Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for a whatsit

--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Feb 2011 18:14:49 GMT, steamer wrote:

--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

If speed and accuracy requirements are modest see "ball transfers" --
the 2-axis version of what you've described. For example, McMaster
pages 1229 thru 1231.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Could you Yoke a bearing?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Motion-Control-Fluid-Power/Rod-Ends-Yokes/Yokes/_/N-77foh?cm_re=Category-_-Breadcrumb-_-Yokes

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports
for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm
looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that
holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Just a clevis?

http://pneumatics-en.timmer-pneumati...gki-e-stz2.jpg

http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/189/18995_300.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 22, 1:14*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
* * * * --Thx,

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Steel, Stainless, Titanium: *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *www.nmpproducts.com
* * * * * * * * * *---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Look at parts for RC model race cars. Google "turnbuckle traxxas" for
a good variety of choices.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:16:08 -0800, Winston
wrote:

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

Most of those are actually Heim joints.

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Feb 2011 20:45:50 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Not a rod end exactly, as the bearing o.d. will be rolling
on a surface..

OH, _those_. Those are called "bolts", Ed.

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.
-- Charlotte-Catherine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

Most of those are actually Heim joints.

That'll be what I learned today.
Turns out Steamer just wanted casters anyway.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-8-eighth-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-rigid-caster-41512.html

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

steamer wrote:
--I'm going to build a rotary surface that's being turned by one of
those worm drive windshield wiper motors. What I need are some supports for
the surface so that it won't sag when there's a load on it. What I'm looking
for are those things that have a short threaded rod with a clevis that holds
a bearing on one end. I could make 'em but I'm thinking they're probably
available from someone's catalog if I only knew what they were called.
Anyone got an answer?
--Thx,

Rod End?
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rod+end&aq=f &aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=

Most of those are actually Heim joints.

That'll be what I learned today.
Turns out Steamer just wanted casters anyway.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-8-eighth-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-light-duty-rigid-caster-41512.html

That'll be what I learned today. Judging by the Wanted text, I'da
never guess tit.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Gotcha; that's similar to what I had in mind: threaded shank with
height adjusting nut and shank in a holder that's bolted to the base. Holder
has setscrew to lock bearing holder in place.
--Caster is an interesting idea; now if I can just find one with a
1/2" dia wheel! :-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Yeah that'll do nicely if I can get a bearing i.d. to match the
hitch pin; that shouldn't be too hard. Arg! I might actually have some in my
pneumatics collection; thanks for memory jog! :-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

yes, they're called a cam follower. They are available from bearing
suppliers. They are relativley cheap.

Colchester 1500: Whatsit? Nick Müller Metalworking 7 December 20th 05 12:48 AM
Whatsit Pete Snell Metalworking 14 October 13th 05 12:24 AM
Here's a whatsit for ya.. steamer Metalworking 11 August 5th 05 05:45 PM
Whatsit called? - no-growth groundcover mat Jennifer Home Repair 6 May 13th 05 12:50 AM
Dishwasher air gap - whatsit??? Doug Kanter Home Repair 15 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM