices, my (moderate)
inflation expectations, reasonable interest rates etc.

So what are you doing with your current home? House prices are lower for both buyer and
seller and that person may be you.

Plus it has a big shed and more land.

Man space and land is always a plus. Sorry to learn you didn't move to Indiana though.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

When I make my annual pilgrimage to Montgomery, probably in the summer, I'll
try to stop buy.

Turn off autocorrect

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

When I make my annual pilgrimage to Montgomery, probably in the summer,
I'll
try to stop buy.

Turn off autocorrect

No, that was me. I don't use autocorrect.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

When I make my annual pilgrimage to Montgomery, probably in the summer,
I'll
try to stop buy.

Turn off autocorrect

No, that was me. I don't use autocorrect.

I hate it when I finally read what I wrote and have posted it already.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Keep the old place.
Demolish the house.
Build a new shop on the space left from the house.
Get a high speed all weather rail link to and from wherever the new
house is.
Send the espousa(s) out for a second job to pay for it all.
Give keys, access codes and the like to no one but you.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:11:16 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

On 03/02/2011 08:30 PM, Ignoramus13991 wrote:
I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Ohhh, NOOoooooo! Moving to my present house was a HUGE ordeal, and it
took YEARS to find all the missing stuff. I found an expensive pump
pliers (sim. to channel-lock) in a box of pillows, years later!

It took well over 10 years to recover, but on the other hand, I REALLY
needed the space. It was also wonderful to have a basement that stayed dry!

Jon

EXACTLY

I moved 18 years ago and it was only a three mile move. The number one
thing I learned is its too much work to move.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 03/02/2011 08:30 PM, Ignoramus13991 wrote:
I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Ohhh, NOOoooooo! Moving to my present house was a HUGE ordeal, and it
took YEARS to find all the missing stuff. I found an expensive pump
pliers (sim. to channel-lock) in a box of pillows, years later!

It took well over 10 years to recover, but on the other hand, I REALLY
needed the space. It was also wonderful to have a basement that stayed dry!

Jon

EXACTLY

I moved 18 years ago and it was only a three mile move. The number one
thing I learned is its too much work to move.

Karl

Eh, you whusses. I moved 1,700 miles and had no problems. My shop was up
and running in short order, stuff unpacked in an orderly fashion based
on my detailed inventory of what was packed where, and I was fully
online with two phone lines and cable modem a day before the semi
arrived. Piece of cake, you just have to be organized
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13991 wrote:
... I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

My sympathies. Packing a shop is painful. Little by little you lose
functionality until you're down to a handful of screwdrivers, pliers,
and hammer. A regression through the process of building up the shop.
Reminds me of HAL's decommissioning in "2001 - A Space Odyssey".

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 03/02/2011 08:30 PM, Ignoramus13991 wrote:
I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Ohhh, NOOoooooo! Moving to my present house was a HUGE ordeal, and it
took YEARS to find all the missing stuff. I found an expensive pump
pliers (sim. to channel-lock) in a box of pillows, years later!

It took well over 10 years to recover, but on the other hand, I REALLY
needed the space. It was also wonderful to have a basement that stayed dry!

Jon

Grand Dad used to claim "Three moves is equal to a fire".
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:11:14 -0800 (PST), KD7HB
wrote:

He may be able to get and empty one there, but I bet the truck could not load it back on, once the container is loaded!

I moved with a 40' container, delivered with a tilt-tray. I
loaded it with everything, 2 metal lathes, 2 wood lathes, mill,
sawbench and all my tools, shelving, workbenches, steel and wood stock
and furniture. I had to give away about 300 turning blanks in
Jarrah, NI pine, Olive, Sheoak and various other timbers as there was
no room left in the container.

The same truck picked it up and dropped it off at my son's property
where it was stored for a few months, then it was moved with a
side-loader to my new house, unloaded and returned empty to my son's
where he uses it to store steel and car parts.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Jon Elson wrote:
On 03/03/2011 08:01 AM, Ignoramus22805 wrote:

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Yeah, yeah, in THIS group, you need say NO MORE!

Looks like the sellers BSed us on something very important, so after
all, it may not happen!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-03, Jon wrote:
On 03/03/2011 08:01 AM, Ignoramus22805 wrote:

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Yeah, yeah, in THIS group, you need say NO MORE!

Looks like the sellers BSed us on something very important, so after
all, it may not happen!

OH, oh! What was that? Well, WAY better you found out before you
signed any papers!

