Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22805 Ignoramus22805 is offline

Default Moving

On 2011-03-03, Pete C. wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus13991 wrote:

I will be moving to a new house in the next two months. So many
projects will be on hold, I will have to pack the stuff, disassemble
machines etc.

Can you park a 20 foot container in your driveway? Packing stuff slowly
yourself is far less hassle (and offers some opportunity to clean up and
organize) than packing (or paying people to pack) stuff in a hurry.

My limited experiences with "movers" have made me wish to keep them very
limited indeed - like never again if at all possible. On the other hand,
my local riggers are delightful, and get machines moved with minimum
fuss for a very reasonable cost.

A you pack it type of move is definitely preferable for anyone with
"unusual" items like large tools. A "full service" mover will charge a
lot to handle stuff they aren't familiar with.

I'm not sure how Iggy's neighbors would like a 20' container in his
driveway, though if it's only for a week or two he may be ok. One of the
consumer oriented "PODS" type of light duty containers would likely be
more acceptable to the neighbors, though I'm not sure one could handle
the weight of Iggy's mill or lathe.

Other you pack type moving options typically will park a regular semi
trailer for a few days for you to pack it, which works fine if you can
park it on street for that duration. Normal items can be loaded by hand
truck and ramp, and big stuff like mills and lathes can be readily
loaded using the services of a flatbed wrecker for an hour or two. I
loaded (and unloaded) a 1T pickup and a forklift to/from a 53' semi this
way with no issues.

If he has sufficient house overlap, he may do just as well doing the
move himself with his covered trailer on a room by room or similarly
logical basis. I did my previous move this way since the distance was
~15 miles and I had no time pressure and it worked well. My most recent
move was 1,700 miles, so even though I still own property in my previous
area, I had to move all the critical stuff in one shot in a u-pack type
53' semi, and then follow up moving other non critical stuff at my
leisure.

Pete, I think that what we'll do is, I will pack my tools and parts
myself. The movers will pack most of household stuff. I will get a
rigger to move the mill.