The first house I owned had so many concealed problems, I could write a
BOOK! When it rained, the porcelain tile basement literally had JETS of
water streaming out of the walls and hitting the floor two feet away!

When the home inspector was working through the place, he found
something that didn't look right. One look and I knew the place had had
a SERIOUS fire. The front half of the house had "new" 2x12 joists, the
back had "old" 2x10s, as in pre-1938 or so, when the wood measure was
different. There was a step in the floor height at the transition
of about an inch.

There was still old, partially burned wiring in the place from the fire.

We had trees growing into the soil line, and I would run a snake down
there and fill a small trash can with roots. What a messy job!

There's more, but I'll spare you the details.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/03/2011 08:04 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I moved 18 years ago and it was only a three mile move. The number one
thing I learned is its too much work to move.

Yeah, I HEAR you! That move was a real ordeal, I also moved somewhere
about that same distance. Now, I have SO MUCH more big, heavy stuff, it
is just out of the question.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

On 03/03/2011 08:04 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I moved 18 years ago and it was only a three mile move. The number one
thing I learned is its too much work to move.

Yeah, I HEAR you! That move was a real ordeal, I also moved somewhere
about that same distance. Now, I have SO MUCH more big, heavy stuff, it
is just out of the question.

I moved 1,700 miles with no issues, and the 53' semi I packed included:

7,060# Chevy 1T CC DRW pickup
6,300# Yale 3,000# cap forklift
2,000# Bridgeport mill
1,000# Atlas/Clausing lathe
500# Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
60 gal vertical compressor
Large tool chest and tool cabinet
Shop desk
4'x6' shop work table
Many individual tool boxes
5KW gas generator
Frame scaffolding collection
Two 6' stepladders
Riding lawn mower
Wood chipper
Large refrigerator
Large stack washer / dryer
Full compliment of office, bedroom, living room, dining room furniture
Gun safe
File cabinet
and a bunch of odds and ends.

All it takes is organization, which is best handled by a you-pack-it
type of move.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 4, 9:59*am, Ignoramus20691 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-03-03, Jon Elson wrote:

On 03/03/2011 08:01 AM, Ignoramus22805 wrote:

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Yeah, yeah, in THIS group, you need say NO MORE!

Looks like the sellers BSed us on something very important, so after
all, it may not happen!

Congratulations!

I did the same thing you are doing a year ago. Falling property
values put a house we really liked into reach. Moved from a home in
planned subdivision with a HOA from H&*^ to a one acre lot with two,
two car garages. Wife got the garden she always wanted, kids got
soccer field and dog and I got shop and an open bay for car repair.
Well that was the plan- open bay is full of garden stuff..

Old house sold in 4 days. I worked hard to price and time it
right.

We moved all the small stuff using a ¾ ton truck then hired a mover to
move the big stuff. The mover was a friend and we paid him $50 an
hour for two guys and truck + equipment. They had no trouble moving
the mill-drill and 13 X40 Jet lathe. Movers have some nice
specialized equipment for moving big stuff that worked well for the
machines. We spaced the move out over two weeks.

Good luck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-03-04, Pete C. wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

[...]

You are right, all it takes is organization.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Every single bin I packed for my move was individually numbered and the
contents listed on an inventory document. That inventory document was in
hardcopy in multiple locations as well as in soft copy on my laptop so
it couldn't get lost.

Are you familiar with the term "obsessive compulsive"? Those afflicted
sometimes use the euphemism "organized". G

But, when you REALLY needed to find something, it must have been satisfying.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Every single bin I packed for my move was individually numbered and the
contents listed on an inventory document. That inventory document was in
hardcopy in multiple locations as well as in soft copy on my laptop so
it couldn't get lost.

Are you familiar with the term "obsessive compulsive"? Those afflicted
sometimes use the euphemism "organized". G

But, when you REALLY needed to find something, it must have been satisfying.

Bob

Oh, no, my shop is a mess, I just know where everything is. It's just
that for a 1,700 mile move where I need to get things back up and
running quickly and working solo, there is no option but to be highly
organized.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:59:11 -0600, Ignoramus20691

On 2011-03-03, Jon Elson wrote:
On 03/03/2011 08:01 AM, Ignoramus22805 wrote:

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Yeah, yeah, in THIS group, you need say NO MORE!

Looks like the sellers BSed us on something very important, so after
all, it may not happen!

Bummer.

Did you hire your own house inspector, Ig? They can really pay for
themselves in cases like that.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